Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Flex-Schedule Program,bidding for voluntary bumps & sometimes confirmed rebookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Flex-Schedule Program,bidding for voluntary bumps & sometimes confirmed rebookings

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by blueman2
Did United announce a delay in Polaris?
Maybe not explicitly, but the new seats were delayed resulting in the 77Ws not joining the fleet as quickly as desired. It also delayed the 763 conversion from 3-class to 2-class with the new seats which is pretty obvious at this point.

As for the statement, I have no idea why it is a "boon for business travelers." That's actually not who it is targeted towards at all. Unless UA is facing a situation where many business travelers are booking away on last-minute trips because planes are sold out.

I've spoken at length with one of the competitors to the company UA is using for this (I didn't realize there were so many players in the space). The goal is to solve the problem of "unexpectedly" full flights and UA not being able to sell more seats last minute. I expect usage will be very limited. I also find it interesting that UA is cutting off the window to switch people 5 days out. I would've expected it closer in based on my understanding of the business problem.

Last edited by sbm12; Jul 12, 2017 at 11:50 am
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Darlox
*crosses fingers*
I would hope that this wouldn't impact that at all. They're already pretty good about not SDC'ing into an oversell situation, so I would expect that benefit would remain the same. Particularly if this shuffle is happening days in advance, by the time you get to T-24, the major adjustments will have occurred. I can't imagine there's enough walk-up sales anymore to materially impact day-of availability.
This depends on the route. It will likely have a significant impact on SDC because people who are willing may have already been shifted to an earlier flight whereas in the past, they would have showed up at the gate and then accepted a VDB.

I also suspect that peoples' willingness to accept a VDB is increased when they don't have to schlep out to the airport and then the gate and sit around. Lastly, the herd mentality won't work. You won't be sitting there with someone saying "sit tight, they will raise it to $1K if nobody stands up.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Plat
UGH. Apparently this is called
and it is a reverse auction as we suspected. Basically takes the place of Flight Recovery.

Originally Posted by sbm12
I also find it interesting that UA is cutting off the window to switch people 5 days out. I would've expected it closer in based on my understanding of the business problem.
The author says "up to 5 days" meaning 0-5 days before the flight.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
The author says "up to 5 days" meaning 0-5 days before the flight.
Yup...I was just coming back to edit that part of my post as I misread it before.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by drewguy
Seems like a good idea . . . this to me is what makes it potentially most appealing:

Much more willing to take a different flight if it means sitting at home an extra few hours rather than sitting at the airport. (And of course it means you could take an earlier flight - not possible if you show up on time for your expected departure).
While I don't ever voluntarily allow myself to be bumped, it would be really nice if they allowed for the 'wait at home' option when faced with lengthy delays. Two months ago, I paid 400 bucks more for a non-stop, then saw that my flight was delayed by 6 hours. I asked UA if I could just show up at the airport at the predicted time and was told....no you need to be at the airport at 7am for your (now) 230pm flight. It was in Houston and if they substituted another plane at some point, I would have been screwed. Ended up eating the 400 bucks and flying in a middle seat using a connection.

It would be nice if they'd try this out for delays too.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 12:15 pm

This "solution" is all about maximizing revenue to UA and nothing about giving the customer what was paid for. UA gets big cash for your seat, you get a "voucher" that may or may not be of any use to you. Based on experience, I absolutely do not trust UA to rebook into the class and seat preference paid for. Be prepared to have a paid J or E+ seat turn into a middle seat in the back of coach.

The question is always "how can we make more money" and never "how can we make this right".
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by twb3
This "solution" is all about maximizing revenue to UA and nothing about giving the customer what was paid for. UA gets big cash for your seat, you get a "voucher" that may or may not be of any use to you. Based on experience, I absolutely do not trust UA to rebook into the class and seat preference paid for. Be prepared to have a paid J or E+ seat turn into a middle seat in the back of coach.

