Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Flex-Schedule Program,bidding for voluntary bumps & sometimes confirmed rebookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Flex-Schedule Program,bidding for voluntary bumps & sometimes confirmed rebookings

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2021, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by 168
Same situation here too. On my last A319 flight, went out with 7 standbys and 5 empty seats.

Kiosk was showing flights options that are 6, 24 and even 30 hours later and I gave them ridiculous ETC bids based on the length of delay. I Immediately talked to a live Customer Service agent and the gate agent, both always confirmed that the flight is not over booked and they are still selling seats.

This really made me wonder if UA is testing our threshold to see how low we would go?
Now I gots Chubby Checker in my brain singing lyrics from Limbo Rock ("Limbo lower now - how low can you go?")

David
Old Jan 4, 2022, 7:30 am

When I checked in, there were options to move to a later flight, which I did not bid for.

Is there a way to be given the choices again, because I cannot get the app to bring this up again? (I searched this forum and couldn't find anything)
Old Jan 5, 2022, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by jeoff
When I checked in, there were options to move to a later flight, which I did not bid for.

Is there a way to be given the choices again, because I cannot get the app to bring this up again? (I searched this forum and couldn't find anything)
Not 100% certain, but I believe you get the option once and that's it. You should call the UA line and see if someone can push it for you over the phone. Sometimes if they see an oversold situation, they will move you proactively (no compensation) as long as you agree to the voluntary change.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 5:51 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
Miles or Voucher to Volunteer for a different flight

I am on a flight tomorrow in which there appears to be a lot of empty seats - but who knows these days.
When I checked in, I got asked about volunteering to take an alternative set of flights (flying in and out of ORD to my destination - lucky me) and offered me either miles or voucher... I didnt see what miles were being offered and the voucher choices, as I recall, where 100, 200, 400 and submit your own... so I did for the various options presented to me...especially since I am not really in a rush to get to my destination other than I need to get there by tomorrow.

has anyone had any experience with this process and advice - especially if you are not really in a rush - on how the best optimize your chances of getting something?

does status matter?

just like the success with PP and upgrades - has anyone had good luck or experience with this game?

-m
Old Jun 9, 2022, 2:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mfirst
has anyone had any experience with this process and advice - especially if you are not really in a rush - on how the best optimize your chances of getting
-m
I've been on about 200 flights over the past two years, similar to you- not often in a rush. I'd guess that I've seen them take volunteers 10% of the time they ask for bids.

Route matters here- there's likely less bidders in a CRJ/Emb than a widebody.

The only tip I have for you is to connect with the gate agent and let them know that you're willing to volunteer. They've had access to the check-in bids the handful of times I've offered, but being front of mind helps.

The two times I've taken voluntary bumps were:

LAX-ORD April 2022- Left four hours later on the red eye, was able to keep CPU. Received 50k miles.

ORD-PIT April 2021- Left 7 hours later. Thanks to four Minnesota & Wisconsin teams making the frozen four in PIT, there had to have been 20 oversold seats. No idea why they didn't equip swap into something larger. They were asking for volunteers on the night flight as well. Received 125k miles.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 5:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by CPS89
...Route matters here- there's likely less bidders in a CRJ/Emb than a widebody....

The only tip I have for you is to connect with the gate agent and let them know that you're willing to volunteer. They've had access to the check-in bids the handful of times I've offered, but being front of mind helps.
I can second this. Earlier when travel was starting to come back, there were some downguaged routes that UA was slow to restore to narrowbodies. They were often oversold.
As for the amount, I would typically bid approx double whatever the top number they were offering. Lately I've gotten greedy and try just putting in the max ($2000) each time, but it has not been successful. Maybe not the smartest move as I guess it just takes one person to not bid the max to beat me.

The gate agent has the list and will typically call you up first. I've never needed to connect first with them. I suppose it doesnt hurt (like you say, "front of mind"). Once they call me up, I try to "make an impression". Every time, I've been successful, they ended up boarding me telling me they didn't need the seat, then they find out someone didn't scan their BP or someone shows up late. Rather than unload them, they come back onboard and find me and ask if I'm still willing to get off..

I always take a voucher vs miles. I already have too many miles and they can devalue.
SPN Lifer and CPS89 like this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
Potential Flight Change Options

I was about to check-in to my flight from LAX-EWR departing tomorrow, June 15th at 11:00AM. I then go EWR-YUL.

I get a pop-up that says: Potential Flight Change Options (We're looking for travelers who'd consider taking a different flight in exchange for a travel voucher or award miles).

It gives me the option to take a later flight on June 17th, two days later than my scheduled flight which is tomorrow, June 15th. Two questions:

1) If I do choose to be voluntarily booked in exchange for comp, am I still expected to go to my gate tomorrow, June 15th, and wait to see if I am voluntarily bumped or will I get a notification ahead of time so I don't lose my time going to the airport then coming back?

2) If I do put my name down to be voluntarily booked, am I able to then change my mind when I arrive at the gate tomorrow for my regular scheduled flight?

Old Jun 14, 2022, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, you'll have to go to the gate and really won't know until the flight is boarding. For what it's worth, these messages come up a lot, and there is a decent chance the flight goes out not overbooked.

Yes to your second question as well. The GA won't remove you from the flight without confirming. Sometimes I've noticed they don't even use the check-in list and just solicit volunteers at the gate anyway.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I don't think the text could be more clear:

"your trip won't change unless you're selected at the gate and confirm your decision to volunteer"
Old Jun 14, 2022, 8:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MDFFlyer
1) If I do choose to be voluntarily booked in exchange for comp, am I still expected to go to my gate tomorrow, June 15th, and wait to see if I am voluntarily bumped or will I get a notification ahead of time so I don't lose my time going to the airport then coming back?
While UA will occasional do advance confirmed rebookings, the more common is your situation where UA is still uncertain about the needs, so you need to show-up. And IME, more likely then not, you will fly the originally scheduled flight.
jsloan and MDFFlyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.