Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Flex-Schedule Program,bidding for voluntary bumps & sometimes confirmed rebookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Flex-Schedule Program,bidding for voluntary bumps & sometimes confirmed rebookings

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Is there any rhyme of reason regarding when pax are asked to "bid" on a bump? For instance, back in April whilst travelling on UA during OLCI I was given a prompt to "bid" for how much money I'll take for a bump. IIRC that flight went out with space available in both J and Y cabins. OTOH, this past week I had a UA flight SIN->SFO which went full Y and J (apparently the previous day's UA2 got cancelled) and was never given the option to bid for a bump.

Safe Travels,

James
There have been many irregularities in the past with the bidding system (inconsistent in proactively asking for oversold flights). When a flight shows full/full, I always ask the gate agent, regardless of whether I was asked at check-in or not.

This new system seems way too complex, and the options presented are in no way representative of what protection you will actually get at the gate when the original options are likely gone. Now... IF the system would actually protect your seat on one of those options... now... we are talking about a cool approach. This does not seem to be the case at all.

I checked in with a 1K agent for my SFO-MCO flight tonight, which is over by 4 at the moment (and one hour delayed and according to the agent every connection will make the flight now)... the offers presented last night at check-in were convenient and would get me in only a few hours late. The agent showed me the screen, and there were several others that also volunteered for low amounts, likely because the options were good. This is apparently not the case now, as I will be looking at a 12+ hour delay based on availability. The people that bid low are going to be disappointed I would expect, and the bids at the gate are likely to go up. I am not doing it for less than $1000 + hotel + food vouchers.

Will be interesting to see how this new thing rolls out (and how long it lasts), as I predict the current approach is going to crater).
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA gold, A3 gold
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Not sure, as this appears to have rolled out in the last week or so. I am on SFO-MCO tonight, and it is oversold by 5 people, and I saw the same thing with 3 different backup itineraries, and I was able to bid an amount for each one. I put high numbers in for all of them and submitted it. As time goes, hopefully people will report results here.

My suspicion is that the GA's won't handle anything differently.... for a couple reasons:

1) Too complicated to sort through all this complexity while in a hurry to get people boarded and people switched off the flight.
2) The options presented at OLCI 24 hours in advance may not be available at the time of boarding (which is the case for my situation tonight where almost NOTHING is available on UA).

I am pretty sure that this is a short-lived change, and UA will fall back on the way things have been done for the last couple years.

Thoughts?
That’s different from what I experienced. As I mentioned, it wasn’t a bid but rather a CONFIRMED VDB voucher along with a switch to another flight. This is something new. Attached are screenshots of both the confirmed VDB and the “VDB lite” offer I got later for a free flight change (whoopdie doo). Seems like a change they rolled out just in time for the holiday travel season.

However, also saves them on any overnight hotels as they make it your problem.

Last edited by iloveipods; Dec 20, 2018 at 7:23 pm
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by iloveipods

That’s different from what I experienced. As I mentioned, it wasn’t a bid but rather a CONFIRMED VDB voucher along with a switch to another flight. This is something new. Attached are screenshots of both the confirmed VDB and the “VDB lite” offer I got later for a free flight change (whoopdie doo). Seems like a change they rolled out just in time for the holiday travel season.
I haven't seen that approach. My flight tonight is in pretty rough shape, and there aren't many logical options to get home on UA without a 12-24 hour delay at the moment.... especially if they deal with it at the gate when all other red-eyes out will be full and unavailable.

I have only seen the proactive approach (voucher issued in advance) for real bad situations, like AC downgauge.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjmoore
I have only seen the proactive approach (voucher issued in advance) for real bad situations, like AC downgauge.
I agree, but I'll tip my hat to UA here. They don't have to guess right very often for this to be a profitable approach. If the average at-gate cert is $500, and they're able to get somebody to accept a confirmed $200 in advance, they come out ahead if they need that seat more than 40% of the time.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
I agree, but I'll tip my hat to UA here. They don't have to guess right very often for this to be a profitable approach. If the average at-gate cert is $500, and they're able to get somebody to accept a confirmed $200 in advance, they come out ahead if they need that seat more than 40% of the time.
100% agree with this.... I would jump all over it, especially if I was able to choose an earlier flight.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by mehitabel
Mine was $800, $900 or $1000 for EWR-SFO tonight. I also low-balled my offer to see if it makes any difference. I'll be surprised if the GAs actually use this list or stick with our bid amounts. In the past when I've been VDB'd there's been a very rapid negotiation and resolution, with the GAs sometimes upping compensation of their own accord. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the new approach, assuming any of our flights actually need volunteers.

