Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
Quick question. Is Colombia (BOG specifically) ever considered Central America for the purpose of an award redemption? I have a Central America-Southern South America routing that is only charging 20k miles one way, and if I read the award chart right, the only way it should be that price is if it's direct or via Central American only. The last leg is on Avianca through BOG. Thoughts?

Chris
No, BOG is definitely Northern South America. The wording that you mention exists on the interactive chart but not on the PDF chart, so maybe they haven't gotten around to doing it? Alternatively, if your Avianca flight has a single flight number from a Central American airport through BOG to your destination, that's "direct" and therefore would fit under the interactive chart also.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by jsloan
No, BOG is definitely Northern South America. The wording that you mention exists on the interactive chart but not on the PDF chart, so maybe they haven't gotten around to doing it? Alternatively, if your Avianca flight has a single flight number from a Central American airport through BOG to your destination, that's "direct" and therefore would fit under the interactive chart also.
Nope. It's an XXX-PTY-BOG-YYY flight with PTY-BOG on CM. Guess I'll count my lucky stars.

EDIT: Looking at the .pdf, it apparently only charges the 25K mile if it transits the USA based on the United/Copa chart... but when you look at the Partner Chart, definitely just 20K. Oh well, good value for my flight.

Chris

Last edited by JayhawkCO; Apr 25, 2018 at 9:43 pm
Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
First time looking at award flights since the changes. If I find a flight on NH or AC tools, but its not showing up on UA, I'm SOL, unless I get a one in a million chance of getting an agent who I can convince to use the old system?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 3:44 pm

I was able to book a flight from bkk - ord that didn't show on UA website. It didn't show BKK - TPE - VIE - ORD but it did show TPE-VIE-ORD. So I booked TPE-VIE-ORD, then called in to add BKK-TPE. I was prepared to have a boxing match with UA agent but surprisingly she was able to add that flight and told me instead of 80k Miles it would be 90K miles! And it took less than 20 minutes for the whole process.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 4:51 pm

Booked LAX > BEY via LH. Routing through FRA.

Looks like I have seats on the first leg but not second leg, and points have not been ticketed not flights confirmed.

It's been 5 days or so. UA claims their system is not communicating property with LH.

Anyone have this issue last this long then resolve itself, or should I get ready for bad news?

Thanks
Old Apr 28, 2018, 5:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nikehair
It's been 5 days or so. UA claims their system is not communicating property with LH.
If it didn't ticket within 48 hours, there is definitely a problem. Does the availability still show online?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
If it didn't ticket within 48 hours, there is definitely a problem. Does the availability still show online?
Not for the first leg, but I do see it available for FRA > BEY. Not going to hold my breath at this point.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
Does SQ release J award inventory to partners these days? Looking out as far as I can see, I don't see anything but Y award space for SQ.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UTex09
Does SQ release J award inventory to partners these days? Looking out as far as I can see, I don't see anything but Y award space for SQ.
On short-haul flights, yes. On long-haul flights, no — and they haven’t for years. (It’s actually slightly more nuanced and depends upon the specific type of plane assigned to the route. The planes with the newer cabins don’t allow J or F availability except when SQ makes a mistake).
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
Originally Posted by jsloan

On short-haul flights, yes. On long-haul flights, no — and they haven’t for years. (It’s actually slightly more nuanced and depends upon the specific type of plane assigned to the route. The planes with the newer cabins don’t allow J or F availability except when SQ makes a mistake).
Thanks. For some reason I thought the restriction was only on F space.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by nikehair
Not for the first leg, but I do see it available for FRA > BEY. Not going to hold my breath at this point.
Called UA again and spoke with a helpful agent who informed me that the MP account was not authorized to make the initial transaction.

Not sure why this was the case as this is not the first time I've booked an award flight.

I answered security questions, and I'm now confirmed with seats on both flights, along with e-tickets.

I also have the option to change seats via LH's website.
Old May 1, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I think this will be my final update on my plight to switch an itinerary booked in business class over to first class. The current ticket had RGN-BKK-CDG-FRA-IAD-CVG on it both in business class. Thai First Class on BKK-CDG opened up on a Saturday night in Tokyo, so I called to have it be changed yet I couldn't change the FRA-IAD flight to Lufthansa First Class since it wasn't showing on United's site. They were able to do just that for the mileage difference and no change fee.

Fast forward to yesterday night in Hong Kong, and I saw Lufthansa First Class on United's site. I called to see if they could change it over, but obviously I got the answer that they couldn't change it. I tried again just now and they were able to confirm and re-issue the ticket to me even though there wasn't another seat open for BKK-CDG in First Class and they moved me to a later CDG-FRA flight since the original one was causing havoc with the actual issuance. I can now access it on LH's site and pick my seats and I wasn't charged the change fee again.

So at this point, YMMV, but I think having Premier Status also helps immensely with all of the piece-meal changing I was doing.
Old May 2, 2018, 9:10 am

Mileageplus booking on LO

Hello! Sorry in advance if I am in the wrong thread. A few days ago, I tried to book LO18 EWR>RZE in J on 7/29/18. Shows avail on Mileageplus. Verified award seat exists through ExpertFlyer and ANA. I went ahead and reserved through Mileageplus, transaction processed, and I received PNR from UA & LO. E-mail followed stating that award not confirmed, 24 hours is needed for confirmation from LO and for ticket issuance. Problem is, 24 hours passed and never finalized so I called UA only to be told by an agent that LO will not confirm and they will not give a reason. Today, confirmed availability through all three channels, again booked it through Mileageplus, same message. Any ideas on how to proceed?
Old May 2, 2018, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by lilcheese
Hello! Sorry in advance if I am in the wrong thread. A few days ago, I tried to book LO18 EWR>RZE in J on 7/29/18. Shows avail on Mileageplus. Verified award seat exists through ExpertFlyer and ANA. I went ahead and reserved through Mileageplus, transaction processed, and I received PNR from UA & LO. E-mail followed stating that award not confirmed, 24 hours is needed for confirmation from LO and for ticket issuance. Problem is, 24 hours passed and never finalized so I called UA only to be told by an agent that LO will not confirm and they will not give a reason. Today, confirmed availability through all three channels, again booked it through Mileageplus, same message. Any ideas on how to proceed?
This happened to me, and I was only able to get ticketed almost 6 days later. I had to authorize my account on the phone with an agent as well by answering security questions. Don't give up.
Old May 4, 2018, 8:13 am

Anyone ever see phantom availability for LOT?

Booked a ticket 12 hours ago, still not ticketed. Called up UA, said that LOT can't confirm. Should I give it a few days? Still showing as bookable on UA.com

edit: noticed the post above

Last edited by Jesperss; May 4, 2018 at 8:22 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.