Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: Is united.com or parts of it down? And other UA website issues[ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated: Is united.com or parts of it down? And other UA website issues[ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by j8s8er
Observed this for the last couple of days too. Turning off the AdblockPlus extension on my browser on the site seems to fix it. Looks like united.com is trying to get smarter about trackers so they can violate users privacy more.
Yup, that fixed it. I had already tried turning it off, but it seems that I had to turn it off AND clear cookies before re-accessing the site.

I suspect they are less interested in privacy and more in stopping scraping as fumje mentioned above. I may.. umm... have a bit of experience with small-time scraping of the UA website, and a few months ago I noticed they were doing some fairly aggressive work on this - if you claimed to be using a few specific browser (via a user-agents header), but then left out other headers or characteristics of that browser, then the connection would fail (generally just no reply to the request, not as error like in this case). As someone that's worked in the web security industry, that surprised even me! I suspect there's a call that my AdBlocker is blocking that's one they are using to determine if you're a valid browser...

(For what it's worth, I think that is all happening at Akamai, not at United themselves - but that's just a guess)

Update:
OK, so I may have to take that back... the link that is breaking things is :
https://www.united.com/adBlockBait.png?ad_type=FakeAd

With that link blocked (and in my case, it was triggering on the "?ad_type=" rule from EastList, one of the more popular ....... lists), I get an error the moment I try and search for anything (flights, flight status, etc). With that one specific URL whitelisted, everything works. Alternatively, manually going to that URL after loading the homepage also works.

If anyone else hits this issue, you can work around it by adding a rule to your ....... software with this :
@@||united.com/adBlockBait.png

Last edited by docbert; Dec 16, 2018 at 10:57 pm
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Yes, if you check it, it will (theoretically) populate your UA # at next session, so whoever uses the computer next will know the # and may be at liberty to try to hack your password.

Good at home as the number no longer populates like it used to when you enter the first letter.

WN has been doing that for a long time.
After some tinkering, I find that it does do something, but certain ad-blockers / anti-tracking features can interrupt the 'Remember me' function and make it appear that it does nothing. Apparently whatever it uses as memory looks suspicious in some way.

When it does do something, it fills in the MP# field with *****123 so that it doesn't need to be re-entered. Perhaps that's worth something even if not much.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Not sure if this is by design, but I'm getting a fairly unique error message when my 'change flight' search errors out. At least now I know it's not random and there is a reason for why it never works
Attached Images  
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by docbert
(For what it's worth, I think that is all happening at Akamai, not at United themselves - but that's just a guess)
The "Access Denied" page mentioning a reference # and lacking any style is indeed a telltale sign for Akamai's CDN. Thanks for the detailed feedback.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mozilla
The "Access Denied" page mentioning a reference # and lacking any style is indeed a telltale sign for Akamai's CDN. Thanks for the detailed feedback.
The block page is absolutely Akamai. However it is possible for the source website ("origin" in Akamai speak) to trigger that style of message from Akamai. It's also possible to configure Akamai to send that style of message for any error message coming from the source site (which in theory removes the possibility of information leakage via a website error message).

So whilst the message itself is coming from Akamai, the actual decision to block could be either Akamai (eg, their Kona WAF product) or United.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
How to upgrade with RPU and GPU

After I click upgrade flights, there are two options: buy up or Miles; clicking the latter, I get the RPU or GPU options. However, the “continue” button is hidden. There is no way that I can complete this task. The other problem on the bottom of the picture is that some flights should be upgradable with RPU, such as HKG-GUM, but shown to be un-upgradable. Any similar recent experience? Thanks.

Website error

Last edited by Kmxu; Dec 23, 2018 at 8:14 pm Reason: Add picture
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:46 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I went in today to check on an award I'd booked as a domestic standard F award for my wife for February. Saver still not available, but "Everyday First Award" had dropped several thousand miles from when I booked it before.

Everything goes through to the payment screen, then it errors out. I've tried in several browsers.

Have been on the phone with Web support for a half an hour now; they say they can see that it should refund the miles, but can't get it to do so and are working on "manually" crediting my account.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:53 pm

United website down?

Anyone else having a problem or is it just my computer?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sgosline
Anyone else having a problem or is it just my computer?
What kind of problem?

I just logged on and looked up a reservation with no issues.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:11 pm

It won't load at all. I also tried booking on the app and it timed out.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Works fine for me....
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
I've already run in to difficulties with united.com NOT displaying the J seat map when trying to decide on whether to waitlist a W fare with a GPU (see here).

Now I get this fine display (maybe they already ripped out some seats of the 77Y in anticipation of being Polarized?):

Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Sometimes, some of the box icons don't load right. The blanks are all probably empty E+ seats.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1K
Record Locator for Skywest DBA UX instead of LH

Here's an interesting one. Has anyone else ever seen this before? Have an upcoming trip SLC-SFO-FRA-KEF and back with UX, UA and LH segments (respectively). When I look at the trip details on the website, it shows a partner confirmation for "Skywest dba United Express" but the number is actually for my Lufthansa flight. Even funnier, when I look at the same info on the mobile app it says "Delta Connection operated by Skywest Airlines". Everything looks fine with the reservation and the LH confirmation is also good. Emailed the 1K desk just to let them know of the bug. But, found it amusing that the app thinks I'm on Delta Connection (ewwwwww). LOL
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
For a while the displayed PNR was also wrong, so this is an improvement

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.