Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Who is on the First Polaris International Flight SFO-HKG on March 25?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who is on the First Polaris International Flight SFO-HKG on March 25?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2017, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I agree with all of these points. Having flown the new hard product, experienced the soft, and was in the Polaris lounge, I also believe that the new J product is more evolutionary, and quite frankly, a bit too late.

At this point though, I'm not sure if that's a bad thing. We really don't know where J class will go from here. A decade ago it was "lie-flats", but since now everyone is all-aisle access, I don't know what the next step even is. The lounge however, really is different than anything else I've seen domestic. On par or above with some Asian carrier's offerings...
The next step will inevitably be the introduction of a true premium economy following the full elimination of international F. In ten years, premium economy will evolve to lie flat, and business will evolve to private suites.

Then the cycle will start all over.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:58 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by zrs70
Then the cycle will start all over.
When I was in primary and secondary schools in 1980s Hong Kong, many of my textbooks had names prefixed with "New", as in "New (name of publisher) (optional branding adjective) (subject)". I always wonder how the next generation of textbooks would be named. I didn't hang around to see that.

Now I guess the next generation of premium economy would be something like "supremium economy"?

In other news, a friend covering the 862/27th event at Gate 60 told me there was no cake like 869/25th at SFO. Can anyone post some photos?
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by popoemt
I'm curious on the thoughts of everyone who was on the flight, I saw some reviews about food and seats, but is this a game changer for UA (on their intl product)?

Is it only a game changer for J (since Y seems to be sardined)?
I've flown the seat 3 times now, and my perspective is that while it is an improvement for UA overall, it's probably not a game-changer.

For my own part, when paying for J, I'd always fly this over SQ, NH, OZ, TG, etc. assuming I could get an odd-row seat and possibly even otherwise. I'd also fly this over most other carriers because of my approaching 2MM status.

However, that's not a substantial change on my part - the only scenario I would not have made the same choice prior to the Polaris seat would have been a pmCO non-bulkhead seat. I'd book away from that every time.

For people who prefer SQ, CX, BR, or others, and have no pre-existing loyalties, I don't see this seat making them book away. That's the general sentiment of a handful of people that I've spoken with as well.

thus - not really a game-changer, IMO, even though I'm personally happy with it.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by cricketer
For people who prefer SQ, CX, BR, or others, and have no pre-existing loyalties, I don't see this seat making them book away. That's the general sentiment of a handful of people that I've spoken with as well.

thus - not really a game-changer, IMO, even though I'm personally happy with it.
I think this is the reality, and likely why United is so worried about this seat. It is nice compared to what United currently has, but it is mehh compared to the better current seats flown by others. There is simply nothing that makes you go "wow" unless you are a United loyalist, in which case it is a big step up. This will keep more people who are locked into United from leaving, but attracting new traffic? No so much.

Meanwhile the competition (delta) is going with nicer seats, and United will be stuck with these seats which are tight for a long while, as their competitive posture gets lapped.

Originally Posted by FrenchCaliFlyer
overall it was a good flight and an improvement over the previous product.... but I am now on my next leg in a CX shiny new A350-900 and the seat and screen and vod and space are so much better...

so I guess if you have to fly united, the new polaris makes it bearable but you probably still want to fly anything else if you can
This is the reaction that should put the fear of god into United. You fly a new CX and a new UA plane, in paid J, and which is clearly better....
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by spin88
This is the reaction that should put the fear of god into United. You fly a new CX and a new UA plane, in paid J, and which is clearly better....
As more and more UA FC seats disappear and those pax who normally flew FC now must "endure" Polaris, it would be interesting to read their comments here.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by artvandalay
As more and more UA FC seats disappear and those pax who normally flew FC now must "endure" Polaris, it would be interesting to read their comments here.
And it is not just the seat being smaller/tighter While the food was the same (+soup), the wines and personal service was better.

I note that even those who like the seat, still are dogging on the food/drink. And I would also add that not to have expresso on a plane at this point is downright noncompetitive. One of the few things CO did right was have expresso, it was an unwise cost cutting by Jeff.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: UA Premier Plat, Marco Polo Club Green , HH Blue, Marriott Plat
SFO-TPE also got bears on the 25th

Originally Posted by Wyfind
Expect the Polaris teddy bears tomorrow
SFO-TPE got bears on the 25th as well.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:15 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by artvandalay
I'm a regular GPU-applying J->F upgrader on the 3-cabins. I liked this seat just as much as the GF seat and appreciated that there is actually more privacy than the GF seat. It didn't feel any more cramped than the GF seat (and IIRC has basically the same dimensions).
Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:22 pm

It's probably going to take bears on every Polaris flight to lure non-UA loyalists to try the brand.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oopl
The ghost of Smisek still haunts UA.
What does that have to do with Smisek???

I flew the first Polaris EWR-SFO. I true step ahead.

I want to have my cake and eat it too. I like the privacy. I miss the open feel of a wide body.

