Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:09 pm

quesiton - using points to fly J class IAD-MAD in early August but don't have enough points to fly J on the return, so we're flying Y. The tickets are booked.

I will have the balance necessary to have a J redemption in a few weeks via chase UR sign on bonus earn. The question is, how likely am I to "upgrade" to J class on my return if I transfer over the required points to MP account and assuming there is saver availability?

Is that even possible or do I have to book it all at once or not at all?

TIA!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gumercindo
I will have the balance necessary to have a J redemption in a few weeks via chase UR sign on bonus earn. The question is, how likely am I to "upgrade" to J class on my return if I transfer over the required points to MP account and assuming there is saver availability?

Is that even possible or do I have to book it all at once or not at all?

TIA!
If there is saver J availability, you should be able to change to it upon paying the applicable fee ($0-$125, depending upon status and the amount of time before departure). You'll want to call; don't use the word "upgrade" or you may confuse the agent. It's an award change.

You may run into problems changing the return if inventory is no longer available on the outbound. A good agent should be able to work around this, especially if you're looking at an all-UA award, but it's something to be aware of. You could reduce that risk by booking two one-way awards instead of a round-trip; the downsides are that you would not be eligible for an 'excursionist perk' (free one-way flight within Europe during your stay) and you'd have to pay double the fees if you end up cancelling your trip.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Booking LH/UA to Herzogenaurach

I need to fly to Herzogenaurach for a week. I don't see any commercial flights to HZH so I think I have to fly in to NUE.

I'm trying to decide between a few options. The main ines I see are:
  • ORD-FRA (UA), FRA-NUE (LH)
  • ORD-FRA (LH), FRA-NUE (LH)
  • ORD-ZRH (Swiss), ZRH-NUE (Austrian)
I have the following assumptions. Can anyone tell me if any are incorrect?
  • All of these options if booked through UA will earn PQM and PQD, BUT the non-UA operated PQD won't count towards global services status
  • If I buy a LH/Swiss flight through UA; I can't select my seat or buy premium economy seats
  • if i buy those flights through LH then I can select my seat (for a fee) or buy premium economy BUT I won't earn as much PQD.
  • If I buy a ticket through Swiss hen I won't earn any PQD.
Is that all correct? I really want to maximize my odds of getting a GS invite, but I am also really interested in trying LH's premium economy product.

Any other suggestions? Routes or considerations I missed? As always, thanks in advance for your help.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
4 pax on 1 PNR - 2 UA gold and 2 no status. 4 E+ seats?

Hello all!

I'll be booking a paid UA flight in December later this year for 4 people; I and one of my traveling companions will reach Gold by October. The other 2 flyers with us don't have status.

The gold E+ benefit is for the traveler and one companion - since 2 of us on the same PNR have gold, will we be allowed to reserve E+ seats for both of our companions?

I was thinking about making 2 separate bookings - both with a gold and non-status member - but I'd prefer to avoid this if possible.

Thank you for your time and help!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by getagb
I need to fly to Herzogenaurach for a week. I don't see any commercial flights to HZH so I think I have to fly in to NUE.

I'm trying to decide between a few options. The main ines I see are:
  • ORD-FRA (UA), FRA-NUE (LH)
  • ORD-FRA (LH), FRA-NUE (LH)
  • ORD-ZRH (Swiss), ZRH-NUE (Austrian)
I have the following assumptions. Can anyone tell me if any are incorrect?
  • All of these options if booked through UA will earn PQM and PQD, BUT the non-UA operated PQD won't count towards global services status
  • If I buy a LH/Swiss flight through UA; I can't select my seat or buy premium economy seats
  • if i buy those flights through LH then I can select my seat (for a fee) or buy premium economy BUT I won't earn as much PQD.
  • If I buy a ticket through Swiss hen I won't earn any PQD.
Is that all correct? I really want to maximize my odds of getting a GS invite, but I am also really interested in trying LH's premium economy product.

Any other suggestions? Routes or considerations I missed? As always, thanks in advance for your help.
For starters, I don't understand why you would not be able to select your seat regardless of booking through UA or LH. Once the reservation number is given, you should be able to go to "manage booking" on the LH site and make seating/upgrade changes.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
All of these options if booked through UA will earn PQM and PQD, BUT the non-UA operated PQD won't count towards global services status
Correct.

