Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking questions / issues / experiences for ANA (NH)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA award booking questions / issues / experiences for ANA (NH)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2016, 4:11 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Does NH release some award inventory for only their own mileage program redemptions?
I think they might but I thought it was only for their "elites" like UA is supposed to do. I didn't have the elite button checked though.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
NH has been doing this for 2 years. They save award space for its own members. As you can see I have no status with NH.

I frequently book NH using my NH miles and see this half the time.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:42 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
NH has been doing this for 2 years. They save award space for its own members. As you can see I have no status with NH.

I frequently book NH using my NH miles and see this half the time.
Gotcha. If a certain cabin is empty will they eventually open up to *A? I know its based on a variety of factors but curious what people have experienced...
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mh3265a
Gotcha. If a certain cabin is empty will they eventually open up to *A? I know its based on a variety of factors but curious what people have experienced...
F tends to open up last-minute. C, not as often.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
F tends to open up last-minute. C, not as often.
Roger but it's only a 2 class aircraft - the 767 from NRT to SGN. The 4:45pm has had plenty of C availability but the 7pm more stingy. I got my wife a C class seat but I'm back in Y for the time being.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Roger but it's only a 2 class aircraft - the 767 from NRT to SGN. The 4:45pm has had plenty of C availability but the 7pm more stingy. I got my wife a C class seat but I'm back in Y for the time being.
And I'd say C is much less likely to open, but try an ExpertFlyer alert if you don't want to constantly search manually.

Keep trying, though, because it seems this is some sort of glitch on ANA's end. Or not. But worth a few more tries.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
And I'd say C is much less likely to open, but try an ExpertFlyer alert if you don't want to constantly search manually.

Keep trying, though, because it seems this is some sort of glitch on ANA's end. Or not. But worth a few more tries.
Fair enough. Thanks!
Old Oct 27, 2016, 6:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Yes they are opening up closer to departure.

I have yet to find an specific pattern other than T-30.

But it's like LH-F opening up T-14 but not all 3 if avail.

Like Matthew said C is tough. If C opens up it would open up for NH members usually not UA.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Yes they are opening up closer to departure.

I have yet to find an specific pattern other than T-30.

But it's like LH-F opening up T-14 but not all 3 if avail.

Like Matthew said C is tough. If C opens up it would open up for NH members usually not UA.
Appreciate these data points....very helpful. C is wide open and I did snag one seat for my wife. Will just keep checking and hope another one opens up soon. Getting close to that T-30 so we'll see....
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA MP Plat MM, *G;Global Entry; Hertz, Budget; Accor Gold, Marriott Gold
Thumbs down ANA award seglemt vanished

I recently booked (for my son and wife, for me to join later on the return from another trip) an award itinerary SIN<->HNL (via Tokyo) which included the first/last (SIN<->TYO) legs on ANA.

The booking was quickly confirmed, money and miles deducted (also for purchase of extra miles required) etc. Yet the status online was continuously 'You will be promptly notified once the internal processing of your reservation has been finalized '

Today I called as the SIN<->TYO segments vanished from the booking.

The agent is 'trying to get this back'. I wonder what would have happened if my wife/son just went to the airport on that day expecting things to be ok.

There was no further update from united for days on that the ANA booking had not been successful or that there were any problems with it.

That I am expremely frustrated is an understatement

Any tips anyone?

M (UA Plat, 1MM) wife: UA Plat companion status

Last edited by matjes; Jan 4, 2017 at 9:34 pm Reason: typoes
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA MP Plat MM, *G;Global Entry; Hertz, Budget; Accor Gold, Marriott Gold
Ok. the agent managed to 'get back' my ANA segments, They had completely vanished. bummer. This really should not require one to keep an eye every day/hour and ivolve an agent
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by matjes
There was no further update from united for days on that the ANA booking had not been successful or that there were any problems with it.

That I am expremely frustrated is an understatement

This really should not require one to keep an eye every day/hour and ivolve an agent
That's pretty much standard practice with UA. Many people find it frustrating and misleading. But, you don't have to keep checking every day/hour. The wording on the initial booking email has good advice:

If you do not receive your receipt within three hours, please contact us.
If there's a problem or for whatever reason the reservation doesn't ticket, you get no communication about it. It's on you to confirm that you get the second email, which confirms the ticket purchase, and to contact them if you don't. But you don't have to continually check - just check once after 3 hours and call if it's not complete.

I'm not saying I like the way it is, or that it is as it should be, but it is what it is.

I wonder what would have happened if my wife/son just went to the airport on that day expecting things to be ok.
They would not have been boarded. This situation is much worse than what happens to some people, where a partner segment drops after the ticket is issued. In that case, even though the carrier may not think you have a valid reservation, you can point to the fact that you have a ticket for the flight. IATA guidelines indicate that a passenger with a valid ticket for a flight but no reservation should be considered as if they had a reservation for the flight, barring some other situation like positive record of a cancellation. But in your case, you would not have a valid ticket for the flight, since none was ever issued. Even if the carrier still considered the reservation to be valid, no ticket = no payment = no boarding.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 355F1
Yep...this just happened to my brother last week on an F ticket with Air China metal on the final leg!!!!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rd-ticket.html
Different issue. Here OP was never ticketed on the NH segment, so it dropped.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:58 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Kacee
Different issue. Here OP was never ticketed on the NH segment, so it dropped.
Oh.

Sorry.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 355F1
Oh.

Sorry.
No problem.

Solution / lesson is the same: You have to baby-sit your UA partner award reservations very carefully. In this case, you need to make sure you get the e-mail which says you've actually been ticketed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.