Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What happens when dropping status levels – E+ access, upgrade priority & similar Qs

What happens when dropping status levels – E+ access, upgrade priority & similar Qs

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 7, 21, 4:26 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
In general, status at the time of travel ( or changing awards) is what matters.
-- bag waiver, boarding group, upgrade priority, award fee waivers, ...

Your status at booking does not carry over -- with one significant exception.
If you use your status at booking to get E+ access, but then drop to silver or general member, you will not automatically lose your E+ seats. They will stick until a seating sweep event occurs (such as aircraft change, some schedule changes, ...)

Cleared upgrades would not be affected but waitlists are dynamically based on real-time status

previous threads
Does existing status stick to booked reservations, if status actually falls meantime?

Does UA sweep Economy Plus when you lose status? (and similar questions)
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 19, 15, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Losing status -- will me economy plus INTL seats go away if I book a few flights?
Old Jan 19, 15, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver
If you book them before your status expires, then unless something has changed recently, you can book them and they will stick. However, that is assuming nothing changes with your flight or you don't change anything.

Anything changes - you voluntarily change your flight or anything with the flight changes - aircraft type, etc., or possibly even just a schedule/flight number change, then you will likely lose them. The farther out your flight is, the more likely it is that a change may happen.

Of course, UA could, if it decides to and it probably wouldn't even be that difficult, do a sweep systemwide to ensure everyone in E+ is still entitled to it at anytime they like (for example, after Jan. 31 when status downgrades would happen). There haven't been any reports on it that I've seen over the past few years, however, you never know. IIRC, PMUA did this on occasion.
Old Feb 1, 15, 10:29 am

Programs: UA MP / *A Silver
Angry Gold Status expired; can't change E+ seats?!

Hi everyone,

Yesterday marked a sad day for my fiancιe and me: after a few years of enjoying *G, our few cash flights + numerous award flights in 2014 meant that my beloved *G expired yesterday (Jan 31 2015).

Racing against the clock, however, we managed to quickly book an award flight for February (SFO-FRA-LYS-MUC-BUD-ZRH-SFO with UA, LH, and LX) during the precious final hours of my *G status.

Upon booking the flight, I was informed that any changes I made to the flight after *G expiration would still be treated as though I were a *G member, since it's your status at the time of initial booking that determines your status.

Because we were only able to pick middle (E-F) seats in E+ on the 744 for SFO-FRA, I was excited this morning to see that (D-E) had just opened up, and I jumped to make the seat change.

You can imagine my shock when I was informed that I had to pay $167/person to make the change for those E+ seats.

Obviously, I didn't do it; but could someone please explain what's going on here? I was about to call United but I wanted to get some arsenal for my argument from the more experienced flyers here.

Thank you all!

Last edited by crosvs; Feb 1, 15 at 10:38 am
Old Feb 1, 15, 10:38 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Where did you learn of that benefit. I have always thought that your status at time of activity is what is applied. If you were a Silver when making the reservation (with reduced benefits) and a Platinum or 1K when making a change then no fee would occur. Conversely if your Status is downgraded prior to travel or change request, your Booking Status should not apply when making changes. I may be wrong, however this is my experience.. Safe Travels..
Old Feb 1, 15, 10:40 am

I learned about it while on the phone with the United representative: I specifically asked, "What happens if we end up modifying our itinerary after my Gold Status expires?" She said, to paraphrase, "That doesn't matter: your status for a flight is determined based upon your status when you book the flight. Because you booked this flight while you were a Gold member, then you will remain Gold for this flight."

I clarified further by asking does this mean that we will be recognized and treated as Gold (premium baggage handling, security lines, etc) when we actually fly in February, and she said "yes."
Old Feb 1, 15, 10:42 am

The online system isn't smart enough to understand that you used to be Gold. It simply sees that you're not Gold now, and it won't let you pick a seat. Just call the phone number, and the agent will give you the seat you want.
Old Feb 1, 15, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
I think the agent may have misnformed you, but I hope I am wrong.

Call and see if you can change the seat.
Old Feb 1, 15, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by flyingnosh View Post
The online system isn't smart enough to understand that you used to be Gold. It simply sees that you're not Gold now, and it won't let you pick a seat. Just call the phone number, and the agent will give you the seat you want.
Thank you; that's what I figured. But now I discovered more bad news: because I'm no longer Gold, of course premiere line is no longer available, and it's a 50(!) minute wait to get to a representative.

*sigh* I'm over it.

You know, I always appreciated Gold Status while I had it, but I don't think you really fully appreciate it until it's gone.

Question: I had received an email offer to upgrade to Silver Status for $500(?) several weeks ago, but declined it as I feel Silver Status isn't really worth it:

First, I get most of its perks with the United MileagePlus credit card;

Second, Star Alliance Silver doesn't do anything;

And third, it no longer grants you E+ seats at purchase time, only during check-in.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 1, 15, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I think, if you missed the *G perks as much as one seems to - that you should have flown to get back to at least Silver - as even 24 hours out, you'd have saved $160+ each. (I agree $500 for renewing is high).

I also think that there is nowhere in the UA website or the normal Agent spiel that denotes that status at time of booking carries through. Nowhere.
Old Feb 1, 15, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
The agent was definitely wrong. I think you should be thankful the system didn't (already) take away the E+ seats you already had. If a sweep happens, it probably will.
Old Feb 1, 15, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately you got bit by a misinformed agent. You can book E+ while you have the status but as soon as that status goes away you are no longer entitled to free E+. The E+ seats have been known to stick but any change, by you or UA, would result in you being swept out of the E+ seats. It is status at time of travel or time of changes made that counts. If you want E+ now you will have to pay for it or hope the E+ seats you don't really want stick and try and swap seats on the plane (good luck with that as you have middles). Don't think it would work with a check in agent, kiosk, or gate agent. They will all try and charge you. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Old Feb 1, 15, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by crosvs View Post
Thank you; that's what I figured. But now I discovered more bad news: because I'm no longer Gold, of course premiere line is no longer available, and it's a 50(!) minute wait to get to a representative.
You may have missed it but there's snow storms hitting two major UA hubs today and tomorrow. Quite a few people with more urgent rebooking issues than your award ticket.
Old Feb 1, 15, 11:59 am

Programs: UA Gold/1MM
This morning I dropped from 1K to Silver and I checked in to my flights tomorrow where I was confirmed in E+. My status on the UA website is now Silver however my BP says 1K and has me in Boarding Group 1. I am also on the top of the upgrade list. I guess one last 1K comfort and the return flight on friday will have updated status.
Old Feb 1, 15, 12:14 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
tashi I would be interested to hear if your 1K status sticks all the way through Friday. I would also be interested to hear back from you if you remain at the top of the upgrade standby list for your Monday flight. It is possible that when you checked in, the computer recognized you as a Silver and you were the highest ranked Silver to check in, and no Golds or above had yet checked in.

It is also possible that the UA computer system is not yet finished updating all the status changes on Feb 1.

Last edited by mkr; Feb 1, 15 at 1:41 pm
Old Feb 1, 15, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mkr View Post
...It is also possible that the UA computer system is not yet finished updating all the status changes on Feb 1.
System certainly was capable of making expiring RPUs disappear immediately...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: