Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: getagb
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2016]
Thread on 2017 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2017 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.
Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Polaris First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade under T-72 hours provided 2 seats remain for sale afterwards and they are at the top of the waitlist
  • GS can create saver Polaris First (O) space at T-72 hours if they are already booked in saver business (IN), provided one seat remains for sale after
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available. UPDATE: as of 7/21/17 must have >2 for sale within 72hrs of flight
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available, as long as J/F>1. Companion needs to be W or greater intl.
  • (Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare.)
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by kwb007
I'd like to get everyone's input on the downgrades that are hitting the GS program. So far, It's:

1. Elimination of GS check-in lines
2. Elimination of GS/First Lounges and intro of the Polaris lounge
3. Potential elimination of GS pre-boarding (like other GS's on FT, I've been told this in GRU multiple times but the GS reps deny it will happen at the moment)
4. Significantly longer hold times (I waited 5-10 minutes yesterday to talk to a rep which is consistent with a few other posts. I'm hopeful that the grumpiness of her attitude was a one time event...but notably that was rare last year. The GS reps are almost universally fantastic.)

Please post any other changes that you are experiencing.

It's seems clear to me that this is all designed to placate the 1Ks. They make up the bulk of UA's revenue so they are getting bump in their benefits package at the expense of the GS's. Even GS signage is being wholesale eliminated with 1K is replacing it. Seems odd to have an airline downgrade it's most valuable fliers.
I think we need to wait a bit before we know how much of a downgrade we experience:

1. I've heard this too but has anyone seen it yet? What airports?
2. This is a concern to me, too, but we need to wait and see if the Polaris lounges really are a downgrade from the old GF lounges.
3. Everyone at UA is denying this.
4. This is a downgrade but you missed another part of it, the previously dedicated GS agents are now assigned to everyone as are general agents. The lack of knowledge of some of the agents is astounding. All my calls are for international itineraries. I've had agents answer the phone as a GS agent and suggest if I call back I could get an agent more knowledgeable with international fares.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by uanj
I think we need to wait a bit before we know how much of a downgrade we experience:

2. This is a concern to me, too, but we need to wait and see if the Polaris lounges really are a downgrade from the old GF lounges.
4. This is a downgrade but you missed another part of it, the previously dedicated GS agents are now assigned to everyone as are general agents. The lack of knowledge of some of the agents is astounding. All my calls are for international itineraries. I've had agents answer the phone as a GS agent and suggest if I call back I could get an agent more knowledgeable with international fares.
I'll add another downgrade.......PN space on domestic has been eliminated or significantly reduced.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond

Yesterday I received a schedule change on an international flight returning to the US from a European city thru Munich. Instead of a 2 hour connection the connection was only 40 minutes. No way would it be possible to make that connection given the need to go thru immigration and possibly security if my initial flight had a remote parking spot. After waiting 10 minutes on hold, the "GS" agent initially spent 15 minutes trying to figure out alternatives and came back with suggested changes that would require me to pay a change fee plus a large fare difference despite having the record on the agents screen. After explaining my expectations, the agent went off for another 20 minutes and came back with another silly schedule change when all I needed was a change to an early morning flight from the initial departure city. The agent then told me that was not possible because the fare basis was not available on that early flight. I hung up, checked fare bases and determined that "A" fares were available on all segments including the flight from the departure city. Called in again, reached a real GS agent who made the change in a few minutes.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nigos
Yesterday I received a schedule change on an international flight returning to the US from a European city thru Munich. Instead of a 2 hour connection the connection was only 40 minutes. No way would it be possible to make that connection given the need to go thru immigration and possibly security if my initial flight had a remote parking spot. After waiting 10 minutes on hold, the "GS" agent initially spent 15 minutes trying to figure out alternatives and came back with suggested changes that would require me to pay a change fee plus a large fare difference despite having the record on the agents screen. After explaining my expectations, the agent went off for another 20 minutes and came back with another silly schedule change when all I needed was a change to an early morning flight from the initial departure city. The agent then told me that was not possible because the fare basis was not available on that early flight. I hung up, checked fare bases and determined that "A" fares were available on all segments including the flight from the departure city. Called in again, reached a real GS agent who made the change in a few minutes.
how do you know if you got a real agent? and why does A space matter in that case? if it's a schedule change, shouldn't they book you on anything that has a seat available regardless of fare basis?

i'm new to GS. but even as a 1k, in the last 2 years, i think they would have made the change you requested regardless of inventory without a huge fight. In 2012/13 they would not have (that's when i left for AA) but since i've been back, i haven't had any major issues on schedule change reroute requests.

the only reroute request i had denied that they never would have denied pre 2012 was a VDB situation when i asked for DL, but they would rather put me in a hotel and go the next morning on UA. i finally budged and said yes but that still bugs me that i couldn't take the delta red eye.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA GS 5 MM, Delta 1.6MM & Hilton Diamond, Avis Chairman, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
I'll add another downgrade.......PN space on domestic has been eliminated or significantly reduced.
+1
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond

2. This is a concern to me, too, but we need to wait and see if the Polaris lounges really are a downgrade from the old GF lounges.u
3. Everyone at UA is denying this
On 1, at Sydney last week I noted that the GS line has been eliminated. In its place was a sign saying "Polaris/1K" and below that the "new" GS globe. I waited longer than I ever have on prior trips with several people ahead of me. Same thing at SAN as well.

On 3, when boarding at SFO last week to EWR, there was no GS. Agent did Families, Military, then straight to Group 1.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, BA GGL
Originally Posted by greenpau
On 3, when boarding at SFO last week to EWR, there was no GS. Agent did Families, Military, then straight to Group 1.
Had the same experience twice at SFO last week (but in DEN, everything was normal). I had initially chalked it up to an oversight, but alas, I'm beginning to think this the new procedure.

MAJOR downgrade as I've always found this small courtesy useful in order to get myself situated before the overhead bins are filled (I'm looking at you, A319 front cabin). This is particularly valuable when seated in the bulkhead.

UA lurkers, please remind the agents of the proper process - or tell your customers that this is not happening any longer.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA GS
No more GS check in in PEK either,
But today the GA in DEN called GS together with handicapped ^
Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA ,Qantas ,Southwest
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
That is stunning
I am in my 15th year as a GS, in the early years 1-3 on TATL was the norm,only heavy ones consistently were out of Syd 7ish, new 1K me thinks....that said there was no pre boarding for GS until several years after the program started

Last edited by rduer; Jan 10, 2017 at 7:19 pm
Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
This past week(thru monday) in IAD, SJC, DEN and IAH GS was invited on during preboarding.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
you know who you are, and you know what you are entitled to. just go up too board when you are ready.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by holedigger458
you know who you are, and you know what you are entitled to. just go up too board when you are ready.
Yeah, that's not how it works. At best it's a DYKWIA move. At worst, you aren't boarding the plane at all.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA GS/2M Miles, AA 1M Miles
The flight was on the jetway for boarding. I've talked with other GS's who have heard similar rumblings from other gate agents.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:50 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Lawyerneering
Yeah, that's not how it works. At best it's a DYKWIA move. At worst, you aren't boarding the plane at all.
It's a "What I have earned and am entitled to" move. You better believe I am going to do this and call them out on it. And trust me, I'll be on the plane.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA GS 2mm
Long hold times

What's going on with the "super long" (yes I know I got spoiled) hold times...? Based on my time with GS status:

<2012: No ring, straight to agent pick up with them saying, "Mr. xxxxx"
2012-2016: A few rings with an automated message but very quick
2017: 5-10 minutes

Also, took 17 minutes on the phone today for an agent to add a RPU to an award ticket.... this used to take minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.