Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

✨ Polaris (& PP) Retrofits: Schedule, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2017, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: kirkwoodj
Check the current status of aircraft reconfigured (or delivered) with new Polaris seats: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris...-desktop-4/p/3.

A Polaris Update and Polaris Mod Schedule to indicate the status of specific aircraft are maintained by those that manage the United Airlines Fleet Website.

Except for 773- and 781-operated flights, and those markets selling Premium Plus, Polaris-equipped planes have not been allocated to specific routes. You won't know until approx. 36-48 hours before departure if you'll have a newly reconfigured aircraft, and even then, it may be replaced with a non-retrofitted aircraft.

777-300ER - All 22 aircraft have Polaris (60 seats) and installation of Premium Plus cabins (24 seats) is complete.

767-300ER - As of September 2020, 31 of the 38 aircraft have been reconfigured with the Polaris seats.
- Retrofit is from 3-cabin to 2-cabin with direct-aisle-access seats. No 3-cabin 767s remain in service.
- 76A configuration is 30J/50Y+/134Y, total of 214; fleet to consist of 17 ships (former 3-cabin 767s).
- 76L configuration is 46J/22PE/47Y+/52Y; fleet to consist of 21 ships (18 former 2-cabin 76C and 3 used ships from Hawaiian).

767-400ER - [16 aircraft] None updated yet; modifications put on hold due to Covid-19.

777-200ER - As of September 2020, 46 of the 50 aircraft have been reconfigured with Polaris and Premium Plus seats.
- Configuration is 50 Polaris seats, 32 in the front cabin and 18 in the second cabin (behind 2L/R)
- Configuration is 10 across in economy, with 24 Premium Plus seats, 46 86 E+ seats and 156 E seats, with E+ in front economy cabin plus exit rows and bulkhead at 3L/R, i.e., almost the same as current pmCO planes, except with 4 seats in middle section.
- Seat map (v5) on united.com

787-8, 787-9 - As of November 2022, all 787-8/9 are converted or in mod. No chance of flying old configuration anymore.
- 788 configuration has 28 Polaris seats (20 in front cabin, 8 in rear mini-cabin), and 21 Premium Plus seats (2-3-2).
- 789 configuration has 48 Polaris seats (32 in front cabin, 16 in rear mini-cabin), and 21 Premium Plus seats (2-3-2).

787-10 - 13 787-10s have been delivered in 2020. All come with Polaris and Premium Plus cabins factory-installed. Another 19 should be added by 2024.

FAQ:
Q: Does a Polaris ticket mean the aircraft has the new Polaris seat?

A: No, Polaris is the label UA uses for long haul international business class. It is also the label UA uses for the new seats, so this does create some confusion.
All the 773s and 787-10s are 100% the new seat.
The rest of the long haul fleet in various stages of conversion, see http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris...-desktop-4/p/3

Q: How to tell if my aircraft is the new style Polaris seats?
A: If the unassigned business class section is showing orange seats or all the seats are side-by-side or there is a section for 4 adjacent seats in the middle, this is an old style lie-flat aircreaft
If the unassigned bussines class seats are dark blue seats or the all the seats appear to have direct aisle access, then you aircraft is the new Polaris seat.
You can also look at the FT maintained, United Fleet Site and crosscheck the tail number or check thePolaris Update tab

Q: How to tell if my aircraft has the new PremiumPlus (PP) / Premium Economy seats?
A: If the unassigned seats just behind business class are purple seats or the aircraft is 773 or 787-10, then yes. However, the purple color seat will only show on routes where PP is being sold.
Aircraft with PP seats are being used on some routes but are not being sold as PP. In those cases, the seats are considered to be a part of E+. In those cases, an indicator of PP sold as E+ will be if the first few rows of economy, there are just 2 seats on the sides (with the rest of E+ showing 3 seats).

Q: Will the aircraft I see at booking be the same configuration at flight time?
A: Unfortunately with the fleet in transit, aircraft swaps happen. UA tends to use placeholders until 2 days before travel and even after that last minute swaps do happen.

Q: My flight seat map shows 772 with polaris seats is it a retrofit?
A: Possibly. The flight status page shows the most accurate scheduled aircraft. If a 77W is swapped in, it will list the aircraft as 777-300ER. However, if the 772's seatmap shows blue rectangular boxes in the business class cabin instead of orange "pointy rounds", this would indicate that a retrofit aircraft has been swapped.

See also: United Future/Changed Routes w/ Polaris seats

Print Wikipost

✨ Polaris (& PP) Retrofits: Schedule, ....

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2017, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Great. Thank you very much. That's it configuration I'm seeing.

