Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DEN first class catering issues

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by chermorg
It has likely been considered already... but could someone give me the info on the following?

People continually bring up DL/AA handling the Gate Gourmet issue in LAX as reference for how UA is messing this up. LAX has multiple large scale caterers to my knowledge. Am I incorrect in this?

DEN, being a very large UA presence, and smaller but substantial F9 and WN presences, do they have another catering company that could pick up the slack? Granted, UA could likely pre-cater certain flights in other hubs (which to my understanding they are doing as able, especially with the international flights), however, my question here is as to the practicability of them just up and getting a new caterer at DEN.
There has been lots of discussion of this up-thread. While many possible interim solutions were discussed, the consensus was United would not spend the money anyway. Biggest gripe many (most?) have is misleading communication starting back in October, which had since turned into communication blackout.
Two Bee likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by goodeats21
There has been lots of discussion of this up-thread. While many possible interim solutions were discussed, the consensus was United would not spend the money anyway. Biggest gripe many (most?) have is misleading communication starting back in October, which had since turned into communication blackout.
I will admit I haven't seen these posts, though they may exist. My question then would become was the money worth spending? Did anyone actually consider how much money it would cost, and the time it would take to ramp up operations at another kitchen/other solution? Forgive me if I'm asking a lot, but I don't particularly care to sift through a 40+ page thread looking for the couple good posts that may have this information. Based on the posts I've seen it doesn't look like people are considering everything, but I may be wrong.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by chermorg
I will admit I haven't seen these posts, though they may exist. My question then would become was the money worth spending? Did anyone actually consider how much money it would cost, and the time it would take to ramp up operations at another kitchen/other solution? Forgive me if I'm asking a lot, but I don't particularly care to sift through a 40+ page thread looking for the couple good posts that may have this information. Based on the posts I've seen it doesn't look like people are considering everything, but I may be wrong.
To summarize. A Number of solutions were suggested including using other catering facilities, flying or trucking in the meals from another UA flight kitchen, using other companies at Denver, and contracting with the BOB supplier to provide a higher quality option they could use in F, handing out food vouchers at DEN, among others.

A number of posters thought that all of those would either be too complex or not cost effective, some cited the proposer's lack of knowledge of airline realities.

Only UA can answer the question of whether any of the options, or others, were costed out before they chose the route they took.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by milepig
Only UA can answer the question of whether any of the options, or others, were costed out before they chose the route they took.
aka "let them eat BoB burgers"
Two Bee and Kreid33 like this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by ecoomer
Nope. No information whatsoever.

Update, flew out (paid F) yesterday DEN-AUS at 1300. "Snack" basket passed- never refilled. I was in 5F. Last bag of pretzels were extremely stale.

Good times...

e
DEN-ICT Monday, paid F, 1400 snack flight. 4A on an E175. Snack basket got to me with two pretzels and an Oreo pack remaining. I asked the FA if she could replenish it and she said its all that she had on board.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Flying on a 319 a few days ago (over 3 1/2 hr scheduled flight). Sitting in the back and requested a cheeseburger and 2 G&T's. The male f/a stated, "You can't have 2 drinks!" My response was that I would like 2 of em and would be using a coupon to pay for one. He handed me the burger and then went on his merry way. The female f/a gave me both bottles of booze, and said that an extra coupon would NOT be required. About an hour later my new friend approached me and stated, "You owe me a coupon for that extra drink," which I gladly handed to him. Kinda made me feel like we were establishing who was really the skipper of the ship, and who was trying to pull a fast one. NO BIGGIE, just mentioning it because there are lots-a f/a's with occassional/enforceable rules, up their sleeves. The female f/a had my coupon in her hand and was about to scan it when all of a sudden she handed it back to me stating, "You won't need this tonight!"
artvandalay likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:19 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Two Bee
Flying on a 319 a few days ago (over 3 1/2 hr scheduled flight). Sitting in the back and requested a cheeseburger and 2 G&T's. The male f/a stated, "You can't have 2 drinks!" My response was that I would like 2 of em and would be using a coupon to pay for one. He handed me the burger and then went on his merry way. The female f/a gave me both bottles of booze, and said that an extra coupon would NOT be required. About an hour later my new friend approached me and stated, "You owe me a coupon for that extra drink," which I gladly handed to him. Kinda made me feel like we were establishing who was really the skipper of the ship, and who was trying to pull a fast one. NO BIGGIE, just mentioning it because there are lots-a f/a's with occassional/enforceable rules, up their sleeves. The female f/a had my coupon in her hand and was about to scan it when all of a sudden she handed it back to me stating, "You won't need this tonight!"
What a great sense of crew discipline and training showing through. When even your coworkers openly demonstrate that you're acting stupid in front of a passenger, that's real achievement. And even they probably have no way to report / do anything about bad apples.

Originally Posted by limey1K
DEN-ICT Monday, paid F, 1400 snack flight. 4A on an E175. Snack basket got to me with two pretzels and an Oreo pack remaining. I asked the FA if she could replenish it and she said its all that she had on board.
This has become absolutely laughable / cryable. Cannot even stock / overprovision non-fresh items properly anymore to make up for the primary catering mess.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 7:17 am

Data point - my wife and I each got $75 vouchers I wrote in about our BoB burger meal out of DEN. No status; paid check-in upgrade to F.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), Meliá Rewards Platino, NH Platinum
1. What can I expect in DEN-CLT operated by Express (in First)? It says "breakfast", but...

2. Are there any rules (when you can and when you can´t) regarding asking the F/A to bring you some food from Y? I´ve flown many times in F, but never used that option...

Thanks
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by Marcin83
1. What can I expect in DEN-CLT operated by Express (in First)? It says "breakfast", but...

2. Are there any rules (when you can and when you can´t) regarding asking the F/A to bring you some food from Y? I´ve flown many times in F, but never used that option...

Thanks
1. a. Egg McMuffin & yogurt
b. cold cereal & yogurt

2. You can ask, and it ALL depends!
(on what nobody knows - as the answer emanates from the top of their heads).
Old Feb 17, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K
Flew DEN-HNL up front yesterday, offered the beef with macaroni or lentil "chili" with polenta. Same cheesecake and fruit cup mentioned earlier.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) | National Exec Elite | Global Entry | HH Silver
Originally Posted by GMoneyCO
I was on a DEN --> PHL flight last night and had one of the undressed burgers as well. I'll report back once I hear from 1K Voice.
Emailed 1K voice and they put 2500 miles into my account.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GMoneyCO
Emailed 1K voice and they put 2500 miles into my account.
Equivalent to $50 e-cert. Down from $125.

Though if I complained again, I'd say, "no comp, please just fix this."
Old Feb 17, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), Meliá Rewards Platino, NH Platinum
b. cold cereal & yogurt

So it was only B, NO CHOICE. Cold corn flakes, Chobani and nothing else. For flight scheduled for 3.5h!!!! No PDB and 40 mins before landing (20 before turning on the seat belt signs) I asked for a beer and the F/A said it was too late...
Old Feb 17, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
b. cold cereal & yogurt

1.a is impossible on an Express flight - there aren't any ovens on these particular aircraft.

Originally Posted by Marcin83
So it was only B, NO CHOICE. Cold corn flakes, Chobani and nothing else. For flight scheduled for 3.5h!!!! No PDB and 40 mins before landing (20 before turning on the seat belt signs) I asked for a beer and the F/A said it was too late...
Yup, that's it on a 170/175 Express flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.