Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
I'm a 1K, bought a UA ticketed fare with no residual value if cancelled. Companion bought same itinerary later, separate PNR (still within 24-hr refund range)

I'm already CPU'ed for second segment, companion has no status. Any advice to either get her seated in Economy plus with me, or possibly even on the CPU list would be appreciated. If best move is to refund 2nd PNR and repurchase as single PNR, throw away 1st PNR, I'm ok with that.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
I'm a 1K, bought a UA ticketed fare with no residual value if cancelled. Companion bought same itinerary later, separate PNR (still within 24-hr refund range)

I'm already CPU'ed for second segment, companion has no status. Any advice to either get her seated in Economy plus with me, or possibly even on the CPU list would be appreciated. If best move is to refund 2nd PNR and repurchase as single PNR, throw away 1st PNR, I'm ok with that.
call and they'll move her into Y+ (just have her last name and confirmation number handy)
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by segiddins
call and they'll move her into Y+ (just have her last name and confirmation number handy)
Strictly speaking, as the OP has been CPU'ed, this will not work on the second segment. You can guest someone in E+ only when you are also in E+.

However should work for the first segment -- not need to be on the same PNR.
OP can request at the gate to have the companion added to the gate upgrade list -- YMMV if the GA will do this,
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:12 pm

Programs: Does it matter any more?
13 yr old, accompanied by mom on outbound, dad on different return - separate PNRs?

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...hensively.html tries to explain the system.

No -- just book as another adult and all will be fine.
Originally Posted by Wooglin
Trying to wangle a way for my 10 year old to accompany me on a work trip.

Corporate travel agent has to book my ticket, but can't book hers, so I have to do that on my own...

If I book her on a separate (award) PNR for the same flights, do I have to book her as an Unaccompanied Minor, even though we're technically traveling together?
I have a similar situation. My 13yr old is flying out with my spouse on one itinerary. My spouse is returning earlier. My 13 yr old is returning with me a week later.

When I try to book a separate ticket for my 13 yr old, it requires I input his date of birth. Using that data, it flags him as a minor and requires I sign up for unaccompanied minor service.

I thought I'd ticket two separate one-ways for each of us. i.e.
  • Wife and 13yr old on a OW, outbound
  • Wife on a separate OW, return
  • Myself on a separate OW, outbound
  • 13yr old and I on a OW, outbound

But, that just blows the prices out significantly as compared to booking 3 RT - one for each of us.

I haven't yet ticketed any of us (myself, my spouse or my 13 yr old). Any suggestions?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:04 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by legionnaire
I haven't yet ticketed any of us (myself, my spouse or my 13 yr old). Any suggestions?
Is this domestic?

If so, very simple solution, book one ways. Most all North American tickets can be had as two one ways for same round price trip price. Call it the Southwest effect

Been doing it myself for years in case I need to change a flight and don't have to reprice both legs. Downside if you have to change both, they you get hit with two change fees.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: Does it matter any more?
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Is this domestic?

If so, very simple solution, book one ways. Most all North American tickets can be had as two one ways for same round price trip price. Call it the Southwest effect

Been doing it myself for years in case I need to change a flight and don't have to reprice both legs. Downside if you have to change both, they you get hit with two change fees.
Domestic. Priced it out. Marginal difference : 56$ more as several OWs vs the other way. Thanks. Will go with the OWs.
Will post back here if any surprises as I complete ticketing.

Last edited by legionnaire; Apr 23, 2017 at 10:09 pm
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by legionnaire
Domestic. Priced it out. Marginal difference : 56$ more as several OWs vs the other way. Thanks. Will go with the OWs.
Will post back here if any surprises as I complete ticketing.
I believe you could also book your and your spouse's tickets, then call in and have an agent issue your child's itinerary. I had to do this recently with Delta when using miles from my children's FF accounts for their flights. I couldn't book it online because it appeared to be a UM situation, but I booked my flight first and the agent booked theirs as stand-alone PNRs with no problem. They couldn't check in online because, again, the system throught they were UMs, so we had to check in in person. Other than that, no issues and no UM charges.

