Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: getagb
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2016]
Thread on 2017 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2017 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.
Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Polaris First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade under T-72 hours provided 2 seats remain for sale afterwards and they are at the top of the waitlist
  • GS can create saver Polaris First (O) space at T-72 hours if they are already booked in saver business (IN), provided one seat remains for sale after
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available. UPDATE: as of 7/21/17 must have >2 for sale within 72hrs of flight
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available, as long as J/F>1. Companion needs to be W or greater intl.
  • (Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare.)
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by ermintrude
Programs change and I assume you are asking for 2018. However, the answer to both of your questions has been yes for at least the last 4+ years.
Is this the case for 2016 to 2017 soft landings? In 2015 to 2016, I had a GS peer that hard landed to Gold (earned) after his travel stopped.

In the past, I've seen GS be soft landed to 1K with 6 GPUs on a 0 EQM year (2014?) and GS soft land to 1K with no upgrade instruments.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:20 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by jgsx
Is this the case for 2016 to 2017 soft landings? In 2015 to 2016, I had a GS peer that hard landed to Gold (earned) after his travel stopped.
First I've heard of this - If that is the case then maybe it is discretionary? Maybe others who went from GS - 1K (or below) can chime in?

Last edited by ermintrude; Feb 13, 2017 at 10:22 pm Reason: added (or below)
Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:30 am
formerly bbrantley

I was GS in 2015, quit my job and flew basically nothing, and was 1K in 2016 with the usual GPUs and everything else.

Now back to GS in 2017 with PassPlus, and the spend should mean I'll "earn" GS for 2018... and soft land 1K in 2019. Whee... :-)
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM, AA EXP 1.25MM
Upgrading an award ticket

What is the process for upgrading an award ticket? Does it need to be done over the phone? There is PN space available however, I don't see anywhere online where the upgrade can be pushed through. Is this not allowed if I have a companion on the same itinerary?
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by UALAXFLYER
What is the process for upgrading an award ticket? Does it need to be done over the phone? There is PN space available however, I don't see anywhere online where the upgrade can be pushed through. Is this not allowed if I have a companion on the same itinerary?
You must call in. Your companion is eligible if you are using an upgrade instrument from your account.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
16 GS on this morning's IAH-SFO UA 404 😳
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by st530
I'm guessing many are connecting to TPAC flights.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: United GS, Hilton D, Marriott G
Smile

Originally Posted by wxguy
Same Flight on 2/2, only two of us. It varies.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by wxguy
Including me.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:20 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
GS Not Found
Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:13 pm

Any idea how quickly United follows up on a complain sent through the "Contact Us" form as a GS?

Thank you!
Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nygiants242
Any idea how quickly United follows up on a complain sent through the "Contact Us" form as a GS?

Thank you!
Usually within 24 hours sometimes faster sometimes longer. That's been my experience at least. I usually just email them directly.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by sammyindc
Usually within 24 hours sometimes faster sometimes longer. That's been my experience at least. I usually just email them directly.
+1. Use the GS email address provided with your material.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:46 pm

Didn't keep it unfortunately. Would someone mind PMing me? Thank you!
Old Feb 16, 2017, 4:28 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by UALAXFLYER
Yes, you need to call in, they always say it's complicated and takes about 5 minutes. It does work great however, I successfully upgraded my entire family on a Mexico vacation in January. Great perk for GS members.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.