Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: getagb
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2016]
Thread on 2017 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2017 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.
Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Polaris First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade under T-72 hours provided 2 seats remain for sale afterwards and they are at the top of the waitlist
  • GS can create saver Polaris First (O) space at T-72 hours if they are already booked in saver business (IN), provided one seat remains for sale after
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available. UPDATE: as of 7/21/17 must have >2 for sale within 72hrs of flight
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available, as long as J/F>1. Companion needs to be W or greater intl.
  • (Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare.)
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JDT1955
Quick question. My wife and I have frequently taken advantage of the perk that if I buy C internationally and she buys Y, we can upgrade her with a GPU at booking. Does the same apply domestically, e.g., I buy F to Hawaii and upgrade her at booking from Y with an RPU? Would simplify our lives considerably...
I think you could actually buy her a W class if you are buying a Business/First class fare on the same flights, and use a GPU at booking to upgrade.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: UA GS & Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JDT1955
Quick question. My wife and I have frequently taken advantage of the perk that if I buy C internationally and she buys Y, we can upgrade her with a GPU at booking. Does the same apply domestically, e.g., I buy F to Hawaii and upgrade her at booking from Y with an RPU? Would simplify our lives considerably...
Yes, this works. I've done this to Hawaii with an RPU and have also had luck pushing a lower 48 complimentary companion CPU through inside the 5 day window on a new booking when I've booked myself into F.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by philf
I just thought I’d note that I was through CDG last Sunday and GS line / desk is back there too.
Yes! Arm pump!

When I checked in at PVG I was on the EWR flight, the first to leave of the bunch, and it was not crowded so I did not notice if the GS emblem had been put back up. I will be able to check again in another two weeks, hopefully will remember to check carefully this time.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA GS 2mm
PS Flight upgrades

Has anybody had luck with upgrading the PS flights recently as a GS. In the last month I've flow 1x RT SFO-BOS and 2x RT SFO-EWR and applied GPUs to every flight... I've had zero clear. Bad luck? Are they changing inventory? Would love some input.

I few on Monday and was #7 on the upgrade list....

Last edited by kj5hp; Sep 28, 2017 at 7:18 pm Reason: spelling
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Is there a hidden PN class or inventory? The fact that it cleared immediately tells me there's at least an inventory management program running in the background (and constantly, not just once an hour type of thing) that will clear PN space. I wish we knew how this worked or when it would clear.
Many reports of GS instruments clearing rapidly when flights are PN0. No real way to know, however, if there is an algorithm which will proactively clear them even without PN space.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by uanj
Yes! Arm pump!

When I checked in at PVG I was on the EWR flight, the first to leave of the bunch, and it was not crowded so I did not notice if the GS emblem had been put back up. I will be able to check again in another two weeks, hopefully will remember to check carefully this time.
Departed PVG last Thursday and they had the GS check in desk designated.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by findark
Many reports of GS instruments clearing rapidly when flights are PN0. No real way to know, however, if there is an algorithm which will proactively clear them even without PN space.
Yeah, but how else can you clear when the GPU/RPU was *just* applied and you haven't gotten off the phone with the agent who applied them? There has to be something automated in the background.

But it does mean PN is being hidden. It also means there's an algorithm that runs whenever an RPU/GPU request is made to see if this hidden bucket is greater than 0.

The reasons I believe it's a hidden bucket:
1. It clears immediately upon RPU/GPU application, even before you're off the phone with the agent who processed the instrument because he/she is able to book you seats in the upgraded cabin;
2. It doesn't happen on all flights. I currently have a flight waitlisted that is J9 Z0 P0 PN0 and I've been waitlisted for over two months. The flight I just booked and cleared was F8 P4 PN0 and went to F6 P4 PN0. P didn't even change when the two seats cleared.

The only reason I can think UA actually hides the PN bucket for RPU/GPU for GS is so that 1Ks don't pull the inventory on a YBM fare immediate upgrade. They wouldn't have access to the hidden PN bucket. Only someone applying an instrument would.

It is frustrating to spend a lot of time searching for flights that have PN so you can book and clear immediately when not all flights show PN but an upgrade would clear anyway. I wish UA would make it fully transparent. Or show their "PNN" class.

Thanks,
RM
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I’m waitlisted on an award flight that I applied GPUs (4) to next summer. Rome to ORD cleared with PN inventory. ORD to SNA still waitlisted. I need another 26 segments to get another 2 GPUs to apply to our outbound flight to BCN. PN0 on that flight, so not in any rush.

I’ve never had any hidden inventory clear shortly after booking
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RobOnLI

But it does mean PN is being hidden. It also means there's an algorithm that runs whenever an RPU/GPU request is made to see if this hidden bucket is greater than 0.

The only reason I can think UA actually hides the PN bucket for RPU/GPU for GS is so that 1Ks don't pull the inventory on a YBM fare immediate upgrade. They wouldn't have access to the hidden PN bucket. Only someone applying an instrument would.
It's all controlled by Inventory Management algorithms - I've long used P fare bucket availability as a proxy for PN likelihood of clearing. In every single case when P has been available my instrument upgrade has cleared into PN within 7 days, and on Domestic itineraries it is often instant as you describe. I have not yet missed an upgrade when P available at booking.

I don't think there is a "hidden PN bucket" as such ... in a prior discussion during a UA Willis Tower tour event, they explained to me it effectively is a product of adding to the waitlist, the waitlist system hitting inventory management, checking who else is on the waitlist, deciding based on rules, and then converting inventory from F/J to PN and clearing ... but who knows?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by greenpau
It's all controlled by Inventory Management algorithms - I've long used P fare bucket availability as a proxy for PN likelihood of clearing. In every single case when P has been available my instrument upgrade has cleared into PN within 7 days, and on Domestic itineraries it is often instant as you describe. I have not yet missed an upgrade when P available at booking.

I don't think there is a "hidden PN bucket" as such ... in a prior discussion during a UA Willis Tower tour event, they explained to me it effectively is a product of adding to the waitlist, the waitlist system hitting inventory management, checking who else is on the waitlist, deciding based on rules, and then converting inventory from F/J to PN and clearing ... but who knows?
This explanation makes sense and is logical with one slight change. that the "hitting IM" is actually automated and the "deciding based on rules" is an algorithm, not a human. I also wonder if there is more in the algorithm than just "GS is on waitlist." such as, oh it's a more profitable GS, let's open up PN immediately versus a less profitable GS lets keep it on the waitlist.

That's the only way i can think of that logically makes sense given the cases of "instant" clearing.

I just waitlisted a flight for 2 today with P9 PN0 and is international. I will wait 7 days per your rule to see if it clears. if not, I will split the res and cross my fingers
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
This explanation makes sense and is logical with one slight change. that the "hitting IM" is actually automated and the "deciding based on rules" is an algorithm, not a human. I also wonder if there is more in the algorithm than just "GS is on waitlist." such as, oh it's a more profitable GS, let's open up PN immediately versus a less profitable GS lets keep it on the waitlist.

That's the only way i can think of that logically makes sense given the cases of "instant" clearing.

I just waitlisted a flight for 2 today with P9 PN0 and is international. I will wait 7 days per your rule to see if it clears. if not, I will split the res and cross my fingers
Sorry ... I wasn't clear ... we are saying same thing - I think there is limited human intervention in this cycle - I was referring to system to system interactions ... Inventory Management a process being supported by a system overseen by the Revenue Management (RM). RM Analysts are assigned individual flights to monitor/manage to targets, however, so there is definitely an element of manual intervention/approval but as the algorithms and data sets become more refined I imagine that is less and less so.

Interested to see what happens in your case ... good luck!
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

RM Analysts are assigned individual flights to monitor/manage to targets, however, so there is definitely an element of manual intervention/approval
So, best time to call during CST business hours ?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by cesco.g
So, best time to call during CST business hours ?
More than likely! I have this feeling that a waitlist on a busy flight seems to clear Friday morning (treat for weekend!) or a Monday morning (eh, it's Monday), but probably imaginary
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:59 am

Sorry ... I wasn't clear ... we are saying same thing - I think there is limited human intervention in this cycle - I was referring to system to system interactions ... Inventory Management a process being supported by a system overseen by the Revenue Management (RM). RM Analysts are assigned individual flights to monitor/manage to targets, however, so there is definitely an element of manual intervention/approval but as the algorithms and data sets become more refined I imagine that is less and less so.

Interested to see what happens in your case ... good luck!
Waitlisted and still waitlisted
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Departed PVG last Thursday and they had the GS check in desk designated.
There were two GS designated desks at PVG last week for check in to ORD. They have also swapped the premier check-in desks with the non-premier. The premier desks are now the ones closer to the security entrance. That means that you now don't have to walk through all the people checking in at non-premier desks.

There was also a GS agent with a gold scarf standing at the entrance to the lines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.