Just do it within 24 hours of buying your tickets so you can cancel if this doesn't work.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:45 pm

Is there overhead storage on the upper deck of the 747 Polaris? Don't know if I want to shlep my bags up the stairs.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FolliesFlyer
Is there overhead storage on the upper deck of the 747 Polaris? Don't know if I want to shlep my bags up the stairs.
Smaller than standard size -- most standard rollaboards will not fit, computer bag or small backpack may fit.
There is a large closet with room for your rollaboard. Window seats also have some storage.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP & million miler
OLCI upgrade offer in addition to waitlist?

New UA flyer; Gold via status match (longtime AA PLT/EXP). I'm waitlisted for an ORD-BRU flight in a couple of weeks (5/13), full Y fare. I really want to visit the Polaris lounge in ORD!

Do waitlisted mileage upgraders get offered cash buy-ups? I'll take the first option offered to me, just want to make sure I'm aware and prepared for any should they come through.

I've looked through the wiki unsuccessfully, so if someone can point me to current waitlist rules that would be helpful also.

EDIT: Just saw the link to the upgrade thread in post 641 above. Oops.
Thanks-

Last edited by masonp123; Apr 25, 2017 at 3:37 pm Reason: Committed cardinal FT sin - bad search...
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:59 am

Had a booked saver award in business, KRK-VIE-LAX-SFO with the first two segments on OS.

KRK-VIE was delayed and I would miss the LAX flight, so agents at the airport rerouted me KRK-FRA-SFO with the FRA-SFO flight on United.

Would UA refund me the difference between the United Award rate and the Partner award rate since I ended up flying United?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by tagshell
Had a booked saver award in business, KRK-VIE-LAX-SFO with the first two segments on OS.

KRK-VIE was delayed and I would miss the LAX flight, so agents at the airport rerouted me KRK-FRA-SFO with the FRA-SFO flight on United.

Would UA refund me the difference between the United Award rate and the Partner award rate since I ended up flying United?
This one is tricky
If originally booked via UA as flown, it would have been at the lower rate. However, due to OS problems, it was rebooked by OS? (no UA agents at KRK), so this was not an UA claused / initiated change.

Not sure what UA will do with this but it is worth pursuing. My quess is UA will not "refund" but will provide some miles as "compensation."

What fare class were you rebooked into?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles
Extended Air Travel is Dangerous For Your Health

Originally Posted by Ronlap
Topic 1:

SFO-LAS RT. On seat page, "Upgrade to United First from $61 or 20,000 miles." When I click on "View Options" the next page comes up with Buy up to United First for $154 per person SFO-LAS and No upgrade available for the LAS-SFO.

I also get emails every week about the nonexistent $61 buy up. What gives?

==============

Topic 2:

I was on flight UA 447 LAX-SFO on December 27. The aircraft suffered from pressurization problems during takeoff and many passengers were pretty uncomfortable. The pilot came on to let us know that the problem was resolved, but I suffered some minor sinus discomfort for a couple days afterwards.

That evening I took my mom to the emergency room (not related in any way to the flight) and was amazed to see two of my FAs there. I went to talk to them and was told that they were sent there for a routine followup after the flight. Interesting.
Several studies have found that jet lag can cause fatigue and gastrointestinal problems, and can also influence genes linked to aging and the immune system, increase the risk of stroke or heart attack and, in its chronic form as demonstrated by a study on cabin crew, cause cognitive deficits like memory impairment. YIKES
Old May 1, 2017, 12:55 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
How many miles would be earned by a 1K in M+ for a LH-issued ticket on a LH flight in T class that's 500 miles long: 250 = base miles earned, but would the 1K bonus be 100% of the 250 base earn or the 500 miles flown? Therefore for a 1K, the total M+ award miles for LH T class would be 1x miles flown or 1.5x? Similarly, if the LH flight were in C class (ie, 200% base earn), would the resultant award miles be 3x or 4x of the miles flown by a 1K?
Old May 1, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
Just wanting to confirm, if I request a MileagePlus award for a two leg itinerary with one leg international (Polaris) and one leg domestic and only the domestic leg gets upgraded, I get my miles and co-pay refunder, correct?

(Currently waitlisted on the Polaris leg FRA-IAH, but domestic leg upgraded immediately)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.