Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 20, 20, 7:13 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference (up fare) might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but only at check-in

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Generally, fees for upgrades are non-refundable if you voluntarily cance. If UA cancels or fails to provide the upgrade, the fees will be refunded. On voluntary changes, the agent may transfer to the changes flight but that is not standard policy.

True up-fares (ADD/COLLECT) are transferable if the appropriate inventory space is available.

Fees paid for upgrades now {2020) earn PQPs
Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Print Wikipost

Old Nov 5, 18, 2:49 am

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Originally Posted by spin88 View Post
However, what is being reported here, is United either dropping the price of a F seat dramatically so that they are selling that last seat for often less than people paid even for Y (narrowing the buy-up) or just flat out trying to grab any revenue rather than give an upgrade. I feel very different about that, as I think it is very short sighted. The implicit bargain of elite status is "I give you my business, even when United is not 100% the best option, and you in turn give me better treatment, including upgrades when you don't sell that seat" But if UA will do anything to sell that seat out from under you, you are a sucker.
That's exactly what I caught Continental doing in their last days pre-merger. I would be on the waitlist, as a Gold, for DFW-IAH, and at the check in kiosk, I'd be offered the upgrade on that short flight for $40 or so. I'd decline. And ride in coach. Every. Time.
Go figure, it's a "revenue management" culture that survived the merger!
What made it worse was when we started complaining, so CO made the computers NOT offer the buy up to elites. At that point, the Kettles in 59F were paying $40 to fly in first, while we Golds were never given the opportunity at all. THAT was a slap in the face.
I support their right to run their business however they see fit.
And I support my right to take my business elsewhere!
Phil Level likes this.
Old Nov 5, 18, 5:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, HH Gold, MR Titanium, IHG Spire, Accor Silver, National EE, Hertz PC
11/4 SIN-SFO $1079 @ check-in from K. The offer at purchase was like $2500. Anyway, no-brainer for me, I took it.
Old Nov 5, 18, 10:02 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Santander View Post
11/4 SIN-SFO $1079 @ check-in from K. The offer at purchase was like $2500. Anyway, no-brainer for me, I took it.
Did you take this at the gate? I saw someone do that at E4 yesterday.
Old Nov 5, 18, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by Legend717 View Post
That's exactly what I caught Continental doing in their last days pre-merger. I would be on the waitlist, as a Gold, for DFW-IAH, and at the check in kiosk, I'd be offered the upgrade on that short flight for $40 or so. I'd decline. And ride in coach. Every. Time.
Go figure, it's a "revenue management" culture that survived the merger!
What made it worse was when we started complaining, so CO made the computers NOT offer the buy up to elites. At that point, the Kettles in 59F were paying $40 to fly in first, while we Golds were never given the opportunity at all. THAT was a slap in the face.
I support their right to run their business however they see fit.
And I support my right to take my business elsewhere!
This is still happening, and besides an annoying insult to GS and 1Ks who give thousands of dollars in revenue each year, it's actually rather stupid from a business standpoint. Since the upgrade offer is, in one form or another, offered to everyone, savvy Kettles are able to figure out that spending $100 for a F seat with endless booze and free food along with free checked bags, is a better deal than paying $80+ dollars to check bags and another $20 for food and drinks in the terminal or onboard during the flight.

The idiot "consultants" at CO/UA figured out a way to simultaneously annoy the airline's best customers, while short-changing their own ancillary revenue. Pure genius, if you're another MBA consultant idiot who thinks this is a good idea.

Now, offering the "true and fair" difference in pricing between a customer's coach ticket and the lowest available "published" front cabin fare, or offering a cheap segment fee upgrade at the gate (after bags are checked) when the # of available F seats exceeds the upgrade list - those are fine, and I've taken advantage of it myself back when I flew reimbursable work tickets, but we all know that's not exactly what they are doing.
Old Nov 5, 18, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, HH Gold, MR Titanium, IHG Spire, Accor Silver, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by iluv2fly View Post
Did you take this at the gate? I saw someone do that at E4 yesterday.
Nah, I did it at the check-in counter.
Old Nov 5, 18, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
CDG TOD

