Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What happens when dropping status levels – E+ access, upgrade priority & similar Qs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2017, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
In general, status at the time of travel ( or changing awards) is what matters.
-- bag waiver, boarding group, upgrade priority, award fee waivers, ...

Your status at booking does not carry over -- with one significant exception.
If you use your status at booking to get E+ access, but then drop to silver or general member, you will not automatically lose your E+ seats. They will stick until a seating sweep event occurs (such as aircraft change, some schedule changes, ...)

Cleared upgrades would not be affected but waitlists are dynamically based on real-time status

PlusPoints can only be use for segments departing prior to expiration. Partially exception -- trip with connecting segments, segment 1 is before midnight 31 Jan local trip but segment 2 (if a valid connection but not a stop) is after midnight, the PlusPoints can be applied to both segments as a single trip.

Archive thread: What happens when dropping status levels – E+ access, upgrade priority & .. {Archive}
Print Wikipost

What happens when dropping status levels – E+ access, upgrade priority & similar Qs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2024, 1:52 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Booked Econ Plus, status gone, now...

So I booked last year when I had status, and now that the status is gone, I cannot change my seat (forward/back/side-to-side) without a fee.
I guess the fare class of the current seat doesn't "stick" to the reservation?
This seems odd in 2024.

I hope to god there won't be an IRROP.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lindros2
...I guess the fare class of the current seat doesn't "stick" to the reservation?...
The fare class hasn't changed, but your status has. If you don't have status, you can't select an E+ seat w/o a fee showing up. If you selected E+ seats free when you had status, those specific seat(s) should "stick" unless there's a a/c substitution - then all bets are off. Don't complain about not being able to change E+ seats. Be grateful you still have them - if UA was really mean, they could have sent you backward in the plane the moment status lapsed
Old Feb 4, 2024, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
This is not Delta. E+ is not a different fare class.
SPN Lifer, iapetus and leftysauce like this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 11:21 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The fare class hasn't changed, but your status has. If you don't have status, you can't select an E+ seat w/o a fee showing up. If you selected E+ seats free when you had status, those specific seat(s) should "stick" unless there's a a/c substitution - then all bets are off. Don't complain about not being able to change E+ seats. Be grateful you still have them - if UA was really mean, they could have sent you backward in the plane the moment status lapsed
and I could also cancel my ticket.
I've flown nearly a million miles on CO/UA in my life.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 1:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
and I could also cancel my ticket. ...
This occurs because the rules state it is status at flight time (and booking) that matters.
I've flown nearly a million miles on CO/UA in my life.
Once you get MMer status, this will not longer be an issue.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This occurs because the rules state it is status at flight time (and booking) that matters.
Once you get MMer status, this will not longer be an issue.
There are many "what if's"
This is absolutely unnecessary.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
This seems odd in 2024.
Would this work any differently on other airlines? (My question is sincere; I really don't know.)
Old Feb 5, 2024, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
I fell from Gold to Silver but was still able to reserve E+ seats when I booked tickets (in Jan of this year). Hopefully they stick. In 20C for all the flights so far.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 12:13 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
I fell from Gold to Silver but was still able to reserve E+ seats when I booked tickets (in Jan of this year). Hopefully they stick. In 20C for all the flights so far.
While you were able to book E+ seats while a Gold, as a Silver, there are circumstances where UA y=will do what is commonly called a "seating sweep" and you can lose your E+ seats. The farther out the trip, the higher the chance this may happen.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 8:23 am

Economy plus seating after status match trial fails

Hi
During a status match I will have access to economy plus seating. What will happen if I do not complete a challenge?
Will I loose the seats or will they remain, and it is only if there is equipment change or I change the flights, I will loose them?

Thanks,
HJ
Old Apr 23, 2024, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by H.J.Simpson
Hi
During a status match I will have access to economy plus seating. What will happen if I do not complete a challenge?
Will I loose the seats or will they remain, and it is only if there is equipment change or I change the flights, I will loose them?

Thanks,
HJ
Nothing will likely happen unless you try and switch seats or there is a change in equipment, other than like-for-like.
Say Vandelay likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 8:37 am

Thanks very much.
ContinentalFan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.