Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:22 am

Hi Everyone,

I have an award flight in J coming up for KBV->BKK->SIN->TPE->ORD. All the segments are on one ticket. I added the SIN segment instead of flying BKK->TPE because I wanted to try the lie-flat in Thai 787 (and to also get around the Excursionist restriction by adding a SQ segment). Today, I noticed that my BKK-TPE has an equipment change from a lie-flat to an angled flat. I vaguely remember that for international flights, the contract of carriage (for AA) states that an equipment change gives you the same power as a schedule change. Can I use this equipment change to change my routing to KBV->BKK->TPE->ORD?

Thanks!
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by petey2428
Can I use this equipment change to change my routing to KBV->BKK->TPE->ORD?
No and you can't make single segment changes anyway unless there's inventory available for all flights on the ticket.

With TG you don't know what equipment they will actually use until you show up at the gate. If you're referring to the BKK-SIN segment, word is they will use the new 789 on that route, so you might even get lucky.

Last edited by Kacee; Sep 21, 2017 at 8:50 am
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:53 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by petey2428
.... I vaguely remember that for international flights, the contract of carriage (for AA) states that an equipment change gives you the same power as a schedule change. Can I use this equipment change to change my routing to KBV->BKK->TPE->ORD? ....
For UA, this equipment change cause only applies to UA operated flights. Although you probably can get a free cancellation of the award / paid ticket for such an equipment change. But a re-routing of an award ticket with partner segments will require present space availability (of the entire trip).
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:54 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
With TG you don't know what equipment they will actually use until you show up at the gate.
Yes, well documented in TG forum
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
For UA, this equipment change cause only applies to UA operated flights.
Right. UA contract of carriage applies to UA and UX operated flights (and codeshares, in certain circumstances).

When UA undertakes to issue a Ticket, check baggage, or make any other arrangements for transportation over the lines of any other carrier on an interline basis (whether or not such transportation is part of a through service), UA will act only as agent for the other carrier in these limited capacities, and will assume no responsibility for the acts or omissions of such other carrier
CoC Rule 3D.

TG flight will be subject to its CoC.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Right. UA contract of carriage applies to UA and UX operated flights (and codeshares, in certain circumstances).

CoC Rule 3D.

TG flight will be subject to its CoC.
Thanks for the responses. I just wanna see what I can get away with. I'm aware that TG is known for last minute equipment change. I'll survive on an angled flat for the 2 hour day flight to Singapore.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I have personal travel scheduled next month, and just today I found out about needed business travel on the day of my return. The available (and inexpensive) flight out would give me a little more than an hour of connecting time from one reservation to the next. So if everything is on time, no problem.

Except - I will need to check bags. I've read that it's difficult to get bags interlined UA to UA when on two different reservations. I wouldn't have time to claim my bag and re-check it. Would it do any good to call in advance and try to make arrangements? Or do I show up early enough for my first flight to try to make sure I can get the bags sent through OK? Any thoughts?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
.... Would it do any good to call in advance and try to make arrangements? Or do I show up early enough for my first flight to try to make sure I can get the bags sent through OK? Any thoughts?
I don't see what calling in would do to help but arriving 30 minutes or so earlier on the first flight would be a good idea. If the agent is struggling, gentle mentioned "the last agent called the Help Desk and they had some magic, that worked"
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I don't see what calling in would do to help but arriving 30 minutes or so earlier on the first flight would be a good idea. If the agent is struggling, gentle mentioned "the last agent called the Help Desk and they had some magic, that worked"
Thanks. I'm in the habit of arriving early for flights anyway, but there's less incentive at this airport because there's no club. I'll get there in plenty of time and show them both itineraries. I'll remember the "help desk" if they have any issues.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 3:35 am

I have a 3 leg ticket booked through UA in P class.

After the first leg of BKK-NRT-EWR I will reach silver status. Will the next part from EWR-LAX be eligible for the extra 2x award for silver status for whatever amount they break up the price between the flights? Or does it required to have the whole ticket completed first?

Thank you for your help.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by prog

After the first leg of BKK-NRT-EWR I will reach silver status. Will the next part from EWR-LAX be eligible for the extra 2x award for silver status for whatever amount they break up the price between the flights? Or does it required to have the whole ticket completed first?

Thank you for your help.
I had the same situation last year- all legs of the segment will likely post at the General Member rate. Once they post and your status is reflected, email the MileagePlus desk and they'll post an adjustment for the extra 2x on the last leg.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:43 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by prog

Thank you for your help.
Originally Posted by Wooglin
I had the same situation last year- all legs of the segment will likely post at the General Member rate. Once they post and your status is reflected, email the MileagePlus desk and they'll post an adjustment for the extra 2x on the last leg.
Interesting. I have an upcoming itinerary which includes IAH-NRT-BKK and I will cross the threshhold to qualify for MP Silver on the IAH-NRT segment. Can I e-mail MP to get NRT-BKK adjusted for more miles, as well?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by 1984SW
Interesting. I have an upcoming itinerary which includes IAH-NRT-BKK and I will cross the threshhold to qualify for MP Silver on the IAH-NRT segment. Can I e-mail MP to get NRT-BKK adjusted for more miles, as well?
Yes, after the flight.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
Thanks. I'm in the habit of arriving early for flights anyway, but there's less incentive at this airport because there's no club. I'll get there in plenty of time and show them both itineraries. I'll remember the "help desk" if they have any issues.
I had a similar situation a while back and client was happy to pay the change fee + fare difference on my personal itinerary to add the business flights to my personal ticket so I could check bags through without risk of missing the connection. Might be worth asking.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:41 pm

Husband is about 5k PQM short of gold for the year. He's got a RT flight ORD-DUB booked, but admin booked on Aer Lingus, not through UA. Since it's not a UA ticket, it will get him some miles but not PQM, correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.