Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 20, 20, 7:13 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference (up fare) might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but only at check-in

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Generally, fees for upgrades are non-refundable if you voluntarily cance. If UA cancels or fails to provide the upgrade, the fees will be refunded. On voluntary changes, the agent may transfer to the changes flight but that is not standard policy.

True up-fares (ADD/COLLECT) are transferable if the appropriate inventory space is available.

Fees paid for upgrades now {2020) earn PQPs
Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Print Wikipost

Old Sep 14, 20, 2:40 pm

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
just wait for non-revs to be processed, haha
the flight was already closed when I posted that! 33.
Old Sep 17, 20, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by hscottm View Post
the flight was already closed when I posted that! 33.
A couple weeks ago, my EWR SFO flight on 781 J showed just 7 seats taken an hour before departure and then 30+ UA employees were upgraded at the gate; they were so loud and unprofessional throughout the flight making inappropriate jokes
Old Sep 29, 20, 1:34 am

I booked using miles, IAD to NAP (Business saver award). Then CDG to IAD (economy saver award).
The leg back home, would there be an option to upgrade (either business or Prem plus) at the airport with money? I donít have any miles left. Or is that not a possibility at all because I booked a reward ticket?
I have no status
Old Sep 29, 20, 10:37 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Deenee View Post
I booked using miles, IAD to NAP (Business saver award). Then CDG to IAD (economy saver award).
The leg back home, would there be an option to upgrade (either business or Prem plus) at the airport with money? I donít have any miles left. Or is that not a possibility at all because I booked a reward ticket?
I have no status
Cash upgrades at check-in for award tickets may happen -- not always, but may.
Old Oct 2, 20, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K; AA Platinum; SPGold; GoldPoints Gold; most other FF programs...
Does anyone have any date points for PPT-SFO cash upgrades? I could use plus points, but W fare is almost double discount coach (+$500)... and wonder if the cash upgrade day of (if avail) might be a better value?
Old Oct 2, 20, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FoxFlyer View Post
Does anyone have any date points for PPT-SFO cash upgrades? I could use plus points, but W fare is almost double discount coach (+$500)... and wonder if the cash upgrade day of (if avail) might be a better value?
Usually, the TOD upgrade (buy up at check in) is the difference between your fare and a J fare. J fares are not being discounted much if at all by UA right now, so it'll still be very pricy to buy up....definitely more than your fare-W fare difference. You're better off using plus points- either upfare to W and use 40 or go from your fare and burn 80. Although depending on the flight load you may end up with poor man's business class...an entire row to yourself. Pretty common these days.
Old Oct 2, 20, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K; AA Platinum; SPGold; GoldPoints Gold; most other FF programs...
Originally Posted by gmt4 View Post
Usually, the TOD upgrade (buy up at check in) is the difference between your fare and a J fare. J fares are not being discounted much if at all by UA right now, so it'll still be very pricy to buy up....definitely more than your fare-W fare difference. You're better off using plus points- either upfare to W and use 40 or go from your fare and burn 80. Although depending on the flight load you may end up with poor man's business class...an entire row to yourself. Pretty common these days.
Not quite sure this is true, given the data points and posts above on a variety of flights... unless you're suggesting it's just on the PPT flight? Seems like the price drops depending on number of avail J seats, not just fare difference... (at least that has been my experience pre-pandemic).

I was also curious as I see TONS of people clearing off the Upgrade list... AND seats still going out empty.
Old Oct 2, 20, 3:01 pm

Not quite sure this is true, given the data points and posts above on a variety of flights... unless you're suggesting it's just on the PPT flight? Seems like the price drops depending on number of avail J seats, not just fare difference... (at least that has been my experience pre-pandemic).

I was also curious as I see TONS of people clearing off the Upgrade list... AND seats still going out empty.
What is your Y-J buy-up price right now in your reservation? People clearing off the list and empty seats are a due to low load factors.
Old Oct 2, 20, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by gmt4 View Post
What is your Y-J buy-up price right now in your reservation? People clearing off the list and empty seats are a due to low load factors.
I have not bought the ticket yet, as I was trying to assess if I should use PP or wait for a offer at check-in. I understand buy-ups after purchase, but before check in, tend to be considerable higher (often times more than buying J outright).
Old Oct 2, 20, 3:18 pm

I have not bought the ticket yet, as I was trying to assess if I should use PP or wait for a offer at check-in. I understand buy-ups after purchase, but before check in, tend to be considerable higher (often times more than buying J outright).
I assumed you already purchased. My mistake. I'd consider any Intl J fare DPs in this thread to be invalid. If it was me I'd use PP to upgrade. Taking a step back and looking at things logically, if they were offering ~$500 (or cheap) J TODs then J would be going out full and there'd be very few left in the back of the bus. Clearly this isn't happening.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: