Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Flex-Schedule Program,bidding for voluntary bumps & sometimes confirmed rebookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Flex-Schedule Program,bidding for voluntary bumps & sometimes confirmed rebookings

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Often1
As I understand it, the $10K cap for VDB would be offered for a bump off a TPAC paid F.
I do not think it would ever be offered as a starting point.

And, in reality, I don't think it will ever be offered by any airline ever.

the only place I see a problem are misconnecting UM
Didn't UA stop taking UMs on connections?

Had Dao physically been denied boarding, e.g., not permitted to enter the aircraft, this would have turned out differently.
I strongly disagree. The people developing these programs and building this technology were around way before the Dao incident. This is a way for airlines to further improve RM by reducing costs of displacing passengers while also getting more satisfied customers at the top and bottom of the price spectrum.

The obsession with blaming everything on the Dr. Dao incident is ridiculous. It changed the optics on the VDB process slightly. It did not create a wholesale change in operations. And it certainly did not bring about integration of a 3rd party platform that I know UA was considering prior to the incident.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Before loads approached 100%, UA used to guarantee GS & 1K paying full Y a seat up to T-24.
Currently GS still guaranteed Y seat up to boarding.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
I would bet that this program is going to be implemented on the subset of flights which historically show a strong pattern of being oversold and have convenient backup flights which show a pattern of not being oversold.

It cannot be a general pattern for all flights especially given the present occupancy rates and schedules, I would think.

It is ironic that United would have to depend upon an outside firm to implement technologies core to running its business more profitably. But this seems to be the case with many things IT related at United. They just don't understand IT and IT is really core to running their business efficiently/profitably.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Has someone already started a thread about what flights to book to get the offer in advance to go later...when you really wanted to go later anyway but thought you might as well try for the compensation?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by fuzz
My brother is the CEO of Volantio, whose technology is used. So happy for his company, as I have seen how hard they've been working on this!
Congrats to him . . . but i'm actually kind of amazed the airlines didn't develop this in house. I realize United IT is a mess, but still, the concept is something they've been aware of and their inability to implement it themselves may reinforce their IT incapabilities.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Michael D
.... It is ironic that United would have to depend upon an outside firm to implement technologies core to running its business more profitably. ....
This is very common in the corporate world today. Especially contracting with folks who have deep narrow technology. Few large (or small) corporations develop all their technology in house.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by teeceedee
Corporate flyers who book through portals may miss out
Corporate flyers who value their time wouldn't touch any form of VDB with a 10 foot pole.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 3:03 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by PBAudit

...If another passenger was willing to pay $1,000 to upgrade to business class, and I was willing to take $500 to go back to coach, wouldn't we both benefit?
If I'm flying internationally, I'm not taking $500 to move back to coach if I were upgraded to first class. $500 isn't even that much money, and the comfort of the long flight is more important.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 4:12 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Miggles
Corporate flyers who value their time wouldn't touch any form of VDB with a 10 foot pole.
Any form? Any form at all?

You're traveling A-B-C and the offer is A-D-C, leaving and arriving at the same time. Can't do it (typically) today, because by the time you have VDB'ed from A-B, it's too late to get you on A-D.

I used to do this all the time with ORD-FRA-GVA, ORD-MUC-GVA and (rarely) ORD-LHR-GVA. (Back in the days when GAs were allowed - and dare I say even encouraged - to be proactive. Takeoff was within 20 minutes, arrival was within 20 minutes, and the GA's knew me and knew I'd be a) flexible and b) early.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 5:24 am

Great plan if they can get it to work. I have my doubts.

Frequent flyers can come up with some very creative ways to abuse programs like this. One way that comes to mind immediately for this is with refundable tickets.

Infrequent flyers aren't going to be as moved by this $250 offer as some think. I think its a fair offer but for people that only fly once a year, what are they gonna do with a $250 voucher that expires in a year. So I think rolling this out to FF members is the way to go.

I suspect that even if this is wildly successful, that UA will promptly break it by trying to scalp business travelers by more seats overbooked on more flights.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by soonerborn
Great plan if they can get it to work. I have my doubts.

Frequent flyers can come up with some very creative ways to abuse programs like this. One way that comes to mind immediately for this is with refundable tickets....
I would imagine you would have to fly the rebooked flight before you got the voucher. Otherwise, you're correct there could be abuse, although it wouldn't be difficult to catch.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
This. I fly in and out of EWR weekly and it is not uncommon to have offers for as much as $400-$500 for the next midcon 2 hours later. I have NEVER taken one of those (and I have seen them as high as $800) and I have also never seen an obvious corporate flyer take the VDB either. It is usually families that seem to step up to the podium.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Certainly not on the outbound (beginning of a business trip). But on the way home from a biz trip is when I've collected the vast majority of my VDB comp over the years. It'll end up being the difference between getting home at 9PM vs midnight on a Thursday night...if those particular three hours net $500, I'm good with it.

I value my time more highly on leisure trips and usually don't VDB. Plus, those are often in J/F so I'm always hesitant to roll the dice on getting a good seat later. Once in a while, on the way home from a vacation, I'll score a VDB...but they're rare. Add in the fact that a leisure trip (for me) is often a kind of off-peak flight to begin with, whereas the biz trips end on Thursday nights (or occasionally a Friday afternoon) - a pretty solid VDB opportunity.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
Certainly not on the outbound (beginning of a business trip). But on the way home from a biz trip is when I've collected the vast majority of my VDB comp over the years. It'll end up being the difference between getting home at 9PM vs midnight on a Thursday night...if those particular three hours net $500, I'm good with it.
This. I would never take a VDB outbound, but would consider it inbound.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My employer claims to own whatever VDB compensation I collect on business trips reimbursed by my employer, so I wound never volunteer in such cases. Since I have top tier status, IDBs are not a problem so I haven't checked whether they're like EU 261 comeonsation which is mandated to go to the passenger or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.