I wonder if pax checking in via computer or kiosk get the same interface, or if it's limited to OLCI via app?
Closing the loop on my earlier post: It turned out that 6 pax on standby and a full flight did not translate to a VDB. But as data point, the GA showed me his screen with a 4 person list, and I was indeed #1 , which suggests the lowball strategy is effective (I bid $100 below the lowest suggested offer of $800.) As the alternative flights were the next morning, I assume hotel would have been included had volunteers been needed.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: AA Plat
New VDB Software

As @iloveipods correctly notes, UA recently rolled out an update to their existing VDB program that allows self rebooking with compensation!

I didn't bother posting to FT since it was already picked up by the big bloggers but in retrospect I should have. Now we are all on the same page.

https://www.chron.com/chris-mcginnis...e-13475370.php
jjmoore likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by mehitabel
Closing the loop on my earlier post: It turned out that 6 pax on standby and a full flight did not translate to a VDB.
Same with mine, EWR-FLL. Flight was jammed full but no VDB's needed.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:22 pm

What are best responses when offering compensating for getting bumped ?

United put in a new option when you are checking in. Now they tell you upfront if you are willing to give up your seat and they will let you know at the gate "IF YOU ARE SELECTED". They give you 3 different flights and you can select the amount you are asking for in each of the 3 selections.

Anyone know what aare the best outcomes to getting the highest travel vouchers ?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Daytrader
United put in a new option when you are checking in. Now they tell you upfront if you are willing to give up your seat and they will let you know at the gate "IF YOU ARE SELECTED". They give you 3 different flights and you can select the amount you are asking for in each of the 3 selections.

Anyone know what are the best outcomes to getting the highest travel vouchers?
How long is that piece of string? The answer will vary with the circumstances on the day.

UA thread--->Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, Daytrader
.... Anyone know what aare the best outcomes to getting the highest travel vouchers ?
The short answer is there are too many variables to have a simple strategy.

How overbooked is the flight?
Are there any potential issues that could cause other flights to be delayed/canceled? (this could mean some additional passengers for your flight OR this could mean some of the present passengers will misconnect and their seats will become available)
How flexible/ willing are the other passengers on your flight (are they on tight leisure/business travel or do they have some flexibility?)
How convenient are the alternative flight options for the other passengers?
and more ....
And any of these will vary on a particular day for a particular flight.

Additionally, in the end, UA usually will not need to use the volunteers (although the holiday season tends to have more VDB). The amount of VDB is significantly lower than in past years, see
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Just saw this option a few days ago. Nothing about.3 flights. When going back to the checkin tool, there were 3 pre-selected offers we could choose from to request on an oversold ORD-FRA. I think it was $500, $600 or $700. Was also an option to enter our own amount. Given we were three pax, plus a lap infant, going to BLR, and knowing both ours and the later FRA flight were oversold, we didn’t bite. If it wàs just me, I probably would have My understanding is if they determine they need a volunteer, they’ll take the lowest bid. And the offer is just to get someone on the list...putting your name down doesn’t compel you to actually accept the offer. I talked to an agent at CS, asking about our flight, and was told we were oversold by 2.

Onboard, they announced while still boarding they were looking for 1 volunteer, and had a $1500 voucher. Not sure if someone did bite at that point...they also specifically announced a seat on the later FRA flight, but given it was oversold, not sure what happened there..I assume they had an offer out on that flight, as well. Typically, they don’t offer your alternatives until they know they need you at the gate...and you aren’t bound to accept the offer until you sign the paperwork. So basically, the electronic offer on the app/kiosk is just adding you to the ‘interest’ lost and not compelling you for anything.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Onboard, they announced while still boarding they were looking for 1 volunteer, and had a $1500 voucher. Not sure if someone did bite at that point...they also specifically announced a seat on the later FRA flight, but given it was oversold, not sure what happened there.
Get $1,500 to take a later flight with the distinct possibility of receiving another voucher for an oversold flight?! We in the MR game call that having a good time! I suspect there have been numerous stories on FT regarding people fortunate enough to be in the situation of receiving multiple vouchers after being bumped multiple times. Add to that the possibility of getting re-routed to increase milage and you could get a real MR out of a $300 LHR->SFO k fare ticket!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:05 pm

In theory, you can checkin late on a overosld flight to get bumpted ?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
In theory, you can checkin late on a overosld flight to get bumpted ?
Bumped, meaning IDB? IDBs are exceptionally rare nowadays, down 99% from years past

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.