If I buy a LH/Swiss flight through UA; I can't select my seat or buy premium economy seats
Correct, but only if seat selection requires payment. If flying on a V fare or higher, or in a higher cabin, you can select seats. The problem is that LH has difficulty collecting fee payments on an 016 ticket.

No Advance LH Discount Economy seat selection & other seating issues w/ UA Tkts (016)

if i buy those flights through LH then I can select my seat (for a fee) or buy premium economy BUT I won't earn as much PQD.
If you fly a non-UA flight on a non-016 ticket, you will earn zero PQD. But you can pay a fee to select a seat or upgrade to premium economy.

If I buy a ticket through Swiss hen I won't earn any PQD.
Correct.

You can purchase an LH premium economy ticket on 016 stock directly by calling United. If you are willing to pay the advertised fare, this is probably the best choice.

I don't see any commercial flights to HZH so I think I have to fly in to NUE
Herzogenaurach Airport (EDQH, no IATA - HZH is Liping, Guizhou, China) does indeed appear to have no commercial air service.

Originally Posted by vegascraig
Hello all!

I'll be booking a paid UA flight in December later this year for 4 people; I and one of my traveling companions will reach Gold by October. The other 2 flyers with us don't have status.

The gold E+ benefit is for the traveler and one companion - since 2 of us on the same PNR have gold, will we be allowed to reserve E+ seats for both of our companions?

I was thinking about making 2 separate bookings - both with a gold and non-status member - but I'd prefer to avoid this if possible.

Thank you for your time and help!
Yes, you should be able to get E+ for everyone on one PNR. If the website doesn't work just call.

Last edited by findark; Apr 20, 2017 at 3:36 pm
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Thank you findark!
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Originally Posted by Kacee
LH agent will ask you at check-in at FLR whether you want to check them through or pick them up at FRA.

As already mentioned, checking in on UA has nothing to do with it.
The LH staff at FLR were multi gentili -- with 5 agents clustered around at one point trying to make it work -- but my final question (about the 12 hour, 25 minute layover) was the kicker. The agent could not see my UA flight to check the bags through, tried all sorts of things on the computer, eventually called someone, and was told it was impossible because of the layover over 12 hours. HUCA not possible at the ticketing desk!

Don't know whether that's a UA or LH or FRA limitation. Lesson learned.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lskohn
The LH staff at FLR were multi gentili -- with 5 agents clustered around at one point trying to make it work -- but my final question (about the 12 hour, 25 minute layover) was the kicker. The agent could not see my UA flight to check the bags through, tried all sorts of things on the computer, eventually called someone, and was told it was impossible because of the layover over 12 hours. HUCA not possible at the ticketing desk!

Don't know whether that's a UA or LH or FRA limitation. Lesson learned.
Sorry to hear it didn't work for you. Must be an LH-UA limitation. Was given the choice last month on a 13.5 hour layover BUD-FRA-LAX with no issues at all, but that was an LH-LH connection.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Flying ORD-MUC-BUD tomorrow, checked in online without any issues. However, the app isn't offering a mobile boarding pass, only to email to myself & print at home.
Not that it really matters for this flight, but why don't I have the option for the in-app /  Wallet boarding pass?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:10 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by segiddins
Flying ORD-MUC-BUD tomorrow, checked in online without any issues. However, the app isn't offering a mobile boarding pass, only to email to myself & print at home.
Not that it really matters for this flight, but why don't I have the option for the in-app /  Wallet boarding pass?
Did they actually email you a BP, or just an email that says you need to print it at the airport?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:48 pm

They emailed me a PDF of both boarding passes
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:03 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
In that case, you are checked in. That's the important part. You can print out the pdf or at chicken at the airport.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:49 am

I know being checked in is the important part, but I'm still curious why no mobile boarding pass option for this flight, since I've not had it happen before.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by segiddins
I'm still curious why no mobile boarding pass option for this flight
Only United's IT department can answer that. Anything on FlyerTalk would only be conjecture.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.