Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking questions / issues / experiences for ANA (NH)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
It happened to me last month. I purchased XIY-ICN-BKK by OZ via UA web and credit card charged also got first UA mail, I even selected OZ seat online. Week later when I checked UA site this itinerary was just vanished and the charge disappeared from my CSR. This was my very first and I called UA even the CS in Hawaii was puzzled a bit. Long story short, she managed to rebooked me the same itinerary, which saved me a few bucks
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Originally Posted by Kacee
No problem.

Solution / lesson is the same: You have to baby-sit your UA partner award reservations very carefully. In this case, you need to make sure you get the e-mail which says you've actually been ticketed.
So normally you should get two UA emails after booking via UA web, right?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is not a UA issue and the criticism of UA simply shows that people do not understand that IATA ticketing rules give the non-ticket carrier 72 hours in which to accept a booking. Until the ticketing carrier receives that OK, it can't give final conformation and issue the ticket. For the most part that confirmation is anywhere from instant to a few hours. But, some carriers, NH is one of them, take the full 72 hours and then simply do not respond rather than refusing the reservation. Under the IATA policy, not responding is the equivalent of refusing the reservation.

That is why you receive an immediate email from UA which makes it clear that there will be a second email. You don't have to keep checking anything because until you have that second email, you have nothing.

That second email will provide you with your e-ticket number and it is that e-ticket number, evidencing both a reservation and payment, which is what you need to board your flights.

If your flights are all UA-operated and you do not have the second email within the hour, call UA immediately as there is a problem. If some flights are operated by another carrier, I would wait a business day, understanding that you may have to wait a full 72 hours.

Here, OP apparently never received the second email and that should have been a signal that he lacked a ticket. Luckily UA was able to force a ticket for him. But, that is pure luck as he had nothing.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tomwhom
So normally you should get two UA emails after booking via UA web, right?
Yes for both paid and award reservations. You don't have a ticket until you get the second one.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes for both paid and award reservations. You don't have a ticket until you get the second one.
Got it and thank you! TBO, I'm very hooked to FT UA forum since last year and so far gained a lot of knowledge regarding travel and United due to your and other's great contributions!

Just wish all of you a wonderful 2017!
Old Mar 7, 2017, 1:35 pm

Advice: is it possible will get a super saver for ANA?

I want to book a flight to Japan in October and notice only 1 super saver first class on ANA via United but need two since traveling for a honeymoon. Looks like 2 of the 8 seats have been booked so 6 left. Do you think they will add another saver or super saver? Likelihood low? And when do they reassess these things? Thanks and sorry for the newbie questions
Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Unlikely but possible.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

place holder
Old Mar 18, 2017, 1:03 am

So on the United rewards I see an ANA first class super saver, but just one though. I checked on the ANA site and see one there as well. DO you think it's the same one or I can book one on united and one on ANA?

Thanks much
Old Mar 18, 2017, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Brian Chen
So on the United rewards I see an ANA first class super saver, but just one though. I checked on the ANA site and see one there as well. DO you think it's the same one or I can book one on united and one on ANA?

Thanks much
It is probably the same one. If both systems just show 1 available, doubtful there are actually 2.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Brian Chen
DO you think it's the same one or I can book one on united and one on ANA?
It's the same seat. 1 only.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 2:53 pm

Thanks
Old May 19, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
NH Partner Availability

I don't fly to Asia often, does NH usually open up availability a few weeks out like LH or are they more stingy and only open a day or two before departure?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:25 pm

UA shows NH PEK-NRT in J, NRT-JFK in F, but when combined PEK-NRT only in Y - HELP

I want to redeem an award travel using United miles for ANA flights, PEK-NRT-JFK, in first class.

If I search PEK-NRT only, United shows a business availability for NH956. If I search NRT-JFK only, there's a first availability for NH10.

However, if I search the combined itinerary, PEK-NRT-JFK, United shows only economy availability for the first leg, NH956 (PEK-NRT), with a first availability for the second leg NH10 (NRT-JFK).

Does anyone know why? Is there anyway I can have an itinerary with PEK-NRT in business and NRT-JFK in first?

Thanks!!

Last edited by morley39; Aug 16, 2017 at 11:35 pm
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by morley39
Does anyone know why? Is there anyway I can have an itinerary with PEK-NRT in business and NRT-JFK in first?
The reason is that UA's award search and booking engine now completely sucks after they "enhanced" it last October.

You could try calling UA, but they can typically only book what the web booking engine returns, i.e., the same itinerary that you're seeing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.