Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA/AA
QZ: United’s business-class passengers are drinking so much wine they are running out

United’s business-class passengers are drinking so much wine the airline is running out

United Airlines worked hard to generate buzz around Polaris, the carrier’s new business-class cabin. They appear to have been too successful.

Demand for wine in the new cabin is four times more than what the airline anticipated, a United Airlines spokeswoman told Quartz. Those thirsty passengers are sending the airline scrambling to restock on the product it uses to lure well-heeled travelers. United is certainly not the first airline to boast about its wine program.

Part of the problem might be that United offers Polaris passengers not just single glasses of wine but “wine flights,” which feature a sampling of three different glasses of wine in one sitting.

https://qz.com/952923/united-airline...s-running-out/
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
I find that the Polaris service encourages wine drinking over cocktails. They push the wine cart (and flight offerings) down the aisle and often act like its an inconvenience to ask for a cocktail, which has to be made back in the galley.

My wine consumption increased a bit just due to this service change. The flights--despite small glasses and pours--probably induce more consumption as well. I find it hard to believe that demand is 4x their projections, however.

I wonder what what the cost differential is to United between hard liquor and wine.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 12:03 am

Programs: None anymore
A very good friend of mine is a sCO FA and mainly flies SFO-KIX or related routes because she's fluent in Japanese. Anyway, she said her usual method is if someone requests a cocktail she will immediately leave the cart and make it right then and there - she doesn't make them wait. Additionally, she will ask if you want wine, cocktail, or juice/soda - she doesn't just offer wine. All the flights I've flown so far have only offered wine.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by 1015-1k
My wine consumption increased a bit just due to this service change. The flights--despite small glasses and pours--probably induce more consumption as well. I find it hard to believe that demand is 4x their projections, however.
It's been suggested elsewhere on FT that the increase, and not the total consumption, is 4x projections. That is, if they expected the new wine flights and better vintages to lead to 25% more wine being consumed, the reality is that consumption has instead doubled.

That seems plausible, though it's pure speculation.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 8:01 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Sadly as a 1K I couldn't get the Japanese meal but the no-status JPN pax on each side of me were able to.
It is still possible to order the Japanese meal in advance, like a special meal? (I know it was possible pre-Polaris, but not sure if it has changed.)

If it can be pre-ordered, perhaps the non-status passengers had done so?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 1984SW
It is still possible to order the Japanese meal in advance, like a special meal? (I know it was possible pre-Polaris, but not sure if it has changed.)

If it can be pre-ordered, perhaps the non-status passengers had done so?
My seat mate didn't because the FA when asking his 2nd choice explained what the fish was. Not sure about the aisle mate.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 1984SW
Yes, the Japanese meal can be pre-ordered for flights to and from Japan. I called United 2 days ago to do just that.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 2:55 pm

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
Originally Posted by chuck1
The flight attendants seemed perturbed about the bloody mary/mimosa cart too. I was on the westbound 947 AMS-IAD with a 50% load in business. I wanted tomato juice and it was a big production. She tried to talk me into the bloody mary mix already on the cart. As it was, I wanted a glass of water but felt sheepish because I wanted still but settled for the sparkling on the cart because I already made one special non-cart request.
Yeah, I had the same thing. I like a gin and tonic with my mixed nuts. The f/a rolled her eyes and said "are you sure I can't interest you in a glass of wine?" Then stage shouted back to her colleague in the galley "I need a g&t!" It seems to me that when they planned the service, they really thought that people would only order wine and that cocktails interrupt the flow of the planned service.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CO DCA
Yeah, I had the same thing. I like a gin and tonic with my mixed nuts. The f/a rolled her eyes and said "are you sure I can't interest you in a glass of wine?" Then stage shouted back to her colleague in the galley "I need a g&t!" It seems to me that when they planned the service, they really thought that people would only order wine and that cocktails interrupt the flow of the planned service.
Remember that the only place where people now have access to a Polaris lounge is ORD. That is where the planners assumed people would drink their cocktails! And they may be right, but we'll only know when Polaris lounges open across the system more generally.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 4:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jaymar01
Demand for wine in the new cabin is four times more than what the airline anticipated, a United Airlines spokeswoman told Quartz.
Originally Posted by 1015-1k
I find that the Polaris service encourages wine drinking over cocktails.
My theory is that the increase is based on the switch from virtually undrinkable to drinkable (though still pretty darn cheap).

The old stuff was so bad, it was suppressing demand below 'normal' levels. So when they brought in stuff that people will actually drink, "demand" skyrocketed.

Part of Smisek's cost-cutting "genius" was that UA served stuff (wine, coffee) that was so cheap, no one wanted to drink it. So they not only saved on price, but on volume, too.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by Neil35
Yes, the Japanese meal can be pre-ordered for flights to and from Japan. I called United 2 days ago to do just that.
Can also do this via the special meals request online. Did this for last month's trip to NRT and the purser told us that we had our special meals loaded and no reason to take our orders.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs
Can also do this via the special meals request online. Did this for last month's trip to NRT and the purser told us that we had our special meals loaded and no reason to take our orders.
How is the food compared to the regular food? Is it more or the same amount in terms of quantity?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Brian Chen
How is the food compared to the regular food? Is it more or the same amount in terms of quantity?
I just had the Japanese meal yesterday ex-NRT and it was a reasonable amount - between that and the cheese course + a sundae, I was stuffed. I thought the quality was so-so, some of the appetizers were really delicious but the snapper seemed a bit dry (compared to the Japanese meal I had on ANA a few weeks ago, every part of which was amazing - literally the best meal I've ever had on a plane).

Off topic, that was also my first experience with Polaris (and first time sitting in the soon-to-be-retired GF/Polaris First seats). I liked the new bedding but no offer of mattress pads or PJs.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by chleonard

Off topic, that was also my first experience with Polaris (and first time sitting in the