Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: getagb
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2016]
Thread on 2017 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2017 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.
Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Polaris First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade under T-72 hours provided 2 seats remain for sale afterwards and they are at the top of the waitlist
  • GS can create saver Polaris First (O) space at T-72 hours if they are already booked in saver business (IN), provided one seat remains for sale after
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available. UPDATE: as of 7/21/17 must have >2 for sale within 72hrs of flight
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available, as long as J/F>1. Companion needs to be W or greater intl.
  • (Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare.)
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB

Welp, I started the 2016 thread a year ago, so I might as well start the 2017 thread. Post away!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 5, 2017 at 5:58 pm Reason: moved to top of thread
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:35 am
Suspended

New to this...woo hoo...I believe GS can use a GPU on an award ticket. Can we use a GPU on a purchased fare <W?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by helvetic
That said, UA does owe that guy some downgrade compensation. The right thing to do was for UA to downgrade that person, give GS his seat in F, and provide the downgraded pax appropriate and generous compensation.
can a GS request to stay in Y and get the downgrade comp? depending onthe flight, i'd take a $250 voucher and sit in the back.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:30 am

Programs: UA 1MM GS
Originally Posted by unitedhandcuffs
I'm a new GS, just got the invite today, so apologize for potentially stupid questions. In the next week I'll be flying SYD to LAX to LAS to EWR to SFO.
(SYD) Anything besides GS check-in desk and pre-boarding i should look out for in SYD? I'm assuming lounge access is just SQ or Air New Zealand the same as if you fly business as 1k.
(LAX) Can i assume that the benz transfer is not possible when landing international and going domestic cause of the need to first go through customs? anything i should look out for in LAX?
I read about the EWR GS check in desk and the SFO arrival lounge (more obviously written about the hubs) so i'll check them out. thanks.
Pretty much the same - there is a GS line at check-in. Look out for Annie and team
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM GS
Just got bumped up to GS for the year and so I'm coming up to speed on what's changed. This, if correct, is a disappointment:
"United Global Services members are welcome to enter whenever traveling in United Polaris."

While I'm going to book Biz (Polaris) for long haul, there are occasions when it is booked out. Flights to CES are an example In past years it goes like this: last minute, all booked out but E, end up in a middle seat in E- on a Y (full fare) ticket. IMHO... they should _always_ look after customer's that have earnt GS with a consistent high level of surface and while this is similar to the old GFL rule, I'm a little surprised by it.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
New to this...woo hoo...I believe GS can use a GPU on an award ticket. Can we use a GPU on a purchased fare <W?
No W fare is required still.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Daniel-SYD
Just got bumped up to GS for the year and so I'm coming up to speed on what's changed. This, if correct, is a disappointment:
"United Global Services members are welcome to enter whenever traveling in United Polaris."

While I'm going to book Biz (Polaris) for long haul, there are occasions when it is booked out. Flights to CES are an example In past years it goes like this: last minute, all booked out but E, end up in a middle seat in E- on a Y (full fare) ticket. IMHO... they should _always_ look after customer's that have earnt GS with a consistent high level of surface and while this is similar to the old GFL rule, I'm a little surprised by it.
It's NOT similar to old GFL rule and will eventually be a downgrade when GFLs are gone. Anybody flying Polaris can access a Polaris Lounge, whether they're GS or it's their first time ever on an aircraft.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
It's NOT similar to old GFL rule and will eventually be a downgrade when GFLs are gone. Anybody flying Polaris can access a Polaris Lounge, whether they're GS or it's their first time ever on an aircraft.
Another downgrade for GS will be the loss of the Lufthansa First Class Lounge once Global First goes away and nobody can thus fly in it.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by Daniel-SYD

Sorry, buddy, Polaris lounges are only open to passengers ticketed in business or first class on long haul, international routes. It's the same for all passengers, MP status has no bearing.

GS really don't get any special UA lounge benefits other than FC lounge access to any remaining FC lounges if ticketed in international business on UA. This is not a policy change, but the effective change comes as one by one the FC lounges are converted to Polaris lounges.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
It really does suck that UA doesn't offer any kind of premium lounge at EWR. Doesn't make any sense to me.
They are opening a Polaris lounge there one day but only Munoz knows when it will happen.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: United GS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Is it really true that GS sometimes get invitation to F lounge in international places where UA is utilizing others lounges (like CA, SQ, LH)?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by hdfdisk
Is it really true that GS sometimes get invitation to F lounge in international places where UA is utilizing others lounges (like CA, SQ, LH)?
GS members can use the LH F lounges when traveling in Polaris first (normally only LH group F passengers get access). Anyone can use the SQ and CA F lounges when traveling in United Polaris first. GS do not get any special privileges in those, at least not officially anyway.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by wxguy
Welp, I started the 2016 thread a year ago, so I might as well start the 2017 thread. Post away!
Thanks for this
Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:06 pm
Suspended

thx for the thread. can we try to build out the wiki to be all comprehensive of the benefits. i'm not clear on things like lounge access (GFL?), OAL lounges, etc

this statment was also ambiguous to me: GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available. (does the companion have to be in W or higher?)

would be great to see a list of intangible not guaranteed things but peoples experiences like holding planes, rebooking options in irrops, hotels for wx delays etc
Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott (Plat Premier, LT Plat)
Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
thx for the thread. can we try to build out the wiki to be all comprehensive of the benefits. i'm not clear on things like lounge access (GFL?), OAL lounges, etc

this statment was also ambiguous to me: GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available. (does the companion have to be in W or higher?)

would be great to see a list of intangible not guaranteed things but peoples experiences like holding planes, rebooking options in irrops, hotels for wx delays etc

yes, the fare needs to be W class or higher AND you have to apply a GPU as well. The only difference is that the GS desk will confirm the upgrade right away even if PN/RN is not available (so no upgrade waitlist)

for domestic flights including Canada and Mexico, the W fare rule does not apply. Also, you only need a RPU outside the 120 hour period. Within the 120 hour GS CPU upgrade window your companion can get upgraded for free without the need of a RPU.

Hope this helps

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj

when you are flying International economy, your *A Gold benefits apply and you get United Club access but not Polaris Lounge access

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 5, 2017 at 9:28 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.