Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Where are the terminal details on e-tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2022, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Booked 3 flights through UA for this month. Neither the e-tickets, confirmation emails, nor the "my trips" page will show the terminals these flights are scheduled to use (all large airports with multiple terminals). It's really useful info for planning purposes (pickups/drop-offs/parking). I know you can google the flight # and work out which ones, but every other airline I've flown with has shown the terminal on the booking and e-ticket. Is there some method of finding this via United webpage/tickets I've missed, please? Thanks.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by stelly
Booked 3 flights through UA for this month. Neither the e-tickets, confirmation emails, nor the "my trips" page will show the terminals these flights are scheduled to use (all large airports with multiple terminals). It's really useful info for planning purposes (pickups/drop-offs/parking). I know you can google the flight # and work out which ones, but every other airline I've flown with has shown the terminal on the booking and e-ticket. Is there some method of finding this via United webpage/tickets I've missed, please? Thanks.
When is the flight? You mention "this month", if its this friday you can see it in flight status, but AFAIK noting longer then that.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
When is the flight? You mention "this month", if its this friday you can see it in flight status, but AFAIK noting longer then that.
6/25

Seems mad not to share terminal info with passengers in advance?!?
Old Jun 13, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
6/25

Seems mad not to share terminal info with passengers in advance?!?
Depending on the airport, even UA might not yet know.... Which airport are you concerned about?
Old Jun 13, 2022, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Can you generally find which terminal(s) an airline uses from the airports website.

For airports where an airline uses multiple terminals, which one is used for a specific flight is generally not known until several hours before the flight is scheduled to leave, and even then it can change within that time for several reasons.

Even then, you specifically mentioned for pickup/dropoff/parking/etc - to some extent these aren't related to the terminal that the flight actually departs from, they are related to the location of the check-in counters and baggage claim areas, which are generally centralized (per airline) even when an airline uses multiple terminals (there are exceptions, but they aren't common)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 8:37 am
Original Poster

I have logistics at EWR and LHR where knowing the terminal would be helpful. I'm guessing it's C at EWR. Guessing 2 at LHR.

It's more that I'm just surprised they don't give that info. Years and years of flying BA and VS and never deviated from the set terminals, but also made it very clear which terminal it was on the booking.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I have logistics at EWR and LHR where knowing the terminal would be helpful.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../maps/ewr.html
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../maps/lhr.html

On the day of flight, the Flight Status option on the website will show the terminal (and gate), as obviously will the boarding pass.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
At LHR you will be at Terminal 2. It is the only one UA uses at LHR.
stelly likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 8:42 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
It would upset passengers more if UA used another terminal that was not listed on the ticket. Case in point, UA uses all three concourses in Denver nowadays. But you will still come out of Terminal West after picking up luggage.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kmxu
It would upset passengers more if UA used another terminal that was not listed on the ticket. Case in point, UA uses all three concourses in Denver nowadays. But you will still come out of Terminal West after picking up luggage.
Sure, but that's not the case at all at the airports I'm flying to. And other airlines have managed well for 20+ yrs sharing terminal details when booking.

Originally Posted by docbert
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../maps/ewr.html
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../maps/lhr.html

On the day of flight, the Flight Status option on the website will show the terminal (and gate), as obviously will the boarding pass.
Thanks. I'm not trying to be rude, but I know the layout of both airports so it's not the understanding of the map. It's just knowing which one. Booking any kind of airport transportation in the UK requires you to give the terminal number at LHR. It's cumbersome for the passenger to have to ferret that out online.

Anyway, just goes to show that flying the same airlines for years and years creates the illusion that all others will be similar. I think it's been more than 20 years since I flew anything other than BA or VS internationally....

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 13, 2022 at 9:12 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 13, 2022, 8:48 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
I have logistics at EWR and LHR where knowing the terminal would be helpful. I'm guessing it's C at EWR. Guessing 2 at LHR.

It's more that I'm just surprised they don't give that info. Years and years of flying BA and VS and never deviated from the set terminals, but also made it very clear which terminal it was on the booking.
It's because BA and VS only use one terminal at their homebase in LHR and elsewhere, whereas UA uses both Terminal A and Terminal C at EWR, as an example. The flight is assigned to the terminal/gate the day of the flight, hence why they can't provide the information upon booking.
SPN Lifer and stelly like this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by PTahCha
It's because BA and VS only use one terminal at their homebase in LHR and elsewhere, whereas UA uses both Terminal A and Terminal C at EWR, as an example. The flight is assigned to the terminal/gate the day of the flight, hence why they can't provide the information upon booking.
BA actually uses 2 terminals at LHR - T5 and T3. And while they may tell you one terminal at booking, it can actually change if they decide to change which flights are using Terminal 3 (happens more frequently than it used to). So the OP would be best to not rely on what it says at booking when booking months in advance, no matter the airline.
stelly likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Fab info. thank you. Nightmare for the person who has to meet me in the terminal before my flight and wants to plan it now [sigh] but we'll manage.

Originally Posted by wrp96
BA actually uses 2 terminals at LHR - T5 and T3. And while they may tell you one terminal at booking, it can actually change if they decide to change which flights are using Terminal 3 (happens more frequently than it used to). So the OP would be best to not rely on what it says at booking when booking months in advance, no matter the airline.
Oh great! ARGH. The transportation people in UK are being so *rigid*. Oh well.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate them. These forums are always so helpful, being able to reach people who travel far more often than I can.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 13, 2022 at 9:17 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 13, 2022, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Fab info. thank you. Nightmare for the person who has to meet me in the terminal before my flight and wants to plan it now [sigh] but we'll manage.
It’s not too hard. The flight status function shows arrival gate and terminal starting 2 days before flight. Gate might change, so check as plane nears airport. Not sure why the person has to plan now how to pick you up. Newark Airport isn’t going to move. Once he/she gets there, it’s simple.
roberto99 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Agree absolutely with the OP. It's incredibly useful to know when flying out of an airport you're not familiar with. I recently flew out of MRS on BA. I hadn't researched it in advance as I didn't know there were two terminals until the rail shuttle pulled up. BA never informed me, the airport's website doesn't list airlines and terminals and there are no external signs. We were not alone in walking to the wrong terminal before reversing course and walking back to the other one. Good exercise on a beautiful day, I suppose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.