Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: getagb
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2016]
Thread on 2017 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2017 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.
Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Polaris First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade under T-72 hours provided 2 seats remain for sale afterwards and they are at the top of the waitlist
  • GS can create saver Polaris First (O) space at T-72 hours if they are already booked in saver business (IN), provided one seat remains for sale after
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available. UPDATE: as of 7/21/17 must have >2 for sale within 72hrs of flight
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available, as long as J/F>1. Companion needs to be W or greater intl.
  • (Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare.)
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Absolutely! I always take this approach:

A few minutes before boarding, I walk up to the GA (as long as they are not crazed) and I ask where they prefer that I stand for GS pre-boarding. I usually make some joke about how long the G1 line gets and they always laugh. Many have said that they appreciate that I had asked, and often they do have a preferred place for me (and other GS) to stand. When there are several other GS on I flight, I find some do exactly what I do, and others watch from a distance and then walk over as they figure out why I am standing in that spot.

The only people that get agitated over this are the people who have been standing at the very front of the G1 line for a while, and then when pre-boarding starts they often see a parade of pre-boarders walk in front of (or in some cases, around) them.

Originally Posted by villox
To me the main advantage of being GS during boarding is not having to stand in the G1 lines which have become very large especially on hub to hub flights. It's not so much the difference between the end of GS and the beginning of G1, but rather the end of G1.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by meducate
Absolutely! I always take this approach:

A few minutes before boarding, I walk up to the GA (as long as they are not crazed) and I ask where they prefer that I stand for GS pre-boarding. I usually make some joke about how long the G1 line gets and they always laugh. Many have said that they appreciate that I had asked, and often they do have a preferred place for me (and other GS) to stand. When there are several other GS on I flight, I find some do exactly what I do, and others watch from a distance and then walk over as they figure out why I am standing in that spot.

The only people that get agitated over this are the people who have been standing at the very front of the G1 line for a while, and then when pre-boarding starts they often see a parade of pre-boarders walk in front of (or in some cases, around) them.

I usually do this.. or make eye-contact and nod. The BOS staff is great and will actually proactively grab me and tell me to go ahead and scan/board before making the PA announcement for GS.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: UA GS
Just received my Marriott downgrade from Platinum to Gold.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: UA GS, AA PLAT, DL PLAT, EK SILVER
Marriott Status

I too just received notification of only Gold status at Marriott...Is this an official change? This is a major downgrade if true.

I'll reach out to Global Services to find out if no one has any information.

Sven
Old Feb 28, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Received email from UA welcoming to new GS reception at IAH (Terminal C). I've already used it a couple times, sure it'll be a benefit at busy times.

Notably, at end of email it mentions new Global Reception at LAX coming summer 2017. ^
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: UA Global Svcs 3 MM, LH Senator, BA Gold
Originally Posted by SvenB1414
I too just received notification of only Gold status at Marriott...Is this an official change? This is a major downgrade if true.

Sven
Disappointingly, me too...

Let us know what you hear.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, Library Card holder

Sven
This prompted me to go check. I have been downgraded from Gold to Silver!
Old Feb 28, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
1st ever MB tarmac ride this afternoon in EWR. And should add 1st time had a GS agent greet me on jetway ^
Old Feb 28, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by K2BF
This prompted me to go check. I have been downgraded from Gold to Silver!
Platinum to Gold today
Old Feb 28, 2017, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+

Sven
Marriott Platinum for GS was never an official or published benefit. Some just got lucky. So no, it's not an official change. The official policy always said Marriot Gold.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 3:20 am

Programs: UA GS/MM, Marriott TE, National EE, Global Entry/TSA-Pre, APEC BTC
GS only gets gold. Confirmed with UA and Marriott. Yes, some got lucky a while ago. I had to work to get MR platinum myself....and now i got it
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:35 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
I'm sure this questions has been asked before.

If I am buying a ticket to, in this case Florence, IT, and I want my wife to join me using an award ticket and none are available, will UA create or force the availability? Something in the back of my mind says this is a GS perk. I may be mistaken.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
I'm sure this questions has been asked before.

If I am buying a ticket to, in this case Florence, IT, and I want my wife to join me using an award ticket and none are available, will UA create or force the availability? Something in the back of my mind says this is a GS perk. I may be mistaken.
That's correct although it must be a premium cabin ticket that you are purchasing (with cash). If you just buy an economy ticket, they won't open an extra economy seat (unless T inventory is available).
Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:16 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Got it, thanks.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Anyone have success getting United to protect on downstream connections that are at risk due to mechanical delays? Agent telling me this has been out the door for a year for all including GS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.