FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Flex-Schedule Program,bidding for voluntary bumps & sometimes confirmed rebookings
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:31 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slickvik
I got the overbooking message for IAH-PTY tomorrow morning, but said no, since I've been told offers are higher at the gate. Did I do the right/wrong thing? I wonder if I try tomorrow if they may decline since there are enough willing people already.
It doesn't much matter. I usually accept the offer in order to get onto the list, but I've only ever had them look at the list once or twice... because I follow up by checking with the gate agent as soon as the gate is staffed (1 hour before departure for domestic departures; it may be longer for international departures). I then ask if the flight is oversold, if they need volunteers, and what they're offering. If the offer seems reasonable, I'll volunteer; if it's within $100 or so of what I'd accept, I'll counteroffer. If not, I'll wait and see what happens.

The other thing I recommend is that you find an alternate route to your final destination, so that you can be prepared. It doesn't necessarily has to be on UA -- they can definitely rebook you onto Copa, or even onto a non-*A airline.

BTW -- you can completely ignore the $150 or $200 or whatever they suggest on the screen. I've never seen that matter -- I've said 'yes' to $150, walked through security to the gate, asked the gate agent, and been offered $300. In my experience, it's rare for them to keep the automated system up-to-date.

Good luck!