Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

✨ Polaris (& PP) Retrofits: Schedule, ....

Old May 29, 2017, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: kirkwoodj
Check the current status of aircraft reconfigured (or delivered) with new Polaris seats: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris...-desktop-4/p/3.

A Polaris Update and Polaris Mod Schedule to indicate the status of specific aircraft are maintained by those that manage the United Airlines Fleet Website.

Except for 773- and 781-operated flights, and those markets selling Premium Plus, Polaris-equipped planes have not been allocated to specific routes. You won't know until approx. 36-48 hours before departure if you'll have a newly reconfigured aircraft, and even then, it may be replaced with a non-retrofitted aircraft.

777-300ER - All 22 aircraft have Polaris (60 seats) and installation of Premium Plus cabins (24 seats) is complete.

767-300ER - As of September 2020, 31 of the 38 aircraft have been reconfigured with the Polaris seats.
- Retrofit is from 3-cabin to 2-cabin with direct-aisle-access seats. No 3-cabin 767s remain in service.
- 76A configuration is 30J/50Y+/134Y, total of 214; fleet to consist of 17 ships (former 3-cabin 767s).
- 76L configuration is 46J/22PE/47Y+/52Y; fleet to consist of 21 ships (18 former 2-cabin 76C and 3 used ships from Hawaiian).

767-400ER - [16 aircraft] None updated yet; modifications put on hold due to Covid-19.

777-200ER - As of September 2020, 46 of the 50 aircraft have been reconfigured with Polaris and Premium Plus seats.
- Configuration is 50 Polaris seats, 32 in the front cabin and 18 in the second cabin (behind 2L/R)
- Configuration is 10 across in economy, with 24 Premium Plus seats, 46 86 E+ seats and 156 E seats, with E+ in front economy cabin plus exit rows and bulkhead at 3L/R, i.e., almost the same as current pmCO planes, except with 4 seats in middle section.
- Seat map (v5) on united.com

787-8, 787-9 - As of November 2022, all 787-8/9 are converted or in mod. No chance of flying old configuration anymore.
- 788 configuration has 28 Polaris seats (20 in front cabin, 8 in rear mini-cabin), and 21 Premium Plus seats (2-3-2).
- 789 configuration has 48 Polaris seats (32 in front cabin, 16 in rear mini-cabin), and 21 Premium Plus seats (2-3-2).

787-10 - 13 787-10s have been delivered in 2020. All come with Polaris and Premium Plus cabins factory-installed. Another 19 should be added by 2024.

FAQ:
Q: Does a Polaris ticket mean the aircraft has the new Polaris seat?

A: No, Polaris is the label UA uses for long haul international business class. It is also the label UA uses for the new seats, so this does create some confusion.
All the 773s and 787-10s are 100% the new seat.
The rest of the long haul fleet in various stages of conversion, see http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris...-desktop-4/p/3

Q: How to tell if my aircraft is the new style Polaris seats?
A: If the unassigned business class section is showing orange seats or all the seats are side-by-side or there is a section for 4 adjacent seats in the middle, this is an old style lie-flat aircreaft
If the unassigned bussines class seats are dark blue seats or the all the seats appear to have direct aisle access, then you aircraft is the new Polaris seat.
You can also look at the FT maintained, United Fleet Site and crosscheck the tail number or check thePolaris Update tab

Q: How to tell if my aircraft has the new PremiumPlus (PP) / Premium Economy seats?
A: If the unassigned seats just behind business class are purple seats or the aircraft is 773 or 787-10, then yes. However, the purple color seat will only show on routes where PP is being sold.
Aircraft with PP seats are being used on some routes but are not being sold as PP. In those cases, the seats are considered to be a part of E+. In those cases, an indicator of PP sold as E+ will be if the first few rows of economy, there are just 2 seats on the sides (with the rest of E+ showing 3 seats).

Q: Will the aircraft I see at booking be the same configuration at flight time?
A: Unfortunately with the fleet in transit, aircraft swaps happen. UA tends to use placeholders until 2 days before travel and even after that last minute swaps do happen.

Q: My flight seat map shows 772 with polaris seats is it a retrofit?
A: Possibly. The flight status page shows the most accurate scheduled aircraft. If a 77W is swapped in, it will list the aircraft as 777-300ER. However, if the 772's seatmap shows blue rectangular boxes in the business class cabin instead of orange "pointy rounds", this would indicate that a retrofit aircraft has been swapped.

See also: United Future/Changed Routes w/ Polaris seats

Print Wikipost

✨ Polaris (& PP) Retrofits: Schedule, ....

Old May 30, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Kacee
I suspect it will look like 1-1-1 on the seat map, but density will be equivalent to the sCO 2-1-2. Thus 30 seats in the same space in both configurations.

Just as with the 77W, the inside window seats should be great for solo travelers. Options for couples (who are still speaking to each other) will likely be less great.
Given that the sCO seat on the two class 763 is narrower and shorter than on the 772 (United claims the seat is 3" shorter and 1.5" narrower) I am guessing if they stick with the same foot print, the Polaris seat will need to be smaller as well. I long avoided the 2-class 763, the seat is just too short for me (at 6'1.5" tall, with size 12 feet), are we going to see similar issues with the Polaris seat? On the 77W it is ok in length, a little tight in the shoulders, but if you took away 3" of length and 1.5" in width, I at least would not fit....

(and I say this as I am about to board a Delta 763, where I do fit on the older Vintage seats they installed.....)
Old May 30, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I suspect it will look like 1-1-1 on the seat map, but density will be equivalent to the sCO 2-1-2. Thus 30 seats in the same space in both configurations.
If I had to put money on it, this will be the seat map, it will mirror the 77W with 1 having true window seats and 2 having both seats closer to the aisle and alternate the middle seats

1 A- C- -K
2 -A -H K-
3 A- C- -K
4 -A -H K-
5 A- C- -K
6 -A -H K-
Old May 30, 2017, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by N104UA
If I had to put money on it, this will be the seat map, it will mirror the 77W with 1 having true window seats and 2 having both seats closer to the aisle and alternate the middle seats

1 A- C- -K
2 -A -H K-
3 A- C- -K
4 -A -H K-
5 A- C- -K
6 -A -H K-
The right hand side seat will be L.

Y/C will go AB DEF KL.
Old May 30, 2017, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
The right hand side seat will be L.

Y/C will go AB DEF KL.
Ah so they are going with the CO numbering and not the UA numbering
Old May 30, 2017, 2:36 pm

1 A- C- -K
2 -A -H K-
3 A- C- -K
4 -A -H K-
5 A- C- -K
6 -A -H K-
My mistake it would have to be 10 rows of this for 30 seats which will be tight with the same footprint

1 A- C- -L
2 -A -H L-
3 A- C- -L
4 -A -H L-
5 A- C- -L
6 -A -H L-
7 A- C- -L
8 -A -H L-
9 A- C- -L
10 -A -H L-
Old May 30, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
My mistake it would have to be 10 rows of this for 30 seats which will be tight with the same footprint

1 A- C- -L
2 -A -H L-
3 A- C- -L
4 -A -H L-
5 A- C- -L
6 -A -H L-
7 A- C- -L
8 -A -H L-
9 A- C- -L
10 -A -H L-
So based on my rough analysis. The footprint of the new Polaris seats appears like this. For every set of 4 PMCO seats, 3 polaris seats replace the window side and 6 polaris seats replace the center section. This accounts for the lateral usage of the 777 (230” cabin width) by taking some from the old window pair and giving some to the center section. Quick math indicates that you have 192” to play with when you remove 40” for both aisles (FAA rule of 20” per aisle). 192” divided by 4 give the remaining cross section of 47.5” per seat in the 1-2-1 config.

My take on this comes from the PMCO second J cabin where 24 seats currently reside. If UA expects to replace this section with the same number; that means 6 rows are required in the same space. The benefit on the Polaris design is that you get to squeeze in an extra body in the middle section as you are given room by the narrower footprint of the window seats.

Now on the 763 the seats are currently shorter, but due to the cabin width of 186” they are forced to do a 1-1-1 design. Again remove 40” form 186” and you end up with 48.66” per seat in the 1-1-1 config. The issue is that if you replace 3 polaris seats for every 4 seats (2pair) on the window side you get 9 total on the port side, 9 on the starboard with enough width to add 9 Polaris seats in the middle section at the same footprint as the window sides. That gets me to 27 seats. So where are these extra 3 seats coming from?

My question up thread either indicates the extra inches are being taken from the Polaris design (current seat footprint is already 3 inches shorter than the 777s), from the E+ seats, the E- seats or could it be that UA is going 2-4-2 in Y- (queue ominous music and a picture of Kirby with a Smisek grin).

