FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1813129-consolidated-global-services-thread-benefits-questions-2017-a.html)

wxguy Jan 5, 2017 2:25 am

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Welp, I started the 2016 thread a year ago, so I might as well start the 2017 thread. Post away!

iflyuaaa Jan 5, 2017 2:35 am

New to this...woo hoo...I believe GS can use a GPU on an award ticket. Can we use a GPU on a purchased fare <W?

iflyuaaa Jan 5, 2017 2:52 am

Originally Posted by helvetic (Post 27666125)
That said, UA does owe that guy some downgrade compensation. The right thing to do was for UA to downgrade that person, give GS his seat in F, and provide the downgraded pax appropriate and generous compensation.

can a GS request to stay in Y and get the downgrade comp? depending onthe flight, i'd take a $250 voucher and sit in the back.

Daniel-SYD Jan 5, 2017 4:30 am

Originally Posted by unitedhandcuffs (Post 27707640)
I'm a new GS, just got the invite today, so apologize for potentially stupid questions. In the next week I'll be flying SYD to LAX to LAS to EWR to SFO.
(SYD) Anything besides GS check-in desk and pre-boarding i should look out for in SYD? I'm assuming lounge access is just SQ or Air New Zealand the same as if you fly business as 1k.
(LAX) Can i assume that the benz transfer is not possible when landing international and going domestic cause of the need to first go through customs? anything i should look out for in LAX?
I read about the EWR GS check in desk and the SFO arrival lounge (more obviously written about the hubs) so i'll check them out. thanks.

Pretty much the same - there is a GS line at check-in. Look out for Annie and team :)

Daniel-SYD Jan 5, 2017 4:38 am

Just got bumped up to GS for the year and so I'm coming up to speed on what's changed. This, if correct, is a disappointment:
"United Global Services members are welcome to enter whenever traveling in United Polaris."

While I'm going to book Biz (Polaris) for long haul, there are occasions when it is booked out. Flights to CES are an example :) In past years it goes like this: last minute, all booked out but E, end up in a middle seat in E- on a Y (full fare) ticket. IMHO... they should _always_ look after customer's that have earnt GS with a consistent high level of surface and while this is similar to the old GFL rule, I'm a little surprised by it.

edcho Jan 5, 2017 5:55 am

Originally Posted by iflyuaaa (Post 27707657)
New to this...woo hoo...I believe GS can use a GPU on an award ticket. Can we use a GPU on a purchased fare <W?

No W fare is required still.

kirkwoodj Jan 5, 2017 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Daniel-SYD (Post 27707947)
Just got bumped up to GS for the year and so I'm coming up to speed on what's changed. This, if correct, is a disappointment:
"United Global Services members are welcome to enter whenever traveling in United Polaris."

While I'm going to book Biz (Polaris) for long haul, there are occasions when it is booked out. Flights to CES are an example :) In past years it goes like this: last minute, all booked out but E, end up in a middle seat in E- on a Y (full fare) ticket. IMHO... they should _always_ look after customer's that have earnt GS with a consistent high level of surface and while this is similar to the old GFL rule, I'm a little surprised by it.

It's NOT similar to old GFL rule and will eventually be a downgrade when GFLs are gone. Anybody flying Polaris can access a Polaris Lounge, whether they're GS or it's their first time ever on an aircraft.

villox Jan 5, 2017 6:39 am

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj (Post 27708312)
It's NOT similar to old GFL rule and will eventually be a downgrade when GFLs are gone. Anybody flying Polaris can access a Polaris Lounge, whether they're GS or it's their first time ever on an aircraft.

Another downgrade for GS will be the loss of the Lufthansa First Class Lounge once Global First goes away and nobody can thus fly in it.

uanj Jan 5, 2017 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Daniel-SYD (Post 27707947)

Sorry, buddy, Polaris lounges are only open to passengers ticketed in business or first class on long haul, international routes. It's the same for all passengers, MP status has no bearing.

GS really don't get any special UA lounge benefits other than FC lounge access to any remaining FC lounges if ticketed in international business on UA. This is not a policy change, but the effective change comes as one by one the FC lounges are converted to Polaris lounges.

BA_Jfan Jan 5, 2017 9:09 am

It really does suck that UA doesn't offer any kind of premium lounge at EWR. Doesn't make any sense to me.
They are opening a Polaris lounge there one day but only Munoz knows when it will happen.

hdfdisk Jan 5, 2017 3:57 pm

Is it really true that GS sometimes get invitation to F lounge in international places where UA is utilizing others lounges (like CA, SQ, LH)?

villox Jan 5, 2017 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by hdfdisk (Post 27711374)
Is it really true that GS sometimes get invitation to F lounge in international places where UA is utilizing others lounges (like CA, SQ, LH)?

GS members can use the LH F lounges when traveling in Polaris first (normally only LH group F passengers get access). Anyone can use the SQ and CA F lounges when traveling in United Polaris first. GS do not get any special privileges in those, at least not officially anyway.

manstein58 Jan 5, 2017 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by wxguy (Post 27711499)
Welp, I started the 2016 thread a year ago, so I might as well start the 2017 thread. Post away!

Thanks for this

iflyuaaa Jan 5, 2017 5:06 pm

thx for the thread. can we try to build out the wiki to be all comprehensive of the benefits. i'm not clear on things like lounge access (GFL?), OAL lounges, etc

this statment was also ambiguous to me: GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available. (does the companion have to be in W or higher?)

would be great to see a list of intangible not guaranteed things but peoples experiences like holding planes, rebooking options in irrops, hotels for wx delays etc

ua_sp_102366 Jan 5, 2017 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by iflyuaaa (Post 27711694)
thx for the thread. can we try to build out the wiki to be all comprehensive of the benefits. i'm not clear on things like lounge access (GFL?), OAL lounges, etc

this statment was also ambiguous to me: GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available. (does the companion have to be in W or higher?)

would be great to see a list of intangible not guaranteed things but peoples experiences like holding planes, rebooking options in irrops, hotels for wx delays etc

yes, the fare needs to be W class or higher AND you have to apply a GPU as well. The only difference is that the GS desk will confirm the upgrade right away even if PN/RN is not available (so no upgrade waitlist)

for domestic flights including Canada and Mexico, the W fare rule does not apply. Also, you only need a RPU outside the 120 hour period. Within the 120 hour GS CPU upgrade window your companion can get upgraded for free without the need of a RPU.

Hope this helps

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj (Post 27708312)

when you are flying International economy, your *A Gold benefits apply and you get United Club access but not Polaris Lounge access