The question is always "how can we make more money" and never "how can we make this right".
If you don't know that you will be able to use the voucher, ignore the email and keep your seat. Easy as that. It gives you a choice you didn't have before. You aren't forced into anything. I personally don't expect this to be useful to me. I think in 1.1M miles I have picked up one VDB and zero IDBs. But there are apparently tons of folks who buy BE and thus don't have a claim on a particular seat and might be interested and flexible in their schedule. Those are the ones that UA is likely targeting most.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Jul 12, 2017 at 1:31 pm
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by spin88
This is a more advanced in time (it appears to make the offers days in advance) version of what Delta is already doing w/i 24 hours (an auction type offer).

What interests me is what happens with pricing close in. Traditionally to use a simply example, there may be 90 seats at $200, 40 seats at $300, 20 seats at $500, 10 seats at $700, and 3 at $900. So if 5 days out the $700 seats are gone, only $900 seats are offered. (or the $500 seats are gone and only $900 seats are offered). This would appear to allow United to continue to offer $500 or $700 seats for longer, while still keeping the few remaining $900 seats until the very end. If my thinking is correct, what this will really do is make more upper-mid priced seats available for longer on flights where UA would otherwise be undercut by competitor airlines that still have lower fare bucket availability.
Strikes me that it's more of a fix for when the yield management didn't predict well. However they've originally allocated seats on the flight, it potentially allows them to convert lower priced seats to higher priced seats. So instead of 3 seats at $900, they now can try to sell 5 more $900 seats, and pay off the $200 seat buyers. I'm not sure how that will prevent being undercut by a competitor who has lower buckets.

What it seems more likely to do is (a) reduce the cost of bumping and (b) increase the numbers they can bump (presumably people are more likely to take $250 3 days out than at the airport).
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:53 pm

What it seems more likely to do is (a) reduce the cost of bumping and (b) increase the numbers they can bump (presumably people are more likely to take $250 3 days out than at the airport).
@:-)

Precisely. It also reduces the cost or the VDB/IDB in that the bumped passenger typically has more options available for a reroute 3 days out than 3 hours out. I've already had some travelers note that they're disinclined to take a bump at the gate but would do so for a lower TVC amount if they knew a day or two in advance so they didn't return the rental car or otherwise get to the airport earlier than necessary for the new trip.

The company makes more money and passengers are happier.

(link to said discussion on my post about the new program)
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by twb3
This "solution" is all about maximizing revenue to UA and nothing about giving the customer what was paid for.
Customer service hasn't been part of United's business model in at least a decade. In other news, sharks in the sea, the sky is blue.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 12, 2017 at 2:04 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by KRSW
Customer service hasn't been part of United's business model in at least a decade. In other news, sharks in the sea, the sky is blue.

Alaska Airlines, which gets great marks for customer service, is rolling the same system from the same vendor out later this year.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 12, 2017 at 2:03 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect moderator edit
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
This can significantly help UA @ EWR or ORD hub during anticipation or disruption for major winter storm.

E.g. A guy with a Y class 1K seat scheduled to fly in December in the middle of a storm will suffer a cancellation and join the cattle attempting reschedule two days later vs. contact granny flying 2x a year and advising her we'll give you $500 if you reschedule to fly in 3 days vs. 2 days from now. They can reaccomodate Y class 1K and granny is happy with her $500 voucher.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
The article doesn't say it applies to change of date, simply re route or later in the same day
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
The article doesn't say it applies to change of date, simply re route or later in the same day
Although it could . . . I've received the "overbooked, interested in taking a different flight" for once-daily international flights (with no later options).
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Although it could . . . I've received the "overbooked, interested in taking a different flight" for once-daily international flights (with no later options).
oh no doubt it could

my guess is it starts narrow and simple - higher frequency domestic routes with reasonable "green egg" opportunities.

the very high load factors make the entire thing seem to be less of a big deal though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.