Does anyone have any recent data points on IAD-CDG upgrade offers at OLCI?
I purchased a very inexpensive fare below W class so GPUs wont apply sadly.
Only other option is to spring for the 20,000 mile upgrade + $550. On a 7 hr flight I feel like its a bit of a waste.
Old Nov 5, 18, 11:09 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
This is still happening, and besides an annoying insult to GS and 1Ks who give thousands of dollars in revenue each year, it's actually rather stupid from a business standpoint. Since the upgrade offer is, in one form or another, offered to everyone, savvy Kettles are able to figure out that spending $100 for a F seat with endless booze and free food along with free checked bags, is a better deal than paying $80+ dollars to check bags and another $20 for food and drinks in the terminal or onboard during the flight.
Similar play to game this system. I'm a lowly Silver on UA, but need the extra leg room from E+ and don't want to chance winding up in E- so I usually just buy the E+ "upgrade" (for whatever reason, a subscription isn't reimbursable, but paying each time is... and I'd rather not fight city hall). That generally leaves me with $110-$130 to play with when the buy up is offered. It's typically been $175 or so on my routes, so I wind up with an option to buy up on a ~3 hour flight for a net of $50 after they refund my E+ buy. That's a no brainer in my book and I try not to even drink the booze. If it's any consolation, I've not once gotten my meal choice thanks to you pesky 1Ks! :-D
Old Nov 7, 18, 11:35 am

Programs: United
TLV?

Anyone with recent experiences from EWR - TLV or TLV - EWR?
Old Nov 7, 18, 12:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
And people still wonder why RPU's don't clear anymore. At $139 for LAX to EWR I would pull the trigger on that even if I had an RPU waiting to clear!
And that's the key.
I did this on ORD-LHR. GPU pending and a $689 offer came up.. Pulled the trigger. I was 5th on the list for two seats.. NO upgrades cleared.

Battefileds are where certs + MP upgrades go to die
Old Nov 7, 18, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Yup. If you apply an instrument to a segment or a leg, the upgrade offers now stop.

David
Yes... However you can still buy a battlefield upgrade by using "Checked in options" and checking the seatmap.
Old Nov 7, 18, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Is the $689 TATL upgrade offer pretty standard? Im on a K fare but flight from IAD-CDG is very light as of now. Debating on 20K miles + $550 co-pay or risking it and waiting for an offer. . .

Any suggestions??

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis View Post
And that's the key.
I did this on ORD-LHR. GPU pending and a $689 offer came up.. Pulled the trigger. I was 5th on the list for two seats.. NO upgrades cleared.

Battefileds are where certs + MP upgrades go to die
Old Nov 7, 18, 12:57 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by globetraveler View Post
Is the $689 TATL upgrade offer pretty standard? Im on a K fare but flight from IAD-CDG is very light as of now. Debating on 20K miles + $550 co-pay or risking it and waiting for an offer. . .

Any suggestions??

When offered with a good number of J seats available, I've seen numbers in the $700 - $900 range. But if only two or three J seats are showing as still available, the figure will be north of $1200 - $1500.
Old Nov 7, 18, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by globetraveler View Post

Any suggestions??

First time I have seen such a juicy offer.
Old Nov 7, 18, 2:33 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by McFlyPHL View Post
Similar play to game this system. I'm a lowly Silver on UA, but need the extra leg room from E+ and don't want to chance winding up in E- so I usually just buy the E+ "upgrade" (for whatever reason, a subscription isn't reimbursable, but paying each time is... and I'd rather not fight city hall). That generally leaves me with $110-$130 to play with when the buy up is offered. It's typically been $175 or so on my routes, so I wind up with an option to buy up on a ~3 hour flight for a net of $50 after they refund my E+ buy. That's a no brainer in my book and I try not to even drink the booze. If it's any consolation, I've not once gotten my meal choice thanks to you pesky 1Ks! :-D
I am a silver, and have never failed to get an E+ seat, as long as I check in near T-24. Some of these appeared to be full in E+, but seats opened up by the time check-in time came around. Not worth buying.
Old Nov 8, 18, 3:25 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER View Post
I am a silver, and have never failed to get an E+ seat, as long as I check in near T-24. Some of these appeared to be full in E+, but seats opened up by the time check-in time came around. Not worth buying.
not worth buying is a bit subjective, no? In this case it reduces my out of pocket cost for and F buy up considerably. Difficult to see that as not worth it from my vantage point.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: