Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: getagb
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2016]
Thread on 2017 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2017 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.
Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Polaris First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade under T-72 hours provided 2 seats remain for sale afterwards and they are at the top of the waitlist
  • GS can create saver Polaris First (O) space at T-72 hours if they are already booked in saver business (IN), provided one seat remains for sale after
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available. UPDATE: as of 7/21/17 must have >2 for sale within 72hrs of flight
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available, as long as J/F>1. Companion needs to be W or greater intl.
  • (Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare.)
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 2.8 MM,UA-GS 1.3 MM,DL-PL,HH-DM,LH-SEN,Bonvoy-GL
Angry

So I just got off the phone twice with GS reservations as I thought it was a mistake I also spoke to GS customer service and they confirmed as of 7/21 within 72Hrs NO SAVER COMPANION awards in same class of service if <3 for sale,(my itinerary is international I did not ask re domestic) so I guess not only using GPU/RPU within 72 Hrs that are gone mentioned upthread ,now companion is also gone, to me this is a very big deal as my flights are almost always last minute the GS CSR couldn't explain why there was no correspondence and promised someone from senior management will call me keep you guys posted

Last edited by lakid; Aug 2, 2017 at 3:07 pm
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lakid
So I just got off the phone twice with GS reservations as I thought it was a mistake I also spoke to GS customer service and they confirmed as of 7/21 within 72Hrs NO SAVER COMPANION awards in same class of service if <3 for sale,(my itinerary is international I did not ask re domestic) so I guess not only using GPU/RPU within 72 Hrs that are gone mentioned upthread ,now companion is also gone, to me this is a very big deal as my flights are almost always last minute the GS CSR couldn't explain why there was no correspondence and promised someone from senior management will call me keep you guys posted
That benefit is the main reason I’m interested in GS this year… can anyone else verify if this is gone?
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA GS
Remember the email that promised no cuts to the GS program?
Right; now the GS check in in FRA is gone too. In addition they cut down to one counter for all Polaris and 1K.
At least LH FC Lounge Access still works
Old Aug 7, 2017, 4:51 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I'm heading to HKG early next month. Outbound trying AA in F from LAX to HKG and back via TPE on BR in C to SFO. Too many "no" from GS and e-mail that does not get answered w flight now flown. HUCA is getting old. Getting bored with GS. Time to fly.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Remember the email that promised no cuts to the GS program?
Right; now the GS check in in FRA is gone too. In addition they cut down to one counter for all Polaris and 1K.
At least LH FC Lounge Access still works
Sad show at FRA check in these days
Old Aug 7, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
2 Companion Upgrades

Looking to go to Europe and the Middle East with the family (4 people total). Has anyone had success with buying two premium fares and then subsequently having an agent open up 2 upgrades to Polaris when PN is not available either on a Y Revenue Ticket or XN/YN Award Ticket? Any one have any workarounds for this? Trying to get all 4 of us into Polaris as economically as possible.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: UA 1K (sob...former GS), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JLiebo92
Looking to go to Europe and the Middle East with the family (4 people total). Has anyone had success with buying two premium fares and then subsequently having an agent open up 2 upgrades to Polaris when PN is not available either on a Y Revenue Ticket or XN/YN Award Ticket? Any one have any workarounds for this? Trying to get all 4 of us into Polaris as economically as possible.
Wife is GS and we've tried this before with our family, and the answer is uniformly a NO. Now, if we were both GS, that would be a different story, but as with the rules using GPU's on award tickets (the award tickets must be booked with the GS member's miles), it seems UA is - understandably - strict on this point.

What we tend to do is book one kid with my wife in biz using the companion saver biz benefit and then book the other 2 in economy with GPU's. Worst case you can switch halfway through the flight or something if the upgrades don't clear.

Remember that all the GS benefits only apply on UA metal, so you may want to stick to destinations that UA reaches.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jjmoore
GS CPU upgrades at 24 hours... was told by an agent today that there was a change in policy and that CPUs now have to clear automatically or at the gate and that they cannot push an upgrade through at 24 hours anymore. I tried today to have a CPU pushed this morning for my flight I am sitting on now... 2 of 6 seats were available earlier... and at 1hr til departure, they disappeared. Gate agent told me that non-status folks purchased the buy-up offer and that I was out of luck.

If this becomes the new norm, my CPU probabilities are going to drop dramatically from my current stat.
is there an update to this new policy? Is the 24 hour CPU gone?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Chukiechz
is there an update to this new policy? Is the 24 hour CPU gone?
I believe that this is now the policy, but that upgrades may be able to be cleared if there are more than 2 seats available in the business (or first) cabin.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
On Companion Upgrades. I just bought a J fare to London for next year. When I went to book the companion, the agent told me that I had to book them into W or higher to use a GPU, but that it was policy to open up PN for that use. I thought they would open up PN for any fare.

Am I not correct on that?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by DENflyer3
On Companion Upgrades. I just bought a J fare to London for next year. When I went to book the companion, the agent told me that I had to book them into W or higher to use a GPU, but that it was policy to open up PN for that use. I thought they would open up PN for any fare.

They will "open PN for any fare" - but forced PN space is not useful for a fare which is ineligible for GPU. You can GPU an XN or W+ ticket, or miles+cash a lower fare class.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
Well I have to say yesterday was a day that GS really came through. Had a horrible crew from hkg to sfo in Polaris. So bad that I am writing an email to the cs address. But that isn't where gs came through for me.

My flight from SFO to ORD was delayed such that I was scheduled to miss my ORD to RST connection. Which was the last flight of the day. I got a call from GS in SFO letting me know that they would rebook me to MSP if I wanted and then have a car take me down to RST. They also said they would keep me on the RST flight as well. I thought that was a nice gesture.

Landed in ORD 20 minutes after my RST flight was supposed to leave. Have a car waiting for me to go from C10 to F25. The driver had stayed on longer to make sure that I didn't have to run to the flight. Really great service.

Though the the best part was another gs on the flight tried to push me out of the way with a dykwia moment. He wanted a car to go from C10 to C18 and said he deserved over me. Litterally said "He doesn't look like a GS. Look how he is dressed". As I am dressed in a polo, pants and just have a backpack. The rep simply said to this guy. "I am sorry sir but you will have to walk 6 gates. This gentleman has a connection in 15 minutes from the F gates. This service is not guaranteed." The guy proceeds to say something about calling corporate over this. But the rep basically shook his head. Thought it was well handled.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by DENflyer3

If you are booked into J, C, D, Z, or P on an int'l flight, I believe the options for the companion booking are:

1) W or higher fare class + GPU confirmed immediately into PN by GS agent
2) GS agent will automatically open IN space for a saver business class award
3) If XN is available, you can book that and use a GPU into PN with GS agent
4) If T is available, GS agent can convert to XN, and then you can apply GPU - GS agent will then upgrade into PN

Not sure, but I believe that the rules have recently changed that require a certain # of seats in the upgrade cabin to be available in order to do the companion upgrade. It used to be possible even if only 1 seat remained. Could someone with more experience in this matter please quote my post?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, Marriot Gold
No upgrades within 24hrs

I have been able to call GS and get upgraded until 3hrs before a flight very regularly if there is space available. Usually am first on upgrade list and have never had any issues. Most recent one was on Monday. So yesterday I was flying out of IAH and saw first was not booked full around 18-19hrs before departure. Called GS. Was told that there was no seat available so I could not be upgraded and then asked me to hold - after coming back on the horn she said there need to be 3 seats available to upgrade. HUCA. Second GS agent tells me that there was a new policy that came out last week and they are not upgrading folks within the 24hr mark. HUCA. Third GS did a lot of typing and just said it's under airport control and she can't manually upgrade me.
Is this a new reduction in GS benefits?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by IAH_1K
I have been able to call GS and get upgraded until 3hrs before a flight very regularly if there is space available. Usually am first on upgrade list and have never had any issues. Most recent one was on Monday. So yesterday I was flying out of IAH and saw first was not booked full around 18-19hrs before departure. Called GS. Was told that there was no seat available so I could not be upgraded and then asked me to hold - after coming back on the horn she said there need to be 3 seats available to upgrade. HUCA. Second GS agent tells me that there was a new policy that came out last week and they are not upgrading folks within the 24hr mark. HUCA. Third GS did a lot of typing and just said it's under airport control and she can't manually upgrade me.
Is this a new reduction in GS benefits?
It's been reported a few times in this thread. It appears that the new policy requires at least 3 seats to be available (in other words, there must be 2 seats remaining after you are upgraded), for either T-72 if using an instrument or T-24 for a CPU.

Some agents have interpreted the new policy to mean no upgrades within 24 hours at all, but since we don't have access to the memo or policy we can't be sure. So if there are at least 3 seats and you can't get them to push, your best bet is to HUACA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.