Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Who is on the First Polaris International Flight SFO-HKG on March 25?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who is on the First Polaris International Flight SFO-HKG on March 25?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Just told the first bear was going online for $300 bucks when first came out.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Was there any swag in addition to the bear? Certificates? Promotional stuff?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I think they gave GS inaugural 777 photo. Only say it that way since received after ticket scan agent gave the nod to her associate. But the same photo was on my Polaris side table. So I have two. No other swag.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: Air France Gold, Emirates Gold, former UA 1K, Marriott/Ritz Gold, Hyatt Diamond...
the wifi is working (though $30 they could give it away ...) my flight attendant (left side front) is bad but trying hard

bread is stale, food so so at best

Last edited by FrenchCaliFlyer; Mar 25, 2017 at 5:18 pm Reason: update
Old Mar 25, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
WiFi is pretty decent on the flight. The GS agents said I was one of many on board...an unusual large amount he said.

There are still gel pillows and pajamas on board...saw a bunch stashed in the 10L overhead bin.

No differences in the soft product rolled out earlier. I requested both red/white flights but was told by my FA I could only have 1 flight at a time, which has been a departure from my previous experiences.

Threats of turbulence suspended service a few times, but it's back on track.

You can see pictures/videos on Twitter and Snapchat at theWeatherboy

Lunch/dinner was decent.

Cheese/grapes/plastic wrapped crackers came out with pre poured glasses of port. 3 generic chunks of cheese without description...I think it was blue, cheddar, and brie.

When dessert cart came down, FA explained there wasn't enough to go around. So I was left a chocolate/nut square and a tiny cup of a citrusy thing...perhaps a key lime pie bite.

On other flights, they plate an assortment of all. So I guess the 77W doesn't have enough catering space if everyone in Polaris decides to eat. To be fair, lots of sleeping passengers here...but probably not as many as UA wants.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 25, 2017 at 6:08 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 25, 2017, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
On other flights, they plate an assortment of all. So I guess the 77W doesn't have enough catering space if everyone in Polaris decides to eat. To be fair, lots of sleeping passengers here...but probably not as many as UA wants.
60 J seats is a high amount. I would also imagine that the number of people eating on-board will decrease once they have Polaris lounges everywhere up and running - especially for red-eye TATLs, I would eat at EWR and simply sleep the entire flight.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by S.R
I was under the impression that the point of the domestic flights on the 77W was so the intl FA's/flight deck crew could be familiarized with the aircraft so when intl service started things would go without issues. Guess not if this is their first time on the plane!
When the 77Ws first came they were sCO... only swapped to sUA after the third frame was delivered. And IIRC SFO-HKG is crewed by the HKG base so pretty unlikely that any of the FAs would have worked an SFO-EWR trip before that. I think.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
When dessert cart came down, FA explained there wasn't enough to go around. So I was left a chocolate/nut square and a tiny cup of a citrusy thing...perhaps a key lime pie bite.

While I am all for not wasting food, it seems pretty bad that they are planning on / hoping people don't eat so they have enough food.... Do other big international carriers do this in their premium cabins?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 10:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by username
While I am all for not wasting food, it seems pretty bad that they are planning on / hoping people don't eat so they have enough food.... Do other big international carriers do this in their premium cabins?
It sounds like a catering error.

Usually not an issue on other carriers. But on LX, I've been told they were out of my first choice. Never had that happen on LH, TG, CX, SQ, OZ, etc.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by FrenchCaliFlyer
my screen doesn't load any previews and they can't find pjs and the FA answer is "we are learning like you", "first time in this plane", etc... nice training:-)
Perhaps you are not aware EWR-SFO-EWR had been and still are staffed with sCO EWR base crew since day 1. SFO-HKG is a sUA route staffed with sUA HKG base crew, so it IS their first time in this plane.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Perhaps you are not aware EWR-SFO-EWR had been and still are staffed with sCO EWR base crew since day 1. SFO-HKG is a sUA route staffed with sUA HKG base crew, so it IS their first time in this plane.
Sub CO no longer staffs the 77W.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:10 am

Programs: Air France Gold, Emirates Gold, former UA 1K, Marriott/Ritz Gold, Hyatt Diamond...
another small tip: don't put personal things in or don't close the cabinet (with the small mirror inside) - mine doesn't open which was scary after I put my passport in it. got no help from FA when I mentioned my stuff was in there, eventually by hitting it hard it opened again (5A)

question: what is the small button under the well
designed reading lamp ? (it's pushable but doesn't seem to toggle anything)

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
That's no excuse for not getting the crew trained properly. (it may be the explanation as to why it's their first time in the plane but it's still not acceptable imo)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 26, 2017 at 1:22 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:18 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by altbg
Interesting, I did not know gate 89 could handle a 77W. I have never seen anything larger than a 757-300 parked there.
We were on #2131 (UA497) this morning from EWR to SFO and yes, we came into G89. We also got the bear! (even though we weren't going on to HKG)
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:22 am

The HKG based staff had no chance for training on this plane. UA did not even do a mock up in HKG aka galley and a familiarization was only offered for staff when the plane arrives. Why would UA not staff this flight with a US based crew trained on the plane?

The avod issues known about on the ground persist. Shame on UA mechanics at SFO for lame excuses and flip answers. The bird should have had a better check before being pulled to the gate. Sure the press is impressed with their avod also.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:30 am

What exactly is the issue with the AVOD? In what cabins?

And I'm guessing the company had their hands tied vis-a-via training with the sUA HKG crew. There's a lot of gymnastics they've been having to jump through, as the 77W transitions from sCO to fully sUA. Annoying, but I'll give them some slack on this one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.