Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking questions / issues / experiences for ANA (NH)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA award booking questions / issues / experiences for ANA (NH)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2023, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Naiwenzh
Sorry I am new here, What does NH stands for? I have seen it several times. The redemption rate are from United website. I know United only fly out from EWR. I am looking at the code share flight of UA with ANA. I think to redeem ones has to call and can't use the website. But for with cash I can purchase it at the United Website
NH = ANA

Award flights cannot be codeshare flights. The flight out of JFK would be a paid flight operated by NH. If you wanted to use miles on this flight it will book into an NH flight number. Awards out of JFK will be very difficult to get.
The miles you list cannot be for the NH flight; these just don't make any sense.

Can you post dates?
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 11:11 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
...Miles and cash is usually a terrible value.
And only UA operated flights, not NH/ANA flights.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Award flights cannot be codeshare flights. The flight out of JFK would be a paid flight operated by NH. If you wanted to use miles on this flight it will book into an NH flight number. Awards out of JFK will be very difficult to get.
The miles you list cannot be for the NH flight; these just don't make any sense.
Particularly since OP listed Premium Economy awards, which would not be available on ANA with MileagePlus miles.

I suspect OP entered JFK as the search origin and didn’t notice that UA had “helpfully” expanded the search radius to include LGA and EWR.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 11:18 am

NH = ANA

Can you post dates?
I am looking flying at end.of October, 29, 30, 31 and returning around Nov. 13 or 14, visiting for two weeks.

Since Nov. 1 is a holiday, is demand for hotel high?

I read online that one can use united mile points to redeem ana flights but has to call united to book.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I read online that one can use united mile points to redeem ana flights but has to call united to book.
That’s not correct. You can use MileagePlus points to redeem ANA flights online; no need to call. However, ANA has to make space available for partner awards before you will see that flight on United.com. When you’ve been searching, the flights that you’re seeing are operated by United.

United may drop its prices, or it may not. ANA may open seats, or it may not. All you can really do is wait.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 11:30 am

What about if I buy the expensive economy that qualify for upgrades? Can I use my united points to upgrade to premium economy.
There is 3 tier of economy, is only the refundable option the only one that qualify for upgrades? I know some don't qualify for upgrades.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What about if I buy the expensive economy that qualify for upgrades? Can I use my united points to upgrade to premium economy.
There is 3 tier of economy, is only the refundable option the only one that qualify for upgrades? I know some don't qualify for upgrades.
On NH the following are eligible for upgrades with miles: J, C, D, Z, E, G, Y, B, M and U class ... and these tend to be quite expensive to book.

refundable vs. non refundable has no influence on whether it eligible for an upgrade
Old Jul 16, 2023, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Star Alliance Upgrade Awards cannot be used to get to Premium Economy, no. In theory, they can be used to get to Business Class. However, in general, it’s not any easier to find upgrade space than it is to find business class awards.

Yes, not all tickets can be upgraded, but to find upgradable ANA fares you’d have to use advanced search and limit by fare class. You’d need a U class or higher, which is very expensive. I did a quick search, and to get an upgradeable fare on the ANA nonstop flights from JFK to HND and back, you’d need to spend $3600, and there would be no guarantee an upgrade would ever become available. It’s not a good idea.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am looking flying at end.of October, 29, 30, 31 and returning around Nov. 13 or 14, visiting for two weeks.

Since Nov. 1 is a holiday, is demand for hotel high?

10/29 and 10/30 have business awards available from IAD for 100k, but ONLY in IN class which means miles need to come from a Plat/1K/GS.

11/13 11/14 doesn't look great. Of course you can get 55k in coach.

Note, all of these are on UA, not on NH
Old Jul 16, 2023, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Particularly since OP listed Premium Economy awards, which would not be available on ANA with MileagePlus miles.

I suspect OP entered JFK as the search origin and didn’t notice that UA had “helpfully” expanded the search radius to include LGA and EWR.
I know the search expanded to include LGa and EWR. But I am bringing my elderly mom in her 70s and trying to make the travel the shortest possible. I really prefer not to fly out of EWR because traffic is unpredictable and is a much longer commute, 1.5 hours or more depending on traffic and Uber may decline the order. The last thing I dont want is not finding a ride to airport. Jfk is only 30 minutes.Going to Japan is long haul to begin with so I am really prefer direct.

Came back from Lisbon a few months back, 3 Uber driver declined my request to the airport at Lisbon. Going to Japan is long haul to begin with so I am really prefer direct.

Another question is if I fly out of LGA the lay over is give or take 1.5 hour. Is that enough to transfer??? Especially when I have a elder with me.
If it were just me, I can just fly economy especially that I have enough to cover round trip.
If I can do only one way premium economy, which make one sense going or coming back?
Thanks for all your help.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know the search expanded to include LGa and EWR. But I am bringing my elderly mom in her 70s and trying to make the travel the shortest possible. I really prefer not to fly out of EWR because traffic is unpredictable and is a much longer commute, 1.5 hours or more depending on traffic and Uber may decline the order. The last thing I dont want is not finding a ride to airport. Jfk is only 30 minutes.Going to Japan is long haul to begin with so I am really prefer direct.

Came back from Lisbon a few months back, 3 Uber driver declined my request to the airport at Lisbon. Going to Japan is long haul to begin with so I am really prefer direct.

Another question is if I fly out of LGA the lay over is give or take 1.5 hour. Is that enough to transfer??? Especially when I have a elder with me.
If it were just me, I can just fly economy especially that I have enough to cover round trip.
If I can do only one way premium economy, which make one sense going or coming back?
Thanks for all your help.
You will have no trouble getting an Uber or Lyft from NYC to EWR. It will almost certainly be preferable over flying a connection out of LGA.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m not questioning your decision or your reasons. I’m just telling you that the number of miles you quoted in your original message were for travel out of EWR, not JFK. Since you talked about the UA codeshare out of JFK, I thought perhaps you hadn’t noticed that UA had shown you nonstop flights from EWR when requested nonstop flights from JFK. I just did a search and I see no award tickets available out of JFK whatsoever.

That doesn’t mean some might not be added, but they don’t exist today.

Another question is if I fly out of LGA the lay over is give or take 1.5 hour. Is that enough to transfer??? Especially when I have an elder with me.
If things are on time, it’s enough time to transfer. If not, it probably isn’t.

I’d do it on the way out, even though conventional wisdom is that westbound travel (gaining daylight) is easier than eastbound (losing daylight). (Although, to be fair, JFK-HND and HND-JFK are more northbound than anything else). The primary reason is that I’d rather have jet lag at home, after my vacation, than at the start of my trip. I still get jet lag even when I sleep on planes, but the better my sleep, the less jet lag I get.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 8:43 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Any ANA F award redemptions through MP lately?

Dont really see these that often anymore. Does anyone know when these are usualy released and which route has the best luck these days? Back when the 77W was still flying to IAH, this was always a a slam dunk.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They show up from time to time. Not easy to find. Definitely mostly close-in when it opens up.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 11:22 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by avi8tir
Dont really see these that often anymore. Does anyone know when these are usualy released and which route has the best luck these days? Back when the 77W was still flying to IAH, this was always a a slam dunk.
I'll go ahead and add to my question and ask if there are any J seats on the 77W.... I only seem to find 789 J and Id rather take UA as the NH seats on the 789 are a bit snug for me for 12 hours

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.