Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: getagb
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2016]
Thread on 2017 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2017 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.
Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Polaris First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade under T-72 hours provided 2 seats remain for sale afterwards and they are at the top of the waitlist
  • GS can create saver Polaris First (O) space at T-72 hours if they are already booked in saver business (IN), provided one seat remains for sale after
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available. UPDATE: as of 7/21/17 must have >2 for sale within 72hrs of flight
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available, as long as J/F>1. Companion needs to be W or greater intl.
  • (Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare.)
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:45 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Note: I did get an agent who answered "Thanks for calling UA GS, how may I help you?" I actually found the agent colder than the 1K agents I'm used to dealing with. She was nice enough but couldn't be bothered at the same time. She gave me the PNR code I was looking for and that was it....
-RM
There really aren't any 1K or GS agents anymore. At least half the time I call, they say they're GS, but I get someone who is clearly nothing close to what we used to consider GS-caliber -- e.g. they have to consult with someone else to do basic stuff like force upgrades.

I still think the best way to distinguish is the real old GS agents don't normally ask you if you want a deal on a rental car or a hotel. Other people on this forum deny there's a link, but it has sure been my experience.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: United GS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
My gut feeling is pacific storm these day keep their desk busy so lots of call get overflowed to 1K/premier desk.
I mean, between waiting 20 minutes for next GS agents and get pick up immediately by next available agents, in the event of IRROPS, I certainly prefer later..
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:40 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, *G; Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum
My first GS experience

Newly minted 1st time GS and just had my first "experience" on my return flight PHL-SFO. I was sitting at the wee PHL lounge awaiting my 525 AM boarding when a GS approached me and addressed me by name. He was clearly familiar with my itinerary, thanked me for my business, and said he would see me at the gate. Very pleasant interaction. Once at the gate, the GA summoned me and the other GS on the flight by name to board - without announcing any GS pre-boarding. I did notice that they had the Group 1 lane closed off and they had us enter through the open Group 345 lane. Is this the new boarding procedure that I've seen referenced as being in test?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by genejockey
Newly minted 1st time GS and just had my first "experience" on my return flight PHL-SFO. I was sitting at the wee PHL lounge awaiting my 525 AM boarding when a GS approached me and addressed me by name. He was clearly familiar with my itinerary, thanked me for my business, and said he would see me at the gate. Very pleasant interaction. Once at the gate, the GA summoned me and the other GS on the flight by name to board - without announcing any GS pre-boarding. I did notice that they had the Group 1 lane closed off and they had us enter through the open Group 345 lane. Is this the new boarding procedure that I've seen referenced as being in test?
Sounds like SOP at PHL altho IIRC GS are corralled into a roped off section of Group 1
Old Jan 12, 2017, 5:36 am
Suspended

i don't understand all this boarding testing nonsense. why not just go back to the red carpet ways. it worked perfectly. ua had the higheston time percentage in recent memory.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Have people started getting their GS kits for 2017? What do they look like? I haven't been home since January 1 so no idea if mine came.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:39 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL
At ORD yesterday, the gate agent called for those with disabilities, active military, families with children under two, and then GS/1K together. I was at the front of the Group 1 line and walked forward to board as a 1K. She thanked me for my loyalty and I boarded.
I've flown through BOS, SFO, TPE, ORD so far this year and in every case they have Pre-boarded GS (no 1K). In Taipei they cleared the boarding pass and moved me into a staging area then allowed me to board well in advance of any general boarding, all good. Flying back from Puerta Vallarta to BOS this Saturday on UA metal through DEN then to SFO for the 3rd time this month on Sunday, then back to BOS on Monday evening so I'll report anything out of the ordinary.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bldr1k
Has anyone else noticed a significant change in upgrades? I'm flying BOS to DEN on Friday on a refundable M fare. 9 hours before checkin and there are 7 first class seats available and I haven't been upgraded yet. I'm not sure what United is doing but this is very disappointing. My upgrade percentage on YBM fares is probably under 50% (as GS). YBM actually is worse than cheap fares (according to the GS agent I talked to).
Within T-24 you should call in and ask the agent to push the upgrade through. Provided there is F>1 and no one else has a higher upgrade priority than you, I I have found that they will do it. I did this the other day on an award ticket booked in Y. There was F=2 and the agent pushed the CPU through.

Originally Posted by DCApilot
Good evening experts,

I'm hoping for some insight on rules associated with companion travel. I am planning a paid business class trip from IAD to SYD. As a GS, I understand that I am able to upgrade a companion miles-economy ticket by using a GPU. Is the upgrade subjected to normal available inventory limitations or does a paid biz ticket plus GS allow more access to available seats? The GS agent I spoke with indicated no upgradable inventory in either direction.
This is true - tell the agent that you are traveling on a paid revenue ticket, and give them the PNR to pull this up. Then give them the PNR of your companion - they can get a Supervisor to open up the upgrade space provided that J>1. They will document in the companion PNR the details of your revenue PNR as the reason for the override. If you have challenges with this, HUCA - Hang Up, Call Again.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 12, 2017 at 2:00 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
Newbie GS question here. When have folks seen PN space open up on TATL flights? Right now i am waitlisted for an upgrade (I am actually using my GPU's for the first time in years) out of LHR next Sunday and the flight is showing F2 FN2 J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN0.... I figure I have to be at the top or very close to the top of the upgrade list. However, was curious what your experiences have been on when they might open up a PN seat?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by MSY-MSP
Newbie GS question here. When have folks seen PN space open up on TATL flights? Right now i am waitlisted for an upgrade (I am actually using my GPU's for the first time in years) out of LHR next Sunday and the flight is showing F2 FN2 J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN0.... I figure I have to be at the top or very close to the top of the upgrade list. However, was curious what your experiences have been on when they might open up a PN seat?
There is no "rule" nor pattern. That being said, oftentimes as a GS I W/L with a GPU when PN=0, and overnight it clears. I have to think there's a bot that runs looking for W/Ls, and an algorithm that asks, "Shall I clear it now?"
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by greenpau
Within T-24 you should call in and ask the agent to push the upgrade through. Provided there is F>1 and no one else has a higher upgrade priority than you, I I have found that they will do it. I did this the other day on an award ticket booked in Y. There was F=2 and the agent pushed the CPU through.
I've always done this successfully. Today I called at 24H and she said she could not push it through even though it was F7. Weird.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by bldr1k
I've always done this successfully. Today I called at 24H and she said she could not push it through even though it was F7. Weird.
HUCA
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: United Global Services
Frankfurt First Class Terminal vs. Lounge

If traveling F outbound from Frankfurt (on a Lufthansa outbound flight.......coming inbound on United)......does Lufthansa offer car transport service to the plane from BOTH the First Class terminal and the lounge?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Love_flying
If traveling F outbound from Frankfurt (on a Lufthansa outbound flight.......coming inbound on United)......does Lufthansa offer car transport service to the plane from BOTH the First Class terminal and the lounge?
Yes. I had car service from the first class lounge in B to the gate last month on a LH long haul flight in F.

They do not offer car service, or first class terminal, for Global Service traveling on a UA outbound flight in F.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA GS/MM, MR PPE/LTG, ‎TSA Pre✓, NEXUS, APEC BTC, UKBF RT, CLEAR, DXB E-GATE
Is it my less than stellar luck or is PN availability 0, looked at IAH > PIT, IAH > ORD, IAH > LIM. Can't seem to use much of this GS mojo if there is nada PN...or aminotdoingitrite?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.