Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Who is on the First Polaris International Flight SFO-HKG on March 25?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who is on the First Polaris International Flight SFO-HKG on March 25?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: UA MM, Marriott lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
So they have a much awaited and much hyped inaugural flight and they staff it with an FA crew that has has never seen that aircraft type from the inside before? Or even a simulator? Did they at least put them up at the SFO Holiday Inn Express the night before the flight?
So what is the point of doing the domestic runs for familiarity if the crew had never been in the aircraft before? Or were these familiarity runs more for ground crew?

Also, there was a 11:59pm SFO-ORD redeye on Saturday night 3/25. Is this due to the fact that with the 77W coming online for intercontinental routes they are putting them back on domestic runs as well or was this a weird one off during spring break?
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:04 am

Great photos!!!
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: UA Platinum
I'm curious on the thoughts of everyone who was on the flight, I saw some reviews about food and seats, but is this a game changer for UA (on their intl product)?

Is it only a game changer for J (since Y seems to be sardined)?
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
77W staffing will be 13 FAs.
Originally Posted by Jetlagged Traveler
77W -12 - check the sign in sheet - subua
Whether it is 12 or 13, is that sufficient to provide good service? My observation is that the biggest factor influence service is the passenger load - another word, staffing level to a large extent.

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
I'm sub CO we don't use a sign in sheet. Pretty ridiculous to staff a 366 seat plane with only 12 FAs but hey im not surprised thankfully I never worked the plane when it was assigned sub CO and have zero desire to do so when we finally are merged completely.
Oops, did not see this. I guess here is the answer.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by popoemt
I'm curious on the thoughts of everyone who was on the flight, I saw some reviews about food and seats, but is this a game changer for UA (on their intl product)?

I cannot comment on Y because I have not flown UA international Y for almost 9 years.

Is it a game changer for J? I am not so sure based on my frequent travel on other *A carriers. Seats are definitely better with more privacy. Although the soft products are have improved since December 1st, 2016, it is still fair average as compared to other reputable airlines.

Overall,huge improvement! Game changer- not sure yet.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice pictures! I booked this flight ex HKG in F for next week long before I knew that it would be changing. I flew it last year on the 747, so guess I'll get to compare the two. Hopefully they'll have all the kinks worked out of the flights.

It was going to be my daughters first 747 and F flight, but hopefully as a 4 year old, she won't be disappointed.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Elsewhere on the island of Chek Lap Kok, after 862 the last 747-400 departed, and before 869 the first 777-300 arrived, Mrs. Carrie Lam won "777" votes (out of 1194) to become the next Chief Executive of the HKSAR (2017-07-01 to 2022-06-30).
Old Mar 26, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Slurve30
So what is the point of doing the domestic runs for familiarity if the crew had never been in the aircraft before? Or were these familiarity runs more for ground crew?

Also, there was a 11:59pm SFO-ORD redeye on Saturday night 3/25. Is this due to the fact that with the 77W coming online for intercontinental routes they are putting them back on domestic runs as well or was this a weird one off during spring break?
See the BA crew training vid below, but I'm sure United has a mockup aircraft like this for the crew to practice on.

Even still, the seats are the only thing different. Polaris service has been around for 3 months now that this crew probably has had a fair amount of experience already with meal prep.

Old Mar 26, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I wish everything was like 2" bigger in every direction. I found my legs and arms/hands falling asleep when I was trying to sleep because the tight quarters were cutting off circulation.
That's not a good sign. Hopefully this won't be a common critique.

Originally Posted by FrenchCaliFlyer
so I guess if you have to fly united, the new polaris makes it bearable but you probably still want to fly anything else if you can
Seems to be the general consensus here.

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
That FA crew was working hard to make up for any shortfalls including never ever having seen that plane before. With all the stuff at the gates they literally saw the inside of the plane three minutes before the paxs.
Poor planning on UAs part.

At least the surprise and awe of the aircraft interior by the crew was authentic!
Lol

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Nice pictures! I booked this flight ex HKG in F for next week long before I knew that it would be changing.
Did you get a refund for equipment swap and no more F cabin?
Old Mar 26, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Slurve30

I am pretty sure the aircraft itself must do XX hours of flying before being ETOPS certified. So they do domestic runs to get hours on the plane and prove it ability to maintain itself, then it gets certified.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
After sat/slept in 9G for 14 hours on the inaugural flight, here are a few things I have issues with the seat (this won't prevent me not flying United and the new seats are big improvement):

1. Yes, I agree with the prior comment on everything needs have two more inches.

2. There is little arm space (right arm for E seats and left arms for G seats on the odd number rows). I find my self looking for place to rest my left arm and triggered the switch on the divider multiple times (luckily I was flying with a colleague)

3. Overhead lights above the seats behind you shine on my face when I am in lie flat position or in a lounge chair position to watch the IFE.

4. Row 9 is still too close to the restroom. It was not a problem on a transcon flight, but on long haul, it became a problem with galley activities and frequent use of the restrooms and crew storage areas nearby.

5. Tray table not wide enough if I am using a mouse with my laptop.

6. Sat in 2E a couple of weeks ago and the angle is awkward and I was bothered by the aisle traffic and passenger activities across the aisle. It was bearable on a 5-hour transcon flight, but I'd choose a different seat from the aisle facing window and aisle face center seats. Basically, ignore even number rows if you are looking for a quieter flight.

Again, just some minior points to note. I do think the new seats and cabin are excellent improvements made by United. They are better than the current s/UA and s/CO business seats/cabins. I am looking to fly the 77W again next week.

​​​​​​​
Old Mar 26, 2017, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

Great pics of the bears with the spike glasses. Well done!

Glad you enjoyed the flight and thanks for posting.

Cheers
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
But is the new hard product good enough to compete for the next dozen years? Probably not. I also found my right arm falling asleep. And the soft product especially the food. Definitely not. We had a great HKG Asia based crew who were all working hard and being attentive. What can we say about that? And that avod. I would have thought there would be outreach to all the pax. Seeing a hour glass for hours on end with no preview pic content loaded. Fails.

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
After sat/slept in 9G for 14 hours on the inaugural flight, here are a few things I have issues with the seat (this won't prevent me not flying United and the new seats are big improvement):

1. Yes, I agree with the prior comment on everything needs have two more inches.

2. There is little arm space (right arm for E seats and left arms for G seats on the odd number rows). I find my self looking for place to rest my left arm and triggered the switch on the divider multiple times (luckily I was flying with a colleague)

3. Overhead lights above the seats behind you shine on my face when I am in lie flat position or in a lounge chair position to watch the IFE.

4. Row 9 is still too close to the restroom. It was not a problem on a transcon flight, but on long haul, it became a problem with galley activities and frequent use of the restrooms and crew storage areas nearby.

5. Tray table not wide enough if I am using a mouse with my laptop.

6. Sat in 2E a couple of weeks ago and the angle is awkward and I was bothered by the aisle traffic and passenger activities across the aisle. It was bearable on a 5-hour transcon flight, but I'd choose a different seat from the aisle facing window and aisle face center seats. Basically, ignore even number rows if you are looking for a quieter flight.

Again, just some minior points to note. I do think the new seats and cabin are excellent improvements made by United. They are better than the current s/UA and s/CO business seats/cabins. I am looking to fly the 77W again next week.

​​​​​​​
I thought Oscar looked tight in those initial photos and noticed he never put his shoulders back into the Polaris seat. Either us guys needs two inches off our width or UA could put two inches into those seats. UA should start working on that.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 26, 2017 at 10:48 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by popoemt

Definitely not a game-changer. I think UA doing away with international first class is a game-changer. I think updating their business product is more of an evolution than some seismic shift.

Would be interesting to see if the economics warranted a return of an F cabin in 5-10 years or so.

I do think their Polaris lounges, or at least the one in Chicago, is a game-changer. Higher-end food/drink offerings and things like places to shower/nap in comfort will definitely get the other carriers to notice.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: AS G100K, UA Silver
Definitely not a game-changer. I think UA doing away with international first class is a game-changer. I think updating their business product is more of an evolution than some seismic shift.

Would be interesting to see if the economics warranted a return of an F cabin in 5-10 years or so.

I do think their Polaris lounges, or at least the one in Chicago, is a game-changer. Higher-end food/drink offerings and things like places to shower/nap in comfort will definitely get the other carriers to notice.
I agree with all of these points. Having flown the new hard product, experienced the soft, and was in the Polaris lounge, I also believe that the new J product is more evolutionary, and quite frankly, a bit too late.

At this point though, I'm not sure if that's a bad thing. We really don't know where J class will go from here. A decade ago it was "lie-flats", but since now everyone is all-aisle access, I don't know what the next step even is. The lounge however, really is different than anything else I've seen domestic. On par or above with some Asian carrier's offerings...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.