Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: getagb
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2016]
Thread on 2017 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2017 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.
Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Polaris First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade under T-72 hours provided 2 seats remain for sale afterwards and they are at the top of the waitlist
  • GS can create saver Polaris First (O) space at T-72 hours if they are already booked in saver business (IN), provided one seat remains for sale after
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available. UPDATE: as of 7/21/17 must have >2 for sale within 72hrs of flight
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available, as long as J/F>1. Companion needs to be W or greater intl.
  • (Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare.)
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2017, 11:36 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Denied entry at SFO GFL, while traveling BF on P.S. flight!!

I showed the guy my boarding pass. Response was: "We don't offer Global Services access to this lounge anymore. It's shown on the United.com website"

I don't know if he saw the BP long enough to discern that it was a PS flight and not an international flight. If he thinks it applies to intl flights, he is dead wrong and I will challenge it next time. For P.S. flights, I can't find anything on the site that addresses it either way. Anyone else know about this?
Old Feb 26, 2017, 12:08 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I just entered on 23 February while flying 777-300ER to EWR.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:44 am
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Wow, the loss of SFO GFL access on p.s. might be real. Here's what is now on the GS lounge access page:

United Global First Lounges

As we begin to introduce United Polaris Lounges, we will sunset the existing United Global First Lounges.  Until that time, we will continue to offer access to United Global Services members traveling in United Polaris.

Hong Kong
San Francisco
Tokyo Narita
Washington Dulles
London Heathrow
One guest permitted when in United Polaris first class. Sorry, no guests permitted when in United Polaris business class.
No mention of access on p.s.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
Wow if they took away the P.S. GFL access perk that hurts. Just seems like an unnecessary poke in the eye, especially with the INTL terminal UC cut in half for renovations. They stand to lose nothing by keeping this perk while the GFLs last, and only tend to really irratate GS customers for no good reason. This is short sighted, and yet another reason to add to the pile as to why the majority of my SFO-NYC business goes to JetBlue's mint.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: UA GS
Having now traveled several times this year since becoming GS, I'm curious what everyone thinks about the move to make GS more "discreet", in particular the signage.

I wouldn't even really have picked up on the move to the globe symbol in lieu of signage specifically highlighting GS everywhere, and this globe symbol is also missing on the new gate signs for Group 1. Is the thought that if you travel enough, you know GS boards first and don't need signs? And disabled, families, and military don't stand in a particular lane, so no need to have GS stand there?

Personally I've just stopped standing in the Group 1 line at all and entering whatever is the clearest path to get to the boarding door.

They're still making the gate announcements so I'm not sure who it's really meant to make feel better that Global Services is no longer on any signage anywhere.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by porciuscato
I showed the guy my boarding pass. Response was: "We don't offer Global Services access to this lounge anymore. It's shown on the United.com website"

I don't know if he saw the BP long enough to discern that it was a PS flight and not an international flight. If he thinks it applies to intl flights, he is dead wrong and I will challenge it next time. For P.S. flights, I can't find anything on the site that addresses it either way. Anyone else know about this?
I wouldn't fully trust the GFL lounge dragons at SFO. I just posted a few days ago, in the "GFL Access" thread, tales of the agents trying to turn me away because I was arriving on an international (polaris) flight and connecting, and not departing on the international flight (as they claim was the only case for admittance).

Bottom line is the rules need to be made super clear on the website and posted at the lounge entry and the agents need to know the rules.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM+, HH Gold, Marriott Platinum
I'm surprised the global services passengers have fallen so far down the ladder in terms of boarding priority. It seems passengers with disabilities, parents of small children, military members, then Global Services passengers. At one point a few years back, GS passengers led all in boarding the aircraft.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
I look at it this way: having GS listed atop the Group 1 sign led to immense confusion. The new approach facilitates pre-boarding from a direction other than through the Group 1 lane if one is so inclined.

Originally Posted by villox
Having now traveled several times this year since becoming GS, I'm curious what everyone thinks about the move to make GS more "discreet", in particular the signage.

I wouldn't even really have picked up on the move to the globe symbol in lieu of signage specifically highlighting GS everywhere, and this globe symbol is also missing on the new gate signs for Group 1. Is the thought that if you travel enough, you know GS boards first and don't need signs? And disabled, families, and military don't stand in a particular lane, so no need to have GS stand there?

