Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: getagb
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2016]
Thread on 2017 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2017 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.
Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Polaris First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade under T-72 hours provided 2 seats remain for sale afterwards and they are at the top of the waitlist
  • GS can create saver Polaris First (O) space at T-72 hours if they are already booked in saver business (IN), provided one seat remains for sale after
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available. UPDATE: as of 7/21/17 must have >2 for sale within 72hrs of flight
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available, as long as J/F>1. Companion needs to be W or greater intl.
  • (Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare.)
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Seems to me that this is another disguised effort by UA to sell more upgrades to kettles at OLCI at the expense of HVFs... I have already directly felt the effects by not being able to clear CPUs ...
As a counter, it is interesting that regularly there are threads where folks claim that too many seats are used for upgrades, leaving none for last minute bookings / irrops / ... these are mostly paid F flyers. This is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for UA -- both viewpoints from their HVF community.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:05 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
IMHO the key here is that UA wants to leave if unsold two seats in F up until departure. But it does not always work in theory. This weekend we did SDC to a earlier flight. The flight had five seats in F with PN space when we left our hotel. Upon arrival at the airport and forever dealing with a incompetent "GS" agent at the counter there were three seats with now no PN. That put us on the waitlist. Between the counter and the Club my upgrade cleared leaving two seats. My wife also GS cleared by gate agent before boarding. The flight left with one seat not occupied in F. Lost opportunity with that seat for UA. ?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by manstein58
Kirby's fingerprints all over this
For sure. Oscar = good guy and Kirby = Bad Guy. Kirby seems to be doing many of the same things as Smisek, except he isn't as visible.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
1. Agents can no longer clear any type of upgrade with T《 24.
2. Agents can clear CPU between 120 》T 》24 as long as PN is available.
3. If T 《 72 and no PN is available, agents can clear GPU and RPU if unsold is 》3.

I learned this the hard way as I waited inside T24 to try for a CPU on a flight tomorrow. Flight is PN2. Agent would have cleared it at T24+. Will probably be given away for TOD or hard sell offer at the gate........DEN departure.

Anyone else want to see if you are told differently.
Just told that a CPU can NEVER be cleared manually, irrespective of PN availability (the flight I am trying to clear shows PN6)......now trying HUCA.

ETA: Same response from the next agent.......one last try late tonight.

Last edited by LAXOGG; Aug 25, 2017 at 8:04 pm
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Just told that a CPU can NEVER be cleared manually, irrespective of PN availability (the flight I am trying to clear shows PN6)......
When is the flight? T-??
Old Aug 26, 2017, 1:31 am

Just told that a CPU can NEVER be cleared manually, irrespective of PN availability (the flight I am trying to clear shows PN6)......now trying HUCA.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
When is the flight? T-??
Time to flight is irrelevant according to the agents. When I stated that the purpose of my call was to check to see if a CPU could be cleared, the agents stopped me right there and said they can no longer clear any CPU manually.. No reason to check the record or look at PN inventory.

Got the same answer this evening...no dice.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 1:54 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

That's what I was told last night. No manual intervention. The computer HAS to do it now.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
That's correct info. CPU cannot be processed manually, period.

RPU and GPU can still be processed manually as long as there is "enough" inventory in the cabin you are trying to get into after your upgrade clears. Some claim "2" is the right number while others (including myself) were told it's based on a behind-the-scenes number that the computer shows them.

Either way, CPU is a no go. RPU/GPU still possible.

-RM
Old Aug 26, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
That's correct info. CPU cannot be processed manually, period.

RPU and GPU can still be processed manually as long as there is "enough" inventory in the cabin you are trying to get into after your upgrade clears. Some claim "2" is the right number while others (including myself) were told it's based on a behind-the-scenes number that the computer shows them.

Either way, CPU is a no go. RPU/GPU still possible.

-RM
I kind of like the idea that GPUs and RPUs get priority over CPUs. If it really works out that way....
Old Aug 26, 2017, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by uanj
I kind of like the idea that GPUs and RPUs get priority over CPUs. If it really works out that way....
I got an agent to push through a LGA-ORD RPU at T-72 that was at F3. Ended up being the only upgrade. What I don't understand is why this logic can't just be automated at T-72.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 12:38 pm

I kind of like this new change in upgrade policy. As someone who rarely buys Y without confirmable upgrade space at booking and who has been the victim of being forced back to Y due to a full F cabin, I take solace in knowing that there is higher odds of available F seats on day of departure during IRROPS.

I would much rather not be sent back to Y in the event of a forced change than worry about clearing an upgrade 3 days before a flight.

The only thing I wonder about is what happens during IRROPS when an upgrade has already cleared (cert or CPU)? Will the GS team be able to force an upgrade on an alternate flight in this scenario even without F>2?
Old Aug 27, 2017, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by FlyHighInTheSky
...The only thing I wonder about is what happens during IRROPS when an upgrade has already cleared (cert or CPU)? Will the GS team be able to force an upgrade on an alternate flight in this scenario even without F>2?
Welp, answered my own question. My wife's RPU upgraded flight was delayed to the point of missing a connection this morning and the GS agent was not able to confirm the upgrade on many of the flights do to F<2. That's a huge bummer.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Due to Harvey, had 2 itineraries adjusted with flight to South America changed to Copa, no troubles. Wait time less than 5 minutes, which I thought was certainly acceptable!
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Body Blow to GS Upgrades

Missed my first upgrade in years. GS Reservations wouldn't clear to upgrade at T-72 or T-24. Online check-in opened up and both seats disappeared. I got no buy-up offer.

Have been waitlisted for about 5 days.

This is an extreme hit to GS. I now know how the 1Ks feel since the merger. But it is going to have a major impact on GS members whose upgrade hopes are going to die on the waitlist while UA sells TODs
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:49 am

Programs: UA 1k Hyatt Globalist
"GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available, as long as J/F>1. Companion needs to be W or greater intl."

For this benefit, companion do not need GPU? If it is right, it is major improvement of GS benefit. I will consider getting GS next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.