I had originally booked on a flight to SFO, but apparently it was cancelled and we were booked via LAX instead. We managed to keep our original seat numbers, but the configuration is definitely different.
Old May 31, 2017, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by SF1K
I'm assuming it is this one.

I would stick to Row 3 - 4 is a bit close to the Lav.
+1. If the outside sets in 1 & 2 are taken, I think row 3 is best.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by warrenw
Well if you only look at United and not United express, 745 planes in the fleet, 6 have seats, making it 0.8% of the fleet has Polaris seats.
I think the relevant number is how many seats are being sold as "Polaris" when in fact the are just old BF seats?

This is like GM having commercials touting the 2019 Model, and they sell you that, but it is a 2016 model with a 2019 sticker on it.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Just saw this on Twitter but can't find any detailed articles on Boarding Area or other to add color. Wonder why UA didn't work with Cirrus after the Zodiac delays. This A350 Air France set-up looks mighty similar to the UA Polaris set-up but using a Cirrus product

Last edited by Duke787; Jun 2, 2017 at 7:37 am
Old Jun 2, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Duke787
Just saw this on Twitter but can't find any detailed articles on Boarding Area or other to add color. Wonder why UA didn't work with Cirrus after the Zodiac delays. This A350 Air France set-up looks might similar to the UA Polaris set-up but using a Cirrus product

https://twitter.com/A350_Production/...61009667657728

They even mention United Polaris in this article: http://thetravelersclub.boardingarea.com/exclusivite-amenagements-interieurs-airbus-a330-a350-dair-france/

I thought United had exclusively on these seats for 5 years?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Duke787
Just saw this on Twitter but can't find any detailed articles on Boarding Area or other to add color. Wonder why UA didn't work with Cirrus after the Zodiac delays. This A350 Air France set-up looks might similar to the UA Polaris set-up but using a Cirrus product

https://twitter.com/A350_Production/...61009667657728
Wow. Just looked and you're right, the AF A350 J cabin look so exactly like Polaris!! Lol.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by FlyHighInTheSky
They even mention United Polaris in this article: http://thetravelersclub.boardingarea...0-dair-france/

I thought United had exclusively on these seats for 5 years?
Only in North America. And as I understand it, Cirrus is the designer, Zodiac is the builder/fabricator that UA chose. An airline could have another fabricator build the Cirrus Optima seat if they so chose.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: Alaska FF
Originally Posted by char777
Only in North America. And as I understand it, Cirrus is the designer, Zodiac is the builder/fabricator that UA chose. An airline could have another fabricator build the Cirrus Optima seat if they so chose.
Acumen is the designer and holds the patent on the layout. Zodiac bought the rights to sell the seats outside of North America. Zodiac is the only fabricator building the Optima (Polaris) seat.

Air France has the Zodiac Cirrus Business seat in the rest of its fleet.

AF apparently was looking for a higher density seat than the Cirrus to put in the A350's.

Some or all of its A350's may be dedicated to a low cost, long haul venture.

Last edited by LDVFlyer; Jun 2, 2017 at 10:21 am
Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Thanks for that. I get all those silly made up names confused, but all I knew was that UA has exclusive rights to the design in North America only for a certain amount of time and that other fabricators can build the seat besides Zodiac.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, is it safe to assume that the Zodiac delivery issues are resolved, esp not holding back the 77W deliveries anymore?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Except that there is only one 77W still in storage.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:51 am

Programs: UA GOLD
I am booked on UA 804 NRT-IAD tomorrow. Seat map shows Polaris First but its a 777-200.

What seat will I get?
Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:24 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by ballen
I am booked on UA 804 NRT-IAD tomorrow. Seat map shows Polaris First but its a 777-200.

What seat will I get?
Ye olde Global First seat.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 4:05 am

Programs: UA GOLD
Originally Posted by st530
Ye olde Global First seat.
Really? What will the other 47 people booked into Polaris First get? Anyway to maximize chances of avoiding the 8 across seats?
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by ballen
Really? What will the other 47 people booked into Polaris First get? Anyway to maximize chances of avoiding the 8 across seats?
It's impossible to have 48 people booked into Polaris First, on any flight to any destination... I think you're confusing or conflating some things. First, Polaris First is the same seat as Global First was before, and Polaris Business is what United call all long-haul business class now, even if it's not got the new seats.

UA804 tomorrow does indeed have 772 listed as the equipment, though the seat map shows a 77W. Assuming the seat map is correct, this aircraft will not have Polaris First, and it will have the new Polaris Business seat in addition to the Polaris Business catering and soft product it would have had in any event. I hope this helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.