Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What happens when dropping status levels – E+ access, upgrade priority & similar Qs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2017, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
In general, status at the time of travel ( or changing awards) is what matters.
-- bag waiver, boarding group, upgrade priority, award fee waivers, ...

Your status at booking does not carry over -- with one significant exception.
If you use your status at booking to get E+ access, but then drop to silver or general member, you will not automatically lose your E+ seats. They will stick until a seating sweep event occurs (such as aircraft change, some schedule changes, ...)

Cleared upgrades would not be affected but waitlists are dynamically based on real-time status

PlusPoints can only be use for segments departing prior to expiration. Partially exception -- trip with connecting segments, segment 1 is before midnight 31 Jan local trip but segment 2 (if a valid connection but not a stop) is after midnight, the PlusPoints can be applied to both segments as a single trip.

Archive thread: What happens when dropping status levels – E+ access, upgrade priority & .. {Archive}
Print Wikipost

What happens when dropping status levels – E+ access, upgrade priority & similar Qs

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2023, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
If you are waitlisted for upgrade as 1K before status expires on Jan. 31 for a flight in February, do you still keep the 1K priority on the upgrade waitlist?
Old Dec 21, 2023, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kb1992
If you are waitlisted for upgrade as 1K before status expires on Jan. 31 for a flight in February, do you still keep the 1K priority on the upgrade waitlist?
No. Upgrade list reflects current status. Works the other way, too - someone moving from Gold to Plat will see a waitlisted request move up in priority.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 10:14 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
Feb 1st is often fine w/ +Ps. I have had 2/1 flights that took 1/31 expiring +Ps before ... seems to be only for 2/1 though and YMMV.
Believe "PlusPoints can only be use for segments departing prior to expiration. Partially exception -- trip with connecting segments, segment 1 is before midnight 31 Jan local trip but segment 2 (if a valid connection but not a stop) is after midnight, the PlusPoints can be applied to both segments as a single trip."

Other key points from the annual thread on this issue
Originally Posted by wiki
In general, status at the time of travel ( or changing awards) is what matters.
-- bag waiver, boarding group, upgrade priority, award fee waivers, ...

Your status at booking does not carry over -- with one significant exception.
If you use your status at booking to get E+ access, but then drop to silver or general member, you will not automatically lose your E+ seats. They will stick until a seating sweep event occurs (such as aircraft change, some schedule changes, ...)

Cleared upgrades would not be affected but waitlists are dynamically based on real-time status
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 21, 2023 at 10:21 am
Old Dec 21, 2023, 11:01 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by whlinder
How do status downgrades work with E+ seating? I.E booking E+ when eligible vs flying when not eligible (or only able to grab 48 hours out as Silver).
FYI, Silver can only book E+ seats at no charge at check-in, i.e., 24 hours before scheduled departure.
whlinder and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I have a couple of B fares with confirmed instant upgrades to PN for flights well after my 1K status will expire. I'm assuming that those upgrades will stick as long as I don't make any changes or otherwise touch the itinerary?
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dkc192
I have a couple of B fares with confirmed instant upgrades to PN for flights well after my 1K status will expire. I'm assuming that those upgrades will stick as long as I don't make any changes or otherwise touch the itinerary?
Yes - those are already yours. Status only affects waitlist position or fare-class upgrade eligibility, Status change does not affect your current ticketed fare class.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:29 am

Need to book a trip now for mid-March 2024. Am currently a Gold through the end of Jan, so entitled to E+ seats at booking. Don't know exactly what I will do about 2024 MP status - I qualified for Silver in 2023 but need to see what kind of buy-up offer I get before finalizing my 2024 status.

Question: If I do not choose to upgrade to Gold, will I be able to keep E+ seats booked & paid for before 31 Jan 2024?

Sorry if this has been covered - searched & couldn't find anything.

TIA for responding.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SC54HI
Question: If I do not choose to upgrade to Gold, will I be able to keep E+ seats booked & paid for before 31 Jan 2024?
To book E+ for free you need to have status at booking, but to have free E+ status at travel you need to have Silver status. However if you drop to Silver before checkin there is a chance you may lose your E+ seat assignment. This can occur if change causes UA to re-validate seating. On FT we call this a seating sweep. The greater the time between lost of Gold status and travel time increases the risk of this happening, These sweeps tend to happen months out or very close to travel. Odds are you will be OK but there is a chance you will lose the seat assignment.

Originally Posted by wiki
SPN Lifer, lsquare and SC54HI like this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
To book E+ for free you need to have status at booking, but to have free E+ status at travel you need to have Silver status. However if you drop to Silver before checkin there is a chance you may lose your E+ seat assignment. This can occur if change causes UA to re-validate seating. On FT we call this a seating sweep. The greater the time between lost of Gold status and travel time increases the risk of this happening, These sweeps tend to happen months out or very close to travel. Odds are you will be OK but there is a chance you will lose the seat assignment.
Many thanks for the quick & informative answer.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SC54HI
...Question: If I do not choose to upgrade to Gold, will I be able to keep E+ seats booked & paid for before 31 Jan 2024?...
To be clear, you're not paying for E+ seats, just transportation in the economy cabin. Hopefully the seat selection sticks, though...
lsquare and SC54HI like this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 5:00 pm

Programs: Continental
Upgraded based on expired status

Booked a ticket while I was still 1K for 2/3.
Checked in today, my BP says 1K.
Actually a MM Gold now after Feb1st.
Do I need to be concerned about a downgrade?
Old Feb 2, 2024, 5:03 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Known issue. It takes your status at time of booking for the record - bizarre but one UA system does not talk to another.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 5:11 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Known issue. It takes your status at time of booking for the record - bizarre but one UA system does not talk to another.
Actually its just the first few days after the downgrade occurs. Some sort of sweep eventually happens and the reservations will reflect your new status even then it doesn't affect already checked in segments, so check in early.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by hockey7711
Upgraded based on expired status
Booked a ticket while I was still 1K for 2/3.
Checked in today, my BP says 1K.
Actually a MM Gold now after Feb1st.
Do I need to be concerned about a downgrade?
Once upgraded, it will stick.
SPN Lifer and Say Vandelay like this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 11:54 am

How long will it need for the status downgrades to properly process?

I went from 1K to Silver on Feb 1st, but to my surprise, all the boarding passes until today are still showing the 1K status, and I even got the free snack. Maybe the system already processed the 1K at the beginning of 1K's 96h upgrade window?

Last edited by delpiero223; Feb 4, 2024 at 12:11 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.