I remember my first flight in a 777 in the 1990's. I was in C, and the cabin felt like a huge living room. There was a sense of roominess and ample space that I really liked. No, the seats weren't lie flat. We didn't have AVOD. It was, by today's standards, old school.

The 777-300 cabin is very private, and almost too private. The aisle is very, very narrow. You have to squeeze into the seating space. From the center section of row nine, there was no seeing out the window at all because of the privacy. No sense of when landing would be.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I agree with all of these points. Having flown the new hard product, experienced the soft, and was in the Polaris lounge, I also believe that the new J product is more evolutionary, and quite frankly, a bit too late.

At this point though, I'm not sure if that's a bad thing. We really don't know where J class will go from here. A decade ago it was "lie-flats", but since now everyone is all-aisle access, I don't know what the next step even is. The lounge however, really is different than anything else I've seen domestic. On par or above with some Asian carrier's offerings...
I believe the age of revolutionary J seats is long gone. The top tier of J seats starting coming out a decade ago and have only seen minor tweaks since then. They've hit a mathematical wall. There's only so many seats that can be placed in a certain area. To make a dramatically better seat today means losing density and transitioning to something like the modern-day F suites. Don't see that ever happening with a U.S. carrier.

United was late the party, no question. There's only two things I see that could potentially be revolutionary. The first is the lunges, and the second is a seat that can be adapted to all cabin widths and maintain the same design/expectations. The rest are evolutionary upgrades.

I think this is the reality, and likely why United is so worried about this seat. It is nice compared to what United currently has, but it is mehh compared to the better current seats flown by others. There is simply nothing that makes you go "wow" unless you are a United loyalist, in which case it is a big step up. This will keep more people who are locked into United from leaving, but attracting new traffic? No so much.
There's nothing about DL's seats that make you go wow either, and they have no foreseeable plans to update the so-so, generation-behind products that dominate their fleet in the 767 and A330. I've flown their best product - the 747 - and it has significant drawbacks. It's not even that comfortable. Plus, DL went with cheap, off the shelf details. They couldn't even go with a comfy cloth seat cover, and instead went with cheap leather. There's multiple things I know I will like better about the Polaris seat and experience before I even have a chance to fly it. UA doesn't need to beat the top foreign carriers. They need to beat AA and DL first, and by all accounts this seat and service has that chance.

Meanwhile the competition (delta) is going with nicer seats, and United will be stuck with these seats which are tight for a long while, as their competitive posture gets lapped.
So you've flown Polaris in flight and flown a product that doesn't exist yet?
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by JetAway
It's probably going to take bears on every Polaris flight to lure non-UA loyalists to try the brand.
I still think they're missing a chance for a good marketing gimmick to rotate animals seasonally and/or by route. They would make a lovely take-home present for families, and you could play a collect-em-all game.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by zrs70
What does that have to do with Smisek???
The multiple year research and decision to go with the seat was under Smisek's "leadership."

Also, see:
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oopl
The multiple year research and decision to go with the seat was under Smisek's "leadership."

Also, see: https://twitter.com/hharteveldt/stat...74882426130432
Ah! I thought you were saying the Smisek design the GF seat.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by minnyfly
United was late the party, no question. There's only two things I see that could potentially be revolutionary. The first is the lunges, and the second is a seat that can be adapted to all cabin widths and maintain the same design/expectations. The rest are evolutionary upgrades.
Given how tight these seats are, some lunges will be necessary after a 14 hour flight.

The Zodiac Cirrus III (which is what an earlier poster flew on the brand new CX 359 after getting off the UA 77W) is a better seat, both IMHO, and in the posters opinion as well. The Vantage XL/XL+ (which Delta is putting into its A359s and retrofiting into its 777s) is also a bigger, better seat.

So United is embarking on a "new" seat design that will be around for 7-10 years, and its not as good as what OALs are doing moving forward.

Originally Posted by minnyfly
There's nothing about DL's seats that make you go wow either, and they have no foreseeable plans to update the so-so, generation-behind products that dominate their fleet in the 767 and A330. I've flown their best product - the 747 - and it has significant drawbacks. It's not even that comfortable. Plus, DL went with cheap, off the shelf details. They couldn't even go with a comfy cloth seat cover, and instead went with cheap leather. There's multiple things I know I will like better about the Polaris seat and experience before I even have a chance to fly it. UA doesn't need to beat the top foreign carriers. They need to beat AA and DL first, and by all accounts this seat and service has that chance.

So you've flown Polaris in flight and flown a product that doesn't exist yet?
I would agree that there is nothing about DL's seats that make me go WOW. At this point they are much better fleetwide than United. But not WOW. I don't think they are better than this Polaris seat is, and Polaris is better than what DL has on the 767 (which is tight). However, while these Polaris seats are rolling out on UA, Delta will be rolling out Vantage XL+, which is a nicer seat, and it is going on all of Delta's long distance lift.

July 2017 Delta will get its first A359 (#115) and since it will have the VantageXL+ we can see. That said its a seat I am familiar with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.