Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking questions / issues / experiences for ANA (NH)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA award booking questions / issues / experiences for ANA (NH)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
The reason is that UA's award search and booking engine now completely sucks after they "enhanced" it last October.

You could try calling UA, but they can typically only book what the web booking engine returns, i.e., the same itinerary that you're seeing.
That's wired ... I was trying using LifeMiles and Aeroplan engine to do the same search and getting the same results ...

I'm guessing maybe it's because ANA is limiting such kind of redemption?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by morley39
I'm guessing maybe it's because ANA is limiting such kind of redemption?
Could be. Award inventory can be really funky.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:09 pm

I understand lifemiles will book it manually if you send them screenshots. Calling UA is still recommended - maybe it works if they book it as two legs.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Brian Chen
Thanks
What did you end up doing? Anyone have data points on getting one F reward ward saver ticket, and waiting for a second one to open?

I've also seen ANA blocking another F ticket (separate trip than aforementioned one) to only its own program
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:47 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
ANA J awards missing, but many F awards

Maybe it's just because I'm looking 2-2 1/2 months out instead of my normal 6-9 month window, but I cannot find any J award space to Tokyo or Osaka in late August/Early September. There are F awards available (even some Saver that I was surprised by) but I normally have no issues finding a single ticket in J.

Is this a common occurrence lately? Plenty of J in UA, but meh... I experienced Polaris on a 787 from ICN->SFO and was less than impressed. Never had a bad flight in J on ANA, but maybe I'll just splurge for F or wait until later in the year for my holiday.

Just wondering if anyone has seen similar. I looked at a few different timeframes across July and August with no ANA (but other) availability.

ANA's site is not great at searching as it makes you start over every time it can't find a seat.

Last edited by bigshooter; Jun 1, 2018 at 6:46 pm
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bigshooter
I experienced Polaris on a 787 from ICN->FCO
UA does not have the Polaris seat on its 787s. Nor does it fly ICN-FCO.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 6:49 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA does not have the Polaris seat on its 787s. Nor does it fly ICN-FCO.
Fixed, for some reason I had FCO instead of SFO. ALso I know they don't have Polaris seats on 787... I found that out when I boarded it and had same old business seat.

Either way not impressed with it, and this didn't in any way respond to my question about no J availability while they had F seats available across most of July and August.

To clarify, I searched for IAH/SFO/LAX with no real availability.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bigshooter
Fixed, for some reason I had FCO instead of SFO. ALso I know they don't have Polaris seats on 787... I found that out when I boarded it and had same old business seat.

Either way not impressed with it, and this didn't in any way respond to my question about no J availability while they had F seats available across most of July and August.

To clarify, I searched for IAH/SFO/LAX with no real availability.
Seems hit or miss I booked an NH F Saver award 9 months ago from ORD-HND for a trip in late July. Been on The lookout for J NH awards coming back from HND or even PVG but seems to depend on the day of the week and I have noticed the closer you get in ex. under 14 days then I start to find j space with some being mixed cabin. or PVG-HND in NH J and having a connection in NRT-ORD in UA J. May have to play it close under 14 days to try to get the award you are looking for if you have flexibility on the day you want to travel.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Brandinho1
Seems hit or miss I booked an NH F Saver award 9 months ago from ORD-HND for a trip in late July. Been on The lookout for J NH awards coming back from HND or even PVG but seems to depend on the day of the week and I have noticed the closer you get in ex. under 14 days then I start to find j space with some being mixed cabin. or PVG-HND in NH J and having a connection in NRT-ORD in UA J. May have to play it close under 14 days to try to get the award you are looking for if you have flexibility on the day you want to travel.
Yeah IAH-NRT has 3 seats in F/J/ but NRT-SIN which hasn't even sold 1 seat yet only released 1J seat. Was very irriated.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Brandinho1
Seems hit or miss
Yeah I don't think there's much predictability to NH's releases of award space, including close-in to departure. I would take the F or fly UA's 77W SFO-NRT. Overall not quite as good as NH, but still a good product.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Booking ANA F not Working on United

Hi,

Gotta fly across the world to attend a wedding.

I checked both Aeroplan and ANA award engines, the one way flight I want YYZ-ORD (AC J, layover), ORD-NRT (NH F, layover), NRT - WUH (NH J, destination) are all separately available but when I search YYZ-WUH on United, it can only find J on ORD-NRT segment. If I search for YYZ-NRT without the last segment, then I can see F.

