Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Flex-Schedule Program,bidding for voluntary bumps & sometimes confirmed rebookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Flex-Schedule Program,bidding for voluntary bumps & sometimes confirmed rebookings

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:47 am

You'll be asked again at the gate if you are still willing to volunteer.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhunt
Question is I'm I locked into being bumped or still my decision at airport before boarding?
Originally Posted by sincx
You'll be asked again at the gate if you are still willing to volunteer.
Right. UA won't move anyone without confirming a replacement flight. And if the oversold flight is out of LAS, I doubt they'd need to go to $1000 anyway. Volunteering on the app is no different than volunteering at the kiosk; it's non-binding (so is the amount*) and you should check with the gate agent to see if they actually need anyone.

* For one thing, unless they've changed something recently, all volunteers get the same compensation -- the highest offer they had to make. And for another thing, you can always respond with "I know I said $300, but I was thinking it'd be a two-hour delay, not a ten-hour delay (or whatever); I'll do it for $600 instead." If you do this, you do risk having them decide to look for another volunteer instead, of course.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Hopefully this is the right thread for this question. I am booked to go YYC-MEX tonight. I’m playing the SDC game to try to either save a nights accommodation / get accommodation somewhere cheaper than my original LAX layover / get some more PQMs, or any combination of the three.

Upon SDC to go YYC-DEN-SFO-MEX I got a prompt on the app saying they might be looking for volunteers to give up their seat on DEN-SFO and to select a bid amount. The four options were $200, $300, $400 or other. I selected $400.

This is is the first time this has happened to me voluntarily (usually I’ll see the GA pre flight and will be successful in getting bumped).

Anyways, have any of you had this experience? Is $400 a good price for this route. Also, the flight doesn’t appear to be overbooked (there are still seats available when looking on the standby tab). Maybe it’s just a result of what’s going on in SFO today. UA737 in case anyone is curious.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 6, 2018 at 9:10 pm Reason: Moved to VDB bid thread
Old Apr 6, 2018, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Wrong thread, but getting bumped only happens a small fraction of the time when the app asks for volunteers. That said, UA 737 now showing as booked full, so you have a chance.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Wrong thread, but getting bumped only happens a small fraction of the time when the app asks for volunteers. That said, UA 737 now showing as booked full, so you have a chance.
ive has a couple of hours to think about the strategy on this one. Hang back on standby with the potential to get bumped. If the bump doesn’t come through, same day change at the last minute to the direct flight tomorrow to avoid the red eye. I’ll report back on how it goes.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:22 pm
Suspended

Looks like the long delay got you, as it's now showing over 30 on the standby list but about 10 empty seats.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by david_oz

ive has a couple of hours to think about the strategy on this one. Hang back on standby with the potential to get bumped. If the bump doesn’t come through, same day change at the last minute to the direct flight tomorrow to avoid the red eye. I’ll report back on how it goes.
Looks like the long delay got you, as it's now showing over 30 on the standby list but about 10 empty seats.
yep. So the conclusion of this story is that I’m now in a hotel in Denver, which united was kind enough to pay for (I didn’t realize free hotel during IIROPS was a 1k perk, so that was a nice surprise). I’m booked on the direct DEN-MEX flight tomorrow because there was no chance of making the connection in SFO and also no chance of getting bumped in DEN because seats opened up. Overall I’d say it’s a neutral result
  • saved $100+ on a hotel that I was going to have to pay for somewhere
  • got $40 to spend at the airport tomorrow morning. Side note: does anyone know if these can be used at any merchant at the airport? Or is it limited to food and beverage only? The answer determines whether I’m getting breakfast at Elways or a new pair of sunglasses
  • arriving in MEX slightly later than planned. Currently #1 on the upgrade list with one spot left, but they are selling upgrades for $230 so my chances are slim
  • missed out on about 1000 PQMs, which shouldn’t be an issue. Barring any trip cancellations I should be good for 1k again
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:03 pm
Suspended

Believe the vouchers are food and beverage only, but perhaps it varies by location. I know I've seen reports of people being rejected when attempting, e.g., to buy Starbucks gift cards with such vouchers.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Believe the vouchers are food and beverage only, but perhaps it varies by location. I know I've seen reports of people being rejected when attempting, e.g., to buy Starbucks gift cards with such vouchers.
I believe that's the case, but -- OP, they're not limited to the airport. If you're hungry now, you should ask if the hotel accepts it. I've been able to use them at the Marriott at IAD as well as an off-airport Marriott near IAH.

As an aside, I'm pleasantly surprised that they told you that hotels were a 1K benefit. They don't always go out of their way to advertise. (e.g., it's not actually published anywhere).
Old May 15, 2018, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA - Always
Enter amount to volunteer for?

Just got an option to volunteer for an upcoming flight. I get to choose the amount of travel credit I'd be willing to take if they need volunteers. First time I have seen this. I haven't flown United much recently so might be old news.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 15, 2018 at 11:45 pm Reason: merged into existin thread
Old May 15, 2018, 11:44 pm
Suspended

Yes, that's been around for a while. Even after getting that screen, the odds of actually being asked to volunteer are very low.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by david_oz

yep. So the conclusion of this story is that I’m now in a hotel in Denver, which united was kind enough to pay for (I didn’t realize free hotel during IIROPS was a 1k perk, so that was a nice surprise). I’m booked on the direct DEN-MEX flight tomorrow because there was no chance of making the connection in SFO and also no chance of getting bumped in DEN because seats opened up. Overall I’d say it’s a neutral result
  • saved $100+ on a hotel that I was going to have to pay for somewhere
  • got $40 to spend at the airport tomorrow morning. Side note: does anyone know if these can be used at any merchant at the airport? Or is it limited to food and beverage only? The answer determines whether I’m getting breakfast at Elways or a new pair of sunglasses
  • arriving in MEX slightly later than planned. Currently #1 on the upgrade list with one spot left, but they are selling upgrades for $230 so my chances are slim
  • missed out on about 1000 PQMs, which shouldn’t be an issue. Barring any trip cancellations I should be good for 1k again
you should be able to ask for original routing credit.
Old May 16, 2018, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hscottm
you should be able to ask for original routing credit.
Original Routing Credit will give whatever was originally purchased, not whatever was elected during SDC. That may still be a win, but OP would want to run the numbers to check.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:36 pm

On a recent check in was quite amused to see that I was given an option to specify an amount I'd be willing to accept if I get accepted as a VDB volunteer, and that volunteers will be chosen based on the order of the lowest amounts.

Is this a new VDB policy?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 9, 2018 at 10:03 pm Reason: Moved to existing thread
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by j8s8er
....Is this a new VDB policy?
Been around for awhile but not heavily used.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.