Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Flex-Schedule Program,bidding for voluntary bumps & sometimes confirmed rebookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Flex-Schedule Program,bidding for voluntary bumps & sometimes confirmed rebookings

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select

I got the overbooking message for IAH-PTY tomorrow morning, but said no, since I've been told offers are higher at the gate. Did I do the right/wrong thing? I wonder if I try tomorrow if they may decline since there are enough willing people already.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
All you're doing during check-in is saying that you're interested and your name will go on the list that the gate agent will see when they begin processing it 30-60 min before the flight.

I've gotten a phone call ONCE where UA proactively offered to move me to an earlier/late flight and offered compensation. Not sure if they were calling everyone in the First Class cabin or if they singled out certain people.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
This might be true. It depends how desperate the gate agent is at that moment. For very short flights (0.5 to 1 h), I saw offers of $500 for giving up my seat. You just need to talk to the gate agent as early as possible. Good luck.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
IME all pax who voluntarily decommit will receive the same comp, regardless of what they initially agreed to. I once accepted $400 to bump, only to get a $700 ETC when the last guy they needed (of 4) held out for a better offer.

Adding yourself to the bump list doesn't obligate you to anything, either. In fact, it's always a good practice to get on the list as soon as you can if you think you might be inclined to jump ship. You can always change your mind later.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Too late now unfortunately. I'll just check tomorrow morning. The message said $200 which seems low for a 4 hour flight.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As others have said there is no negative consequences to doing this -- you will juts be place on a list and then if space is needed, the GA will call you up to discussion the options.

Originally Posted by slickvik
.... The message said $200 which seems low for a 4 hour flight.
pretty standard starting offer. But not binding on you. All will depend on what happens at the gate.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got the overbooking message for IAH-PTY tomorrow morning, but said no, since I've been told offers are higher at the gate. Did I do the right/wrong thing? I wonder if I try tomorrow if they may decline since there are enough willing people already.
It doesn't much matter. I usually accept the offer in order to get onto the list, but I've only ever had them look at the list once or twice... because I follow up by checking with the gate agent as soon as the gate is staffed (1 hour before departure for domestic departures; it may be longer for international departures). I then ask if the flight is oversold, if they need volunteers, and what they're offering. If the offer seems reasonable, I'll volunteer; if it's within $100 or so of what I'd accept, I'll counteroffer. If not, I'll wait and see what happens.

The other thing I recommend is that you find an alternate route to your final destination, so that you can be prepared. It doesn't necessarily has to be on UA -- they can definitely rebook you onto Copa, or even onto a non-*A airline.

BTW -- you can completely ignore the $150 or $200 or whatever they suggest on the screen. I've never seen that matter -- I've said 'yes' to $150, walked through security to the gate, asked the gate agent, and been offered $300. In my experience, it's rare for them to keep the automated system up-to-date.

Good luck!
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Too late now unfortunately. I'll just check tomorrow morning. The message said $200 which seems low for a 4 hour flight.
That seems to be the standard 1st offer. Even on PVD-EWR, the starting offer was $200. However, one of the people that was volunteering got $300, so they took my $200 ECV and replaced with with a $300 (And got re-routed via ORD on AA).

Last year, I was flying PWM-EWR-ORD-SNA right after the ATC meltdown, and they were looking for volunteers at EWR for the EWR-ORD. With no negotiation needed, it was a quick and easy $600, and got on the EWR-SNA non-stop.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 5:20 am
Original Poster

I'm able to see six empty seats in economy so I guess this won't work
Old Feb 17, 2017, 5:25 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I'm able to see six empty seats in economy so I guess this won't work
The seat map with open seats might just mean that some people haven't gotten a seat assignment. Try to book the flight and see what each fair bucket has. If Y is zero, then it's a sold-out flight, which means they probably are a few seats overbooked.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
Is the compensation offered today for giving up a seat offered with the same restrictions as in the past?

I have not given up a seat in a long time for two reasons;

-I usually got a middle seat or some other less comfortable seat on the replacement flight(s).

-And the compensation had strings attached: coupon not good for 24 hours and one could not make a reservation until 14 days prior to the flight. One used to have to call to make the reservation.

Are all of these restrictions still in place?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 6:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Karl-MDW
-And the compensation had strings attached: coupon not good for 24 hours and one could not make a reservation until 14 days prior to the flight. One used to have to call to make the reservation.
No.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I think the 24 hour restriction was an old united (PMUA) thing.

I suggest if the seating is important, you figure out what the protection is and if its not something you're comfortable with, don't do it!

I got bumped from ORD-YYZ and took ORD-BUF for $500 and kept a seat in F.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Gate said not oversold. I wonder if the magical Tampa call center gave people vouchers over the phone prospectively
Old Feb 17, 2017, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't think the length of the flight matters much, but rather how late you arrive at the destination and how inconvenient the new routine is. Of course from your point of view, you might consider length of flight if you lose a good seat in the process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.