Must I call United to book? I can do it on Aeroplan but Aeroplan has higher taxes.

Also, is 1.5 hr connection wayyy too tight at ORD? Been a while since I connected at OHare. (AC503 to NH 11, think it’s T2 to T1, walkable? I will only have a backpack and a carry-on, and clear US custom at YYZ. There is an earlier flight YYZ ORD which will give me almost 4 hour connection which kinda sucks. What lounge do
I get at ORD flying NH F? Also has Amex Plat.
If it matters I have Nexus/ Global Entry.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:44 pm

United doesn't want you booking ANA F cos you'll see what a quality premium airline is like.

At ORD you would have access to the UA Polaris lounge.

T2 to T1 is walkable and you'll arrive as a domestic passenger as you pre clear customs/immigration in YYZ. There is also a shuttle bus from T2 to gate C9 in T1.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
With United, award inventory is based on origin and destination and they no longer allow you to cobble together awards segment-by-segment. Calling would be an exercise in futility.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by worldtrav
T2 to T1 is walkable and you'll arrive as a domestic passenger as you pre clear customs/immigration in YYZ.
yes it is walkable...can take 10-15 minutes, but it’s the only way you can do it niw because...

Originally Posted by worldtrav
There is also a shuttle bus from T2 to gate C9 in T1.
...this doesn’t exist anymore. Stopped sometime in Jan. I think, and was most definitely not there when I tried to take it in Feb

to the OP - MCT in ORD is 35 minutes. I’ve done several of these connections over the years and have always made it...sometimes running, but have always made it. Certainly wouldn’t recommend if you could avoid it, and definitely if you don’t know the airport pretty well. That said, 1.5 hours even gives you a bit of wiggle room to be late and still comfortably make the connection. That said, If you just can’t miss the NH flight (I.e. delay to NRT would mean you wouldn’t make it to the wedding on time), just buck up and build the longer layover in ORD. There are worse places to spend 4 hours then the Polaris lounge, Id imagine.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
Hi,

Gotta fly across the world to attend a wedding.

I checked both Aeroplan and ANA award engines, the one way flight I want YYZ-ORD (AC J, layover), ORD-NRT (NH F, layover), NRT - WUH (NH J, destination) are all separately available but when I search YYZ-WUH on United, it can only find J on ORD-NRT segment. If I search for YYZ-NRT without the last segment, then I can see F.

Must I call United to book? I can do it on Aeroplan but Aeroplan has higher taxes.

Also, is 1.5 hr connection wayyy too tight at ORD? Been a while since I connected at OHare. (AC503 to NH 11, think it’s T2 to T1, walkable? I will only have a backpack and a carry-on, and clear US custom at YYZ. There is an earlier flight YYZ ORD which will give me almost 4 hour connection which kinda sucks. What lounge do
I get at ORD flying NH F? Also has Amex Plat.
If it matters I have Nexus/ Global Entry.
1.5 hours at ORD is reasonable, depending upon time of year, time of day, and what your backup plan would be. As a premium cabin traveler on an intercontinental *A journey, you should get reasonable support in case of IRROPS, but it's not like there's a ton of TPAC F inventory ex-ORD. As another poster said, the closer your arrival at WUH is to the wedding, the more inclined I'd be to take the longer layover. The Polaris lounge is nice.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
With United, award inventory is based on origin and destination and they no longer allow you to cobble together awards segment-by-segment. Calling would be an exercise in futility.
While that's true in general, recent anecdotal reports suggest that it's getting slightly better than it used to be, as domestic connecting segments can sometimes be added onto international awards. OP: Does the F/J award show up if you start the search at ORD? I imagine you'd have better luck getting YYZ-ORD added to an award than NRT-WUH, since the former doesn't involve a change in the number of miles required but the latter does.

Do you have MileagePlus miles, or would you be transferring from a convertible currency? If you're using MileagePlus miles, my advice would be to book something as close as possible to your desired routing, then call within 24 hours to try to change it. In order, I would try ORD-WUH, if it finds the F segment, and call to add YYZ-ORD; YYZ-WUH in J, and call to swap ORD-NRT to F; YYZ-NRT in F/J, and call to add NRT-WUH. You may need to HUCA once or twice, but if it seems helpless, I'd cancel and move onto the next starting point.

Of course, if you're having to convert from another award currency, that's another question entirely. In that case, I'd probably call, give the routing, and ask the agent if they're able to see the award structured the way that you want. The worst that can happen is that they say "no."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.