Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference (up fare) might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but generally only at check-in (Aug 2022 update, frequent reports of award ticket cash upgrade offers; at booking, after booking and check-in. Unclear under what conditions.

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Generally, fees for upgrades are non-refundable if you voluntarily cancel. If UA cancels or fails to provide the upgrade, the fees will be refunded. On voluntary changes, the agent may transfer to the changes flight but that is not standard policy.

True up-fares (ADD/COLLECT) are transferable if the appropriate inventory space is available.

Fees paid for upgrades now {2020) earn PQPs
Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2024, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AC E35k
HNL-SFO redeye on a 777-300ER - $399

Seems reasonable enough... not sure if likely to go any lower?
Old Apr 19, 2024, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by yamanote8

I paid $399 for the 772 in 2022 and $499 in the 773 last year for reference. My current offer is $639 for the 773 in July and it's been there for awhile with only 2 seats chosen so far. I'd take that offer if it were me, what month is your flight?
Old Apr 19, 2024, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AC E35k
Originally Posted by Phreal
I paid $399 for the 772 in 2022 and $499 in the 773 last year for reference. My current offer is $639 for the 773 in July and it's been there for awhile with only 2 seats chosen so far. I'd take that offer if it were me, what month is your flight?
Thanks for the points of reference, this is for a weekday in early May. Seems like the lowest it has gone for this route is $349 after some searching so not far off.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 9:33 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by yamanote8

Very reasonable. I would take this.
EmailKid and yamanote8 like this.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 11:26 am

Offered Premium Plus upgrade for $299 each SFO-NRT in May and NRT-DEN in June. Went ahead and upgraded both
iluv2fly and vg247 like this.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 12:06 pm

Is there a typical buy up offer from PP award booking to Polaris EWR-LHR? It still shows $1790 pp two weeks out.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by zitsky
Is there a typical buy up offer from PP award booking to Polaris EWR-LHR? It still shows $1790 pp two weeks out.
That seems very high. I paid $541 to upgrade from W fare to polaris EWR LHR a few weeks ago, albeit it was midweek.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Warriorconcept
That seems very high. I paid $541 to upgrade from W fare to polaris EWR LHR a few weeks ago, albeit it was midweek.
No we would not upgrade for $1790 pp. I’m tempted to upgrade for $400 pp if it goes that low. But we’ll survive in PP. I sleep well in Polaris, my partner does not.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Apologies. Original reply was for coach to PP.

-RM

Last edited by RobOnLI; Apr 22, 2024 at 1:05 pm
Old Apr 22, 2024, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
US to Europe is almost always $350-400 for coach to PP provided there's R space open. That number tells me PP is fully or heavily booked.

You can always try to change your flight to one that has R>0 but that depends on your original coach class being available, whether you can change for free (US originating tickets qualify but tickets originating from Europe do not), and possibly having to change dates. If you give us the date you're flying we can try to find something better for you. Of course, even with R open that doesn't guarantee a cheaper buy-up but I'd say chances are very high you'd find something better.

-RM
Thank you but we are so close to the date that we have no freedom to change. We will be ok in PP but if I see a good deal I’ll grab it. If I find my fare class on my receipt I’ll post it. It was booked with miles.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Thank you but we are so close to the date that we have no freedom to change. We will be ok in PP but if I see a good deal I’ll grab it. If I find my fare class on my receipt I’ll post it. It was booked with miles.
Apologies. My reply was for coach to PP because I misread your post. You are looking for PP -> Polaris. $1,790 is a bit high but not totally outrageous. Give us flight info and possibly there are flights with better opportunities. It's possible your flight is P=0 which means United isn't selling the cheapest bucket which affects TOD offers.

-RM
Old Apr 22, 2024, 1:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
No we would not upgrade for $1790 pp. I’m tempted to upgrade for $400 pp if it goes that low. But we’ll survive in PP. ...
Would not expect to see much less than $800, not $400.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
ICN-SFO next month, for me originally booked in R class, upgrade to Polaris: $1,355. Same flight and date for SO originally booked using miles (XN) then upgraded to R ($399), now upgrade to Polaris: $6,130.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 7:10 am

Programs: AA PLT (MM), UA 1K, Marriott Ti, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by technique
This has been happening to me latetly as well. IAD-CDG this summer, I already upgraded the outbound months ago and then all of a sudden last week I get "not eligible for upgrade" on the inbound which I had been checking the prices weekly.
FWIW, mine fixed itself, upgrade offers are visible once again.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by technique
FWIW, mine fixed itself, upgrade offers are visible once again.
Mine also fixed itself. Was it a UA system problem?

it just so happened that I called both UA and TP about missing seat assignments yesterday which is when it started working again. (Being able to upgrade.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.