FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1812065-ua-upsell-offers-business-first-pp-purchase-day-departure-tod.html)

joe_miami Jan 3, 18 2:18 pm

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

Here's my latest one: Bought a 3-segment one-way from New York to Mexico for $215; the F/J price was $420. (First segment is very short, and the next two are wide open, so I'm expecting CPUs to clear.)

As soon as I purchased, the pop-up window offered me a buy-up for ... $840. Makes no sense. I could go into the reservation and buy up for the ~$200 fare difference.

hokiebuy Jan 6, 18 5:36 pm

LAX - IAD ($135 - $550)

V-class economy fare. This flight had non-flat business class seats, offered $135-270 couple of days before the flight. $135 was a great price IMHO, but my family member declined to spend the money. At OCLI it s $550.
Question: She has star alliance Gold via partner airlines and if she has taken the upgrade for $135 would she be able to use same-day-change (SDC) feature to get on a different flight with lie-flat seats at no cost?

Kmxu Jan 6, 18 6:48 pm

IAH-AUS, $79, Jan. 6

At check-in, an agent gave me this price for the last seat ($79). Declined for 30-min hop.

Bidu Jan 7, 18 2:17 am

LAX-SIN Polaris offered $989 (last 2 seats), decided to grab it.
IFE sound, usb, power wasnt functional, FA offered $200 credit for inconvenience.

theboss7593 Jan 8, 18 10:07 pm

Sorry been sick since I've been home, couple of data points.

MCO-EWR 1/3 $220 @ OLCI. declined. (flight ended up cancelled)
MCO-EWR 1/4 $489 @OLCI. declined (flight ended up cancelled)

My Girlfriend and I, our reservation ended up getting split (by United when we were rebooked) Not sure which time. since we had 3 cancelled flights.

Morning of 1/5 call in since I can only get one seat on a 530p and can't get two since they split our reservation. Agent finds two seats on the 830p flight.
I ask if agent can sit us together, which he says he can and puts us in 10 D and E. (which is E+ 737-800)

Once I hang up I log in to see if he really did that and sure enough we were seated in E+ for free.
Our reservations were still split he said they couldn't undo that so I checked us in individually.
At OLCI I noticed that I was now a Y Fare and she was still a L fare.

MCO-EWR 1/5 GF offered $1389 @OLCI (L fare) I was offered @489. obviously declined all..

CMK10 Jan 9, 18 9:43 am

A rare time I see a discounted upgrade offered.

IAD-RDU
At booking W Fare $121, P Fare $200
Premier Silver

After booking the W Fare offered the upgrade for $69, a $10 value absolutely free! I declined despite their generosity.

findark Jan 17, 18 4:11 pm

Saw another standard-issue TOD at booking:

SFO-MSP, F9 PN9 R0 (0/12), offered $199 on a G fare

Price at booking was $89 for G, and $368 for P. Declined, expecting easy CPU.

nomad420 Jan 17, 18 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 29305746)
Saw another standard-issue TOD at booking:

SFO-MSP, F9 PN9 R0 (0/12), offered $199 on a G fare

Price at booking was $89 for G, and $368 for P. Declined, expecting easy CPU.

PN9 F9 and R0 at T24.... This is why people get frustrated with RPUs not clearing. Sure people standing on RPU's will mostly likely clear on that flight but always frustrating when at <T1 you still don't know if you've been upgraded. Happens all the time, but I get it, if they can sell the seat why give it away. It is what it is.....

findark Jan 17, 18 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420 (Post 29305914)
PN9 F9 and R0 at T24.... This is why people get frustrated with RPUs not clearing. Sure people standing on RPU's will mostly likely clear on that flight but always frustrating when at <T1 you still don't know if you've been upgraded. Happens all the time, but I get it, if they can sell the seat why give it away. It is what it is.....

T-22days in this case (note the "at booking") :)

But your point is valid.

Gnopps Jan 19, 18 9:11 am

Sfo-kix $1549

Two seats leaft in business class according to seat map and availability. Declined offer during online check-in for $1549.

Jaysonb22 Jan 19, 18 9:43 am

EZE-IAH. Booked in Q, 7 Polaris seats available and offer of $659. I declined as it's an overnight flight and I am on my way home.

StuckinITH Jan 19, 18 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Gnopps (Post 29312844)
Two seats leaft in business class according to seat map and availability. Declined offer during online check-in for $1549.

Sorry, I got confused and thought you were the one with the Q fare. What was your original fare?

Originally Posted by Jaysonb22 (Post 29312983)
EZE-IAH. Booked in Q, 7 Polaris seats available and offer of $659. I declined as it's an overnight flight and I am on my way home.

Overnight flights would make me more tempted to take the TOD.

Joe K. Jan 19, 18 12:08 pm

I was concerned that since making Siver I would no longer receive the standard $159 TOD offer for my EWR-IAH flight yesterday. It wasn't looking good at T-24 as the offer was $1309 for two remaining F seats. However around T--12, it dropped to $159 and I snagged my lie flat for the ride home.

salisboss Jan 19, 18 12:14 pm

EWR-MAN $800 to upgrade from V. No dice.

Jaysonb22 Jan 19, 18 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH (Post 29313082)
Overnight flights would make me more tempted to take the TOD.

My comment is that if I don't sleep well its the weekend and I will have time to rest if I need to. If I had to go straight to work I would be more inclined.