Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What happens when dropping status levels – E+ access, upgrade priority & similar Qs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2017, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
In general, status at the time of travel ( or changing awards) is what matters.
-- bag waiver, boarding group, upgrade priority, award fee waivers, ...

Your status at booking does not carry over -- with one significant exception.
If you use your status at booking to get E+ access, but then drop to silver or general member, you will not automatically lose your E+ seats. They will stick until a seating sweep event occurs (such as aircraft change, some schedule changes, ...)

Cleared upgrades would not be affected but waitlists are dynamically based on real-time status

PlusPoints can only be use for segments departing prior to expiration. Partially exception -- trip with connecting segments, segment 1 is before midnight 31 Jan local trip but segment 2 (if a valid connection but not a stop) is after midnight, the PlusPoints can be applied to both segments as a single trip.

Archive thread: What happens when dropping status levels – E+ access, upgrade priority & .. {Archive}
Print Wikipost

What happens when dropping status levels – E+ access, upgrade priority & similar Qs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2021, 9:40 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Generally, benefits are based on status at the time of travel.

In the case of E+ seat selection, it is initially status at time of seat selection BUT if UA does a seating sweep due to aircraft or certain schedule changes, you may lose E+ seats if you are no longer eligible.

Status does not expire until 31 January of next year. (and UA does not do another status extension -- a discussion for Will/should UA do further status extensions/promos?With limited international travel?)
Say Vandelay likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 9:52 am

Thanks, that's helpful to know. It's a LONG flight, so I'd rather make sure they stick. And while less important, the 2 bags would be helpful as there are 5 of us.

Looks like I'll be headed on a mileage run in the next 6 weeks then! I've got a corporate challenge and with their current bonuses, it'd only be ~600PQP more that I'd need, and I have an ETC for $650 that's going to expire in the next few months so may as well put it to good use.

Appreciate the reply!
Old Oct 2, 2021, 9:59 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FoCo Finch
Looks like I'll be headed on a mileage run in the next 6 weeks then! I've got a corporate challenge and with their current bonuses, it'd only be ~600PQP more that I'd need, and I have an ETC for $650 that's going to expire in the next few months so may as well put it to good use. ....
See discussion in 3rd promotion of year is chance to requalify for Premier status, reach higher level or others in the same situation

All ETCs (& FFCs) have been extended to December 31, 2022
Old Mar 21, 2022, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Economy Plus seats: If you loose status after booking, is it still the case that the seats will stick unless there is some type of change (like aircraft change)?

Last edited by jdrtravel; Mar 23, 2022 at 9:46 am
Old Mar 21, 2022, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Economy Plus seats: If you lose status after booking, is it still the case that the seats will stick unless there is some type of change (like aircraft change)?
Not aware of any proactive action on status change but a aircraft change can do it
Old Jul 7, 2022, 8:33 am

Economy Plus Question (Booking as Platinum now but probably won’t be next year)

Currently Premier Platinum but good chance I’ll only make Gold for 2023. At present I get free E+ seating for myself and family of 5 due to Platinum status. Question is, if I book a flight for our family for next year now (with the E+ seats), but then don’t make Platinum for next year, do we still keep the E+ seats since I booked while I was still Platinum? Or will we lose those seats and get reassigned since when the actual flights occur I won’t be Platinum any more? Couldn’t find anything on how this works.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You don't automatically lose the seats, but if there is a seat reshuffle for some reason (e.g., tail swap), you probably would wind up moved out of E+.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by fumje
if there is a seat reshuffle for some reason (e.g., tail swap), you probably would wind up moved out of E+.
As Gold, two people should still be able to stay in E+.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 10:16 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
For nearly everything status at time of travel matters, including bag fees

(exceptions status at booking matters for IN access, advance upgrades depends on status at upgrade, ... things that can happen prior to travel)
Different question kinda related. I'm Gold now (Silver next year) and plan to book a flight for next year. Currently, it allows me to choose E+ at booking for free, will this change next year, provided I don't change seats?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 21, 2022 at 10:30 am Reason: Moved to subject thread
Old Nov 21, 2022, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by VRFast
... I'm Gold now (Silver next year) and plan to book a flight for next year. Currently, it allows me to choose E+ at booking for free, will this change next year, provided I don't change seats?
Initially no but if certain changes occur that cause a seat sweep after 31 Jan 2023, you will be sent back to E- as a Silver. Hard to predict when that might happen but the deeper into 2023 the booking the odds increase.
SPN Lifer, Say Vandelay and VRFast like this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Waitlisted Upgrade with 1k Plus Points - What happens on Feb 1st after Status changes

Hello - I am currently waitlisted on a Prem Eco (A) fare from ZRH to IAD. I am currently a 1K and had used my plus points to upgrade my outbound (in Jan) and waitlist my inbound (from ZRH). Will the request be automatically dropped and I will be SOL or will they still honor my place on the waitlist (even if it is as a Gold)? FWIW, these PP expire on July 31st. Thoughts?
Old Jan 20, 2023, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They should shuffle you down the order, but I have strong doubts they will unless there's a schedule change or the like.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
The same for GS PP supported upgrades?

Do we believe that PP in current GS accounts are coded to clear to PN even after GS status ends (but PP still valid)?
Old Jan 20, 2023, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb1992
The same for GS PP supported upgrades?

Do we believe that PP in current GS accounts are coded to clear to PN even after GS status ends (but PP still valid)?
I will bet as long as you put in the request before status ends, it sticks, barring some resynch for the flight.
seanp7 and jcturnbull like this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 1:38 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
FWIW when I made a MUA request as a gold it did not update when I hit platinum. An agent told me the system still saw the priority as Gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.