Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference (up fare) might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but generally only at check-in (Aug 2022 update, frequent reports of award ticket cash upgrade offers; at booking, after booking and check-in. Unclear under what conditions.

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Generally, fees for upgrades are non-refundable if you voluntarily cancel. If UA cancels or fails to provide the upgrade, the fees will be refunded. On voluntary changes, the agent may transfer to the changes flight but that is not standard policy.

True up-fares (ADD/COLLECT) are transferable if the appropriate inventory space is available.

Fees paid for upgrades now {2020) earn PQPs
Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2024, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Offered 541 to upgrade from W fare to Polaris on EWR-LHR about 10 days out and bought it.
cesco.g, Kmxu and 8MiHi like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Was offered $299 to upgrade to Premium Plus in April on IAD-HND, first time I checked directly after purchase. I thought that was a good deal so I took it.
8MiHi and Warriorconcept like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA, SPG
Hi everyone - I have a question that I think I know the answer to, but just want to confirm. I have an award ticket from HND to SFO in Economy. I see that there are upgrades to Premium Plus for $419, which seems like a good deal. The only issue is that I'm not 100% sure I'm going to be able to make this trip. If I pay to select a premium plus seat and then end up canceling the award ticket, am I out the $419?
Old Mar 28, 2024, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Flyguy85
Hi everyone - I have a question that I think I know the answer to, but just want to confirm. I have an award ticket from HND to SFO in Economy. I see that there are upgrades to Premium Plus for $419, which seems like a good deal. The only issue is that I'm not 100% sure I'm going to be able to make this trip. If I pay to select a premium plus seat and then end up canceling the award ticket, am I out the $419?
I've been refunded the premium plus purchase in this situation.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:16 pm

Programs: United
SIN-SFO

SIN-SFO (9pm departure) mid-May, midweek, offered ~$707 from A -> J (x2) about a day after booking ... can't believe I am saying this but I took it given very low expectations of an MUA+copay success as silver. Probably overpaid but it's a short trip on the ground relative to travel time, which also influenced the decision.
Had to get some agency ticketing stuff cleared up first but this came up right after United got that done.
Kmxu and tstauck like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ski CB
Probably overpaid
No, no you didn't. . Miles + copay would have been 30K miles plus a $450 co-pay. A $707 cash price values the miles at 0.85 cents each. That's an easy mark to beat.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
No, no you didn't. . Miles + copay would have been 30K miles plus a $450 co-pay. A $707 cash price values the miles at 0.85 cents each. That's an easy mark to beat.
Or calculating in a different way.
According to point guy valuation, the UA miles are valued at 1.4 cents per mile; 30K miles are worth $420. Adding the copay ($450), you would have to pay $870. So, you come out ahead by only paying $707 or less than $50 per hour.
Good job!
jsloan, SPN Lifer, Ski CB and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 3:28 pm

5/27 ORD-HND upgrade offer from PP to Polaris is $4,710 with about 85% of the cabin available for sale. Ouch. The 30K + 450 would be great but my no-status self would never clear. Sigh...
Old Mar 28, 2024, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Ski CB
SIN-SFO (9pm departure) mid-May, midweek, offered ~$707 from A -> J (x2) about a day after booking ... can't believe I am saying this but I took it given very low expectations of an MUA+copay success as silver. Probably overpaid but it's a short trip on the ground relative to travel time, which also influenced the decision.
Had to get some agency ticketing stuff cleared up first but this came up right after United got that done.
that is legit an amazing deal lol
jsloan, SPN Lifer and Ski CB like this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 10:34 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by rktj
5/27 ORD-HND upgrade offer from PP to Polaris is $4,710 with about 85% of the cabin available for sale. Ouch. The 30K + 450 would be great but my no-status self would never clear. Sigh...
Unless you have visibility to the waitlist for the PZ bucket, not sure why you would say your status matters. Even those with higher status would have to put in a MUA or PP.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
I'm being offered $829 to move from Economy to Premium Economy on SFO-SYD. Has anyone seen a better price offered lately? On another forum someone mentioned that it can be better than that the day of departure. PE doesn't have many open seats but Polaris has quite a few.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Or calculating in a different way.
According to point guy valuation, the UA miles are valued at 1.4 cents per mile; 30K miles are worth $420. Adding the copay ($450), you would have to pay $870. So, you come out ahead by only paying $707 or less than $50 per hour.
Good job!
I am curious on how UA miles be valued at 1.4c, especially for TPAC flyers. In the few occasions where a few savers J open up, only Plat and above can get them and they are gone quickly. They also give up the RDMs of the elite revenue tickets. I would think the 1.4c is near the maximum value. For normal cases the value looks closer to 1.0-1.2 c than 1.4c.

I guess there are those close to departure situations where J fare jumps up ridiculously to a huge number of thousands, and the adjustment of the award fares lags in time. Then one could get more value of the miles. But I am not sure to use 350,000 miles for a $7K J ticket is the purpose of my collecting miles.

Last edited by PanAmWT; Mar 30, 2024 at 10:49 pm Reason: adding the second paragraph
Old Mar 31, 2024, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
I am curious on how UA miles be valued at 1.4c, especially for TPAC flyers. In the few occasions where a few savers J open up, only Plat and above can get them and they are gone quickly. They also give up the RDMs of the elite revenue tickets. I would think the 1.4c is near the maximum value. For normal cases the value looks closer to 1.0-1.2 c than 1.4c.
That’s specifically why I wrote my version of the message without mentioning a particular value — everyone has their own.

That said, I don’t think I’ve ever gotten less than 2 cpm on my UA redemptions, and often better than that. But the best redemptions aren’t by flying UA — or they’re by flying UA just enough to use the Excursionist Perk.

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
I guess there are those close to departure situations where J fare jumps up ridiculously to a huge number of thousands, and the adjustment of the award fares lags in time. Then one could get more value of the miles. But I am not sure to use 350,000 miles for a $7K J ticket is the purpose of my collecting miles.
If I had 350K miles, I would much rather use them than spend $7K on a flight — but I can’t think of a situation where I’d have both (a) allowed my balance to get that big and (b) have someplace to get that was so inflexible that a $7K ticket was on the table. But, as you say, YMMV.
SPN Lifer and friedablass like this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
That’s specifically why I wrote my version of the message without mentioning a particular value — everyone has their own.

That said, I don’t think I’ve ever gotten less than 2 cpm on my UA redemptions, and often better than that. But the best redemptions aren’t by flying UA — or they’re by flying UA just enough to use the Excursionist Perk.
Yes I have found the miles could be worth more on partner flights. Unfortunately, that is rarely useful for me as a TPAC flyer.

My best use of miles is 100K miles for a one-way J savers award, revenue price ~ $2600. I figure the value being $2600/(100000 miles + 2600 x 14 miles*) = 2600 / 135000 miles = 1.9c. But this is not the same as 1.9 cents cash. If it were 1.9 cents cash I can use it any time. It is 1.9 cents only in a very small percentage of times when UA's IN seats are open and the schedule meets my requirement. Besides, I would lose 1600 PQD, which may be prorated to 10 additional Plus Pints).

*14 miles from 11 RDM and 3 CSR credit card

For Gold member or below, they need to spend 170K miles for the same J ticket, so their miles is worth about 1.1 cents - when the savers are available. Otherwise the standard J upgrade is at least 200,000 miles these days.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
My counterpoint that is I think you're overvaluing the cash-equivalent fare because it would be lower if you deployed your flexibility and time on Premium Fare Deals instead of finding award space
zombietooth likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.