Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What happens when dropping status levels – E+ access, upgrade priority & similar Qs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2017, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
In general, status at the time of travel ( or changing awards) is what matters.
-- bag waiver, boarding group, upgrade priority, award fee waivers, ...

Your status at booking does not carry over -- with one significant exception.
If you use your status at booking to get E+ access, but then drop to silver or general member, you will not automatically lose your E+ seats. They will stick until a seating sweep event occurs (such as aircraft change, some schedule changes, ...)

Cleared upgrades would not be affected but waitlists are dynamically based on real-time status

PlusPoints can only be use for segments departing prior to expiration. Partially exception -- trip with connecting segments, segment 1 is before midnight 31 Jan local trip but segment 2 (if a valid connection but not a stop) is after midnight, the PlusPoints can be applied to both segments as a single trip.

Archive thread: What happens when dropping status levels – E+ access, upgrade priority & .. {Archive}
Print Wikipost

What happens when dropping status levels – E+ access, upgrade priority & similar Qs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2023, 9:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Aeroplan 25k, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Status does need to be active the date of entry -- otherwise we could get up to 11 extra months of lounge access perks by making all the bookings on January 31 just before status level drops!
SPN Lifer and nexus7556 like this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 10:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bd522881
Does the elite status need to be valid on the date of entry into the lounge, or just valid on the date of booking the ticket.
For lounge access, the boarding pass and/or frequent flyer card needs to show the Star Gold status as being still valid on the date of entry to the lounge.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 10:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by bd522881
I've noticed that bag fees are waived if status exists at time of booking,
Unless something changed recently, this is not valid either. If you do not have the status on the date of travel, you will be charged for bags..
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Bag fees are definitely not waived based on status at ticketing. Lounge access, seating benefits (e.g. trying to change seats) and luggage are all based on current status during check-in. As shown on every e-ticket receipt from United:

Baggage check-in must occur with United or United Express, and you must have valid MileagePlus Premier® 1K® membership at time of check-in to qualify for waiver of service charges for up to three checked bags (within specified size and weight limits).

You can replace 1K with whatever status above.

-RM
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
What happens when one's status downgrades on February 1, 2024?

My understanding is that January 31st of each year is the last day of the status earned from the previous calendar year. The new status year will start on February 1st. So if someone is 1K that is scheduled to be downgraded to Gold, then what happens if the individual is returning on February 1st? I'm assuming the individual will be returning as a Gold rather than a 1K?

If the PlusPoints are expiring on January 31st, 2024, is it possible to apply it to a trip where the departure is before February 1st and the return is on February 1st?
Old Dec 21, 2023, 3:08 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by lsquare
My understanding is that January 31st of each year is the last day of the status earned from the previous calendar year. The new status year will start on February 1st. So if someone is 1K that is scheduled to be downgraded to Gold, then what happens if the individual is returning on February 1st? I'm assuming the individual will be returning as a Gold rather than a 1K?

If the PlusPoints are expiring on January 31st, 2024, is it possible to apply it to a trip where the departure is before February 1st and the return is on February 1st?
Yes. The former 1K will be Premier Gold on Feb 1.
No. The PlusPoints cannot be used on Feb 1 because they expire on Jan. 31.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Feb 1st is often fine w/ +Ps. I have had 2/1 flights that took 1/31 expiring +Ps before ... seems to be only for 2/1 though and YMMV.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Yes. The former 1K will be Premier Gold on Feb 1.
No. The PlusPoints cannot be used on Feb 1 because they expire on Jan. 31.
Originally Posted by cfischer
Feb 1st is often fine w/ +Ps. I have had 2/1 flights that took 1/31 expiring +Ps before ... seems to be only for 2/1 though and YMMV.
I thought PP could be confirmed over the phone if the seat is available? If true, and somehow the 1K phone rep can apply the PP, then one doesn't have to worry about PP expiring on January 31st, right?
Old Dec 21, 2023, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lsquare
I thought PP could be confirmed over the phone if the seat is available? If true, and somehow the 1K phone rep can apply the PP, then one doesn't have to worry about PP expiring on January 31st, right?
Two completely different things. One is the expiry of +Ps, the other one is 'how to confirm something that has become available'.

+Ps need to be valid on the day of travel in order to apply them either way. If PZ becomes available and a waitlisted UG does not clear, the easiest thing is to remove the request online and re-apply it - at which point it will clear right away. Talking to an agent at best IME complicates things. Now, if this is an UG where one of the segments has already cleared then indeed the only way to clear it is by calling.

The expiry thing cannot be circumvented by calling an agent. 2/1 is an edge case where in my experience the system still takes 1/31 points - YMMV. An agent will likely strictly apply the rules - my guess. So in that instance I would try and do it online. If it allows you to do it ... you are all set.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 6:51 am

How do status downgrades work with E+ seating? I.E booking E+ when eligible vs flying when not eligible (or only able to grab 48 hours out as Silver).
Old Dec 21, 2023, 7:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by whlinder
How do status downgrades work with E+ seating? I.E booking E+ when eligible vs flying when not eligible (or only able to grab 48 hours out as Silver).
Typically you will retain your E+ seats. However, if there's an equipment change that results in a seat map shift then you may not retain those seats (or eligibility to reclaim). Basically UA doesn't proactively boot you out of your selected E+ seats, but if something else causes a seating shift don't expect to hold them.
whlinder, jsloan, Boraxo and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 7:49 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by drewguy
Typically you will retain your E+ seats. However, if there's an equipment change that results in a seat map shift then you may not retain those seats (or eligibility to reclaim). Basically UA doesn't proactively boot you out of your selected E+ seats, but if something else causes a seating shift don't expect to hold them.
Do you get booted if there is any type of equipment change or only if your current seat doesn't exist on the new seat map? If the latter, is it smart to select a seat that all the planes on that route are likely to have (e.g., 7F on narrow body)?
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
Do you get booted if there is any type of equipment change or only if your current seat doesn't exist on the new seat map? If the latter, is it smart to select a seat that all the planes on that route are likely to have (e.g., 7F on narrow body)?
No, you won't always automatically be assigned a different seat. It can happen though. I have had both happen to me- retain my seat and sometimes assigned another. Yes, selecting a seat which would be common across type sub fleets would be a potential course of action- e.g. 7F when a 738 may swap to a 739, but if the swap was to a 320 then it may not. As a traveler you have no way to accurately predict if or when a swap would occur. It just happens, though closer in to departure you can be reasonably assured a type will stick. Further out, all bets are off. Babysitting reservations is key.
Say Vandelay and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 8:29 am

If I'm 1000 PQP away from retaining Silver and don't have any travel left in 2023, will travel Jan 2024 count towards 2023 earnings or does it reset to 0 Jan 1?
Old Dec 21, 2023, 8:51 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by zeus2120
If I'm 1000 PQP away from retaining Silver and don't have any travel left in 2023, will travel Jan 2024 count towards 2023 earnings or does it reset to 0 Jan 1?
When the clock strikes at New Year, all PQF and PQP will reset to zero. Your previous year status lasts for additional 31 days, however!
lsquare and zeus2120 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.