Personally I've just stopped standing in the Group 1 line at all and entering whatever is the clearest path to get to the boarding door.

They're still making the gate announcements so I'm not sure who it's really meant to make feel better that Global Services is no longer on any signage anywhere.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 5:25 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by porciuscato

The flight has to be a Polaris flight, I believe this is only international. I've used this lounge a number of times but always on an international flight connection, coming from BOS.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by aveRex
I'm surprised the global services passengers have fallen so far down the ladder in terms of boarding priority. It seems passengers with disabilities, parents of small children, military members, then Global Services passengers. At one point a few years back, GS passengers led all in boarding the aircraft.
AA CK boards ahead of everyone and maybe GS should consider that.

Flying from NRT to DEN on Saturday, there were 13 wheelchairs and probably 20-30 people who pre-boarded ahead of GS. I'm not sure it really mattered since they were all in coach, but it was A LOT of people.

It would be easier to just call for pre-boarding and allow GS to board at any time. Calling disabled, then families, then military, then GS seems ridiculous.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by bldr1k
AA CK boards ahead of everyone and maybe GS should consider that.

Flying from NRT to DEN on Saturday, there were 13 wheelchairs and probably 20-30 people who pre-boarded ahead of GS. I'm not sure it really mattered since they were all in coach, but it was A LOT of people.

It would be easier to just call for pre-boarding and allow GS to board at any time. Calling disabled, then families, then military, then GS seems ridiculous.
I write in to GS customer service about this all the time. I encourage my GS colleagues to do so as well. That being said, at some airports (BOS, SEA for example) I've been asked by the GS agent to board even before the announcements have been made -- so at least some of the airport agents understand this issue.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 4:27 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
At NRT they have a system where there is a defined area at the front of BG1 specifically for GS, this seems to work well and eliminates the roaming typically seen by GS folks trying to determine where to congregate. Last Friday there were 18 GS members on the TPE to SFO flight and they were scattered all over until they were called then it was like a mad rush around the various BG's to get to the GA taking tickets. This seems like a simple no cost solution.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: United 1K

Yes, I noticed this on my flight yesterday. I was flying LHR-SFO-SNA. I'm waiting to board at SFO and I'm just hanging out in the boarding area, as the group lines are all full already.

They make the Global Services announcement and I don't see anyone in the Group 1 line move, so I kinda just bypass the line and move to scan my boarding pass. The guy stops me and says "Did I call your group sir?"

I say, "Well, you just called Global Services, didn't you?" He apologizes and lets me on the plane.

I'm sure to him, he thought I was just some guy that skipped the line, since I wasn't really queued up anywhere. I think having GS board before EVERYONE would eliminate a bit of the confusion. Also, the gap between GS and group 1 is so quick sometimes, it doesn't really feel you're getting anything special anymore as a GS. Half the time its like literally 20 seconds between calling GS and then group 1.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by dangerhsun
Yes, I noticed this on my flight yesterday. I was flying LHR-SFO-SNA. I'm waiting to board at SFO and I'm just hanging out in the boarding area, as the group lines are all full already.

They make the Global Services announcement and I don't see anyone in the Group 1 line move, so I kinda just bypass the line and move to scan my boarding pass. The guy stops me and says "Did I call your group sir?"

I say, "Well, you just called Global Services, didn't you?" He apologizes and lets me on the plane.

I'm sure to him, he thought I was just some guy that skipped the line, since I wasn't really queued up anywhere. I think having GS board before EVERYONE would eliminate a bit of the confusion. Also, the gap between GS and group 1 is so quick sometimes, it doesn't really feel you're getting anything special anymore as a GS. Half the time its like literally 20 seconds between calling GS and then group 1.
To me the main advantage of being GS during boarding is not having to stand in the G1 lines which have become very large especially on hub to hub flights. It's not so much the difference between the end of GS and the beginning of G1, but rather the end of G1.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
To me the main advantage of being GS during boarding is not having to stand in the G1 lines which have become very large especially on hub to hub flights. It's not so much the difference between the end of GS and the beginning of G1, but rather the end of G1.
Yup!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.