Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference (up fare) might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but generally only at check-in (Aug 2022 update, frequent reports of award ticket cash upgrade offers; at booking, after booking and check-in. Unclear under what conditions.

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Generally, fees for upgrades are non-refundable if you voluntarily cancel. If UA cancels or fails to provide the upgrade, the fees will be refunded. On voluntary changes, the agent may transfer to the changes flight but that is not standard policy.

True up-fares (ADD/COLLECT) are transferable if the appropriate inventory space is available.

Fees paid for upgrades now {2020) earn PQPs
Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2024, 8:24 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Yes I have found the miles could be worth more on partner flights. Unfortunately, that is rarely useful for me as a TPAC flyer.

My best use of miles is 100K miles for a one-way J savers award, revenue price ~ $2600. I figure the value being $2600/(100000 miles + 2600 x 14 miles*) = 2600 / 135000 miles = 1.9c. But this is not the same as 1.9 cents cash. If it were 1.9 cents cash I can use it any time. It is 1.9 cents only in a very small percentage of times when UA's IN seats are open and the schedule meets my requirement. Besides, I would lose 1600 PQD, which may be prorated to 10 additional Plus Pints).

*14 miles from 11 RDM and 3 CSR credit card

For Gold member or below, they need to spend 170K miles for the same J ticket, so their miles is worth about 1.1 cents - when the savers are available. Otherwise the standard J upgrade is at least 200,000 miles these days.
Please stop reminding me IN exists (jk)

Anyone have data points on LHR EWR? Have a flight next week and it's at 1.5k to upgrade from W fare to Polaris...
Old Apr 1, 2024, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
100K for one-way business award is considered as a good value nowadays is just sad.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by findark
My counterpoint that is I think you're overvaluing the cash-equivalent fare because it would be lower if you deployed your flexibility and time on Premium Fare Deals instead of finding award space
I just got a ~$5K rt J-fare from the East Coast to BKK over the summer. Nothing available with UA miles that wasn't a horrible routing (e.g. 11 hour layover in SIN) or "mixed cabin" award for less than 300K each way across a 2 month window.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 9:24 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Warriorconcept
Please stop reminding me IN exists (jk)

Anyone have data points on LHR EWR? Have a flight next week and it's at 1.5k to upgrade from W fare to Polaris...
Early morning and late afternoon LHR departures have PZ spaces for the middle of week. If your date is flexible, you will have a good chance.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
My counterpoint that is I think you're overvaluing the cash-equivalent fare because it would be lower if you deployed your flexibility and time on Premium Fare Deals instead of finding award space
We're getting off-topic here, but I often end up with intra-Asia or intra-Europe award legs for positioning to those Premium Fare Deals.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
COS to HNL RT via DEN

Jun 1 - Jun 8/9. Offer to upgrade from Economy Plus to First for DEN-HNL (HNL-DEN not available) for $1369. Hard pass.
zombietooth likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 12:06 pm

So disappointed. App offered this at check-in at T-22 or so, EZE IAH BWI from PP. Wow, $249, that's a deal to upgrade to Polaris. I clicked on it. The offer had nothing to do with Polaris - it was to upgrade the IAH BWI segment.

Old Apr 12, 2024, 5:51 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Quick questions for the UA experts. I booked an ORD-LHR in Y using 40k miles recently for travel in mid-May. After ticketing there was an offer to upgrade to PE/BIZ for $799 and $4199 respectively. The offers showed for a good 2 weeks after ticketing. Today I look and there are no offers...and clicking the "upgrade reservation" tab in the app results in a message saying upgrades are not possible for this reservation. There was roughly 20 seats open on the seatmap in J when I booked and seems to be the exact same amount. My question is do these offers when the coach fare is booked with miles have a short window where they are offered then they disappear for good? This is actually a backup flight as I have ORD-YYZ-LHR booked on AC J with Aeroplan miles if the offer never comes back at a reasonable amount it's not really a big deal. But if I can spend 40k miles + a low cash outlay on the nonstop that would be preferable.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 7:31 am

Chicago747, I also noticed that as of yesterday, all upgrade options (beyond E+) disappeared for two different TATL flights I'm taking this summer. I was thinking maybe United is updating their system or something, since both flight previously seemed to have a lot of space left in PE and Business, per the seat maps (which I understand aren't necessarily accurate).
chicago747 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 6:41 pm

I'm seeing the same thing. Used miles for Economy DEN-MUC in May and PP recently dropped to $379 which was very enticing. PP wasn't full so I kept an eye on it to see if the upgrade dropped to $300. Previously it showed the price on the seat map and you selected a seat and proceeded from there like you were paying for a normal seat selection. Now it doesn't list any price and clicking PP or Polaris seats directs to "Upgrades" where nothing is available. Choosing an E+ or Preferred seat behaves as expected.

chicago747 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 8:24 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Semi-hypothetical question from a buyup newbie: Let's say I've already purchased a coach fare on a UA flight for $600. Some time later I buyup to Premium Plus for another $349. Then day of flight I'm offered a buyup to Polaris for, let's say, $4000. Would I be dinged the full $4000 on top of the $349 PP upgrade already paid?

Or would the $349 be applied to the Polaris buyup, such that my additional cost for the Polaris buyup would be $3651? If so, would that happen at time of purchase, or would I pay the full $4000 and the $349 would be refunded sometime after the flight?
Old Apr 13, 2024, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
$699 sfo-ogg (772 hd).
Old Apr 13, 2024, 9:16 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bob12403
Semi-hypothetical question from a buyup newbie: Let's say I've already purchased a coach fare on a UA flight for $600. Some time later I buyup to Premium Plus for another $349. Then day of flight I'm offered a buyup to Polaris for, let's say, $4000. Would I be dinged the full $4000 on top of the $349 PP upgrade already paid?

Or would the $349 be applied to the Polaris buyup, such that my additional cost for the Polaris buyup would be $3651? If so, would that happen at time of purchase, or would I pay the full $4000 and the $349 would be refunded sometime after the flight?
Full 4k no refund I think
SPN Lifer and Buzzman like this.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 9:17 am

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP 75K, HH Diamond
$3278 lhr to den from Prem Plus R Fare. Bonkers.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I found the wiki to be a bit hard to follow since there are so many strike outs?

If I have to buy Economy for work, and I want to upgrade to F (or PE) and want to get miles and PQP, and be able to change flights. Do all the upgrade paths get that or do I need to call in and change the class- and are their ‘magic words’ I need to say to the agent to make sure that I’m getting everything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.