FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Pilot Q & A thread
Print Wikipost

United Pilot Q & A {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was on a flight today that had CH9 enabled. In addition to ATC I could also hear the crew intercom communications which was a first. From what I've read on FT I thought the VHF radios was a separate system. Is that not true?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by TomMM
I was on a flight today that had CH9 enabled. In addition to ATC I could also hear the crew intercom communications which was a first. From what I've read on FT I thought the VHF radios was a separate system. Is that not true?
Each pilot and observer position in the cockpit has an audio panel that allows the occupant to select from the available audio sources. Ch.9 is just the output from one of those audio panels. If more than one audio source is selected then you will hear more than one.

Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, thanks.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:56 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Yes,

channel 9 refers to the old analog audio on PMUA planes - one of the channels was for TV and others were for music IIRC. Ch9 obviously unique to UA - lots of debate around merger time about FlyerTalkers wanting post merger UA to keep it.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks to the crew I kept up with the world cup scores!
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Each pilot and observer position in the cockpit has an audio panel that allows the occupant to select from the available audio sources. Ch.9 is just the output from one of those audio panels. If more than one audio source is selected then you will hear more than one.

Think of it as a mixing console.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Is there an avionics system on the flight deck which goes through a noisy reboot sequence just before pushback? I have been hearing "GO AROUND .. WIND SHEAR AHEAD, WIND SHEAR AHEAD" from the cockpit while we're getting ready to push every flight now.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by findark
Is there an avionics system on the flight deck which goes through a noisy reboot sequence just before pushback? I have been hearing "GO AROUND .. WIND SHEAR AHEAD, WIND SHEAR AHEAD" from the cockpit while we're getting ready to push every flight now.
That's a systems test. Pilots test each system to ensure everything is working. Other notable announcements are "Monitor vertical speed!" "Terrain! Terrain!" and "Pull up! Pull up!"
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
I was listening to ATC and heard, following the takeoff of a UA 757-300, an AA 737 being told to "line up and wait". They politely refused because they said they needed "at least 2 minutes behind the 753" and there was inbound traffic for the runway. Is there a standard interval that is required for smaller jets behind larger ones? In the past I have heard "caution wake turbulence" but never heard the following aircraft decline a takeoff.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
In the past I have heard "caution wake turbulence" but never heard the following aircraft decline a takeoff.
There are a number of requirements. What you heard was the pilot requesting the two-minute separation instead of the radar separation.

AIM 7-3-9. AIR TRAFFIC WAKE TURBULENCE SEPARATIONS
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LarryJ
For what it's worth whenever I have found ch9 to be carrying the intercom audio as well as ATC I have quietly told a FA to inform the captain. I think this is just polite. The intercom may occasionally be interesting but it is rather like listening in on someone's private conversation on a party line (for those who remember those). ATC is inherently public but the intercom is assumed a private channel to those on the phone and I don't think it is really polite to be eavesdropping on it.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:34 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by pdx1M

For what it's worth whenever I have found ch9 to be carrying the intercom audio as well as ATC I have quietly told a FA to inform the captain. I think this is just polite. The intercom may occasionally be interesting but it is rather like listening in on someone's private conversation on a party line (for those who remember those). ATC is inherently public but the intercom is assumed a private channel to those on the phone and I don't think it is really polite to be eavesdropping on it.
^
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
I've experienced twice now on the 77w where the cockpit announced that CH9 would be available, but nothing actually came through .
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
I've experienced twice now on the 77w where the cockpit announced that CH9 would be available, but nothing actually came through .
It usually means that the master switch is "ON," but the individual audio level on #1 observer radio panel is not faded up. Passing along the word to the cockpit via an FA can rectify this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Flew into Laramie, Wyoming recently. It appears there is no control tower there, which isn't terribly surprising since there's only one or two UA flights a day there.

What do pilots on UAX or UA do when flying into an airport with no tower? Are they always with the center the airport is in from takeoff to landing? For example, for DEN-LAR would Denver Center control them the entire way, including giving them clearance to land? Or is there some general frequency for the airport that the pilots will just announce their intentions to other aircraft in the immediate area? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.