My gut tells me E+ is going down to 34” and that a few rows of E- seats will go down to 30” in order to get 10 rows of 1-1-1.
Old May 30, 2017, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Halo117
So based on my rough analysis. The footprint of the new Polaris seats appears like this. For every set of 4 PMCO seats, 3 polaris seats replace the window side and 6 polaris seats replace the center section. This accounts for the lateral usage of the 777 (230” cabin width) by taking some from the old window pair and giving some to the center section. Quick math indicates that you have 192” to play with when you remove 40” for both aisles (FAA rule of 20” per aisle). 192” divided by 4 give the remaining cross section of 47.5” per seat in the 1-2-1 config.

My take on this comes from the PMCO second J cabin where 24 seats currently reside. If UA expects to replace this section with the same number; that means 6 rows are required in the same space. The benefit on the Polaris design is that you get to squeeze in an extra body in the middle section as you are given room by the narrower footprint of the window seats.

Now on the 763 the seats are currently shorter, but due to the cabin width of 186” they are forced to do a 1-1-1 design. Again remove 40” form 186” and you end up with 48.66” per seat in the 1-1-1 config. The issue is that if you replace 3 polaris seats for every 4 seats (2pair) on the window side you get 9 total on the port side, 9 on the starboard with enough width to add 9 Polaris seats in the middle section at the same footprint as the window sides. That gets me to 27 seats. So where are these extra 3 seats coming from?

My question up thread either indicates the extra inches are being taken from the Polaris design (current seat footprint is already 3 inches shorter than the 777s), from the E+ seats, the E- seats or could it be that UA is going 2-4-2 in Y- (queue ominous music and a picture of Kirby with a Smisek grin).

My gut tells me E+ is going down to 34” and that a few rows of E- seats will go down to 30” in order to get 10 rows of 1-1-1.
UA has said that they will use the same footprint as the existing cabin.

On the 2 cabin 772 there are 26 seats between doors 1-2 (which is 33' 10.5" long x 19' 1" wide) on the 77W with the same amount of room they put 28 seats there with a large galley, so they potentially could get 30+ seats there, so I think they will be able to get the 30 seats in the same footprint on the 763 as only the forward galley will be necessary with 50% of the pax.
Old May 31, 2017, 12:44 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
So what percentage of 'Polaris' seats being flown today are actually Polaris seats?
Old May 31, 2017, 1:27 am

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by PushingTin
So what percentage of 'Polaris' seats being flown today are actually Polaris seats?
Well if you only look at United and not United express, 745 planes in the fleet, 6 have seats, making it 0.8% of the fleet has Polaris seats.
Old May 31, 2017, 8:25 am
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
Originally Posted by warrenw
Well if you only look at United and not United express, 745 planes in the fleet, 6 have seats, making it 0.8% of the fleet has Polaris seats.
Yes, but the relevant number would be the international fleet (with Polaris eligible flights). I think international to domestic mainline split is about 50:50 on passengers, but I imagine someone here can provide the exact number of planes doing international Polaris routes.
Old May 31, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I'll be on UA 1241 to LAX and the seat map has changed in F - it appears I'm now in a rear facing seat.

Does this mean I'm getting the new Polaris seat/service? I can't find the info anywhere

If it does, any opinions about sitting that way versus facing forward?
Old May 31, 2017, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I'll be on UA 1241 to LAX and the seat map has changed in F - it appears I'm now in a rear facing seat.

Does this mean I'm getting the new Polaris seat/service? I can't find the info anywhere
A rear facing seat means you are definitively not getting the new seat.

Without knowing the route, this is just a guess, but if it's domestic, you're probably on the 772HD. No Polaris service, though they might have the pillow and duvet.

If it does, any opinions about sitting that way versus facing forward?
Seat location is much more important than which you face IMO.
Old May 31, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by Halo117

They are using the same footprint as the existing cabin. Remember, it's not "1-1-1" like current 1-1-1 cabins, because Polaris is a different configuration. Seats are at angles in different ways than they are now, which is difficult to calculate, but it will fit.
Old May 31, 2017, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
A rear facing seat means you are definitively not getting the new seat.

Without knowing the route, this is just a guess, but if it's domestic, you're probably on the 772HD. No Polaris service, though they might have the pillow and duvet.
It's EWR-LAX.

Seat location is much more important than which you face IMO.
We're in row 3, which is rear facing. The galley appears to be near row 4. I can't say I've ever seen that configuration. Our other options are rows 3 + 4 on the other side. Rows 1 & 2 are taken.
Old May 31, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
It's EWR-LAX.

We're in row 3, which is rear facing. The galley appears to be near row 4. I can't say I've ever seen that configuration. Our other options are rows 3 + 4 on the other side. Rows 1 & 2 are taken.
I'm assuming it is this one.

I would stick to Row 3 - 4 is a bit close to the Lav.
Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.