Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: getagb
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2016]
Thread on 2017 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2017 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.
Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Polaris First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade under T-72 hours provided 2 seats remain for sale afterwards and they are at the top of the waitlist
  • GS can create saver Polaris First (O) space at T-72 hours if they are already booked in saver business (IN), provided one seat remains for sale after
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available. UPDATE: as of 7/21/17 must have >2 for sale within 72hrs of flight
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available, as long as J/F>1. Companion needs to be W or greater intl.
  • (Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare.)
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Called to use my RPU to sponsor upgrade for someone else.

I was told that my GS status would be used to determine their priority.

Everything I've read says the priority is based on the status of the traveler. Is this something special for GS only?
Old Oct 7, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by roxie

Everything I've read says the priority is based on the status of the traveler. Is this something special for GS only?
Your RPU will clear into PN while other non-GS upgrades clear into R. That might be the priority the agent was referring to.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by FL390
Your RPU will clear into PN while other non-GS upgrades clear into R. That might be the priority the agent was referring to.
This is ibcorrect. My Mrs. always clears into PN when I use my instruments on her itineraries.

Last edited by jjmoore; Oct 7, 2017 at 7:52 pm
Old Oct 7, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM

This is a little confusing. There are two principles:

1) The status of the flyer DOES determine priority for upgrades

2) Regardless of the passenger status, tickets with GS upgrades have access to fare classes that others don't (PN, ON...)

So as a General Member you may be at the bottom of the PN waitlist, but that whole waitlist is going to clear before the R waitlist.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA MP

Did you use Mileage from your account to buy this person's ticket? If so, it should be true because GS RPU/GPU can only be applied to award tickets purchased by the GS for someone else.
If your ticket was purchased with money, the RPU's priority will be based on the traveler's status level.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K

The upgrade instrument is given the status of the account that it comes from.

Your other point refers to inherited status but doesn't apply to upgrade instruments.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

In some sense, both are true. If you sponsor someone else's upgrade, their own status determines their priority.

There is something special for GS though - a GS instrument is special (regardless of who it tries to upgrade), and has higher priority than non-GS instruments.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 1:38 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
At the same time a coach award ticket to a general member, coming from a GS account doesn’t get E+ seating, it just gets the status of the general member, including no free checked bag (I believe). If the ticket is then upgraded using an RPU the general member gets all the benefits of First Class. It’s a little confusing.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:03 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by findark
In some sense, both are true. If you sponsor someone else's upgrade, their own status determines their priority.

There is something special for GS though - a GS instrument is special (regardless of who it tries to upgrade), and has higher priority than non-GS instruments.
This plus probably best not to use the word "status" when referring to upgrade instruments. Instruments do not have status, just individuals.

Instruments clear into a particular inventory class -- GS instruments clear into PN and non-GS clear into R. (if referring to economy to business upgrades).
Old Oct 8, 2017, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Another datapoint:
GM friend purchased an award ticket (YN) with his own miles for a p.s. flight (no CPUs). I applied one of my (GS) RPUs. It did not clear in advance, so went to airport waitlist. Upon check-in, he was #1 on a long list. None were on the stand-by list, so I assume all others on the WL were revenue passengers. He was upgraded just before the door closed (and the only one upgraded from the airport WL).

Therefore it appears the no-status GM inherited my GS status on the airport upgrade list.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by wxguy
Another datapoint:
GM friend purchased an award ticket (YN) with his own miles for a p.s. flight (no CPUs). I applied one of my (GS) RPUs. It did not clear in advance, so went to airport waitlist. Upon check-in, he was #1 on a long list. None were on the stand-by list, so I assume all others on the WL were revenue passengers. He was upgraded just before the door closed (and the only one upgraded from the airport WL).

Therefore it appears the no-status GM inherited my GS status on the airport upgrade list.
how is that possible? i thought GS instruments can only be used on a mileage ticket if the miles come from the GS account?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
how is that possible? i thought GS instruments can only be used on a mileage ticket if the miles come from the GS account?
This is what I thought as well.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by wxguy
Another datapoint:

I have never ever been able to apply my instrument to someone else's non-GS award ticket (believe me, I have asked on several occasions to see if I could find a loop hole). The ONLY way I have been able to upgrade an award ticket is if the miles were mine or from another GS account.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
Donno. I called, asked, it happened.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ermintrude
The upgrade instrument is given the status of the account that it comes from.

Your other point refers to inherited status but doesn't apply to upgrade instruments.
Upgrade priority is only based on the status of the traveler. The slight quirk is that upgrades supported from a GS account clear into PN vs R.

As a GS, on a 1K instrument, I’d be waitlisted for R at the top of the queue given my status. A 1K on a GS instrument would be waitlisted for PN, but behind GS on a GS supported upgrade.

Back in the day, upgrades would confer status, that’s no longer true

Last edited by boat9781; Oct 8, 2017 at 3:37 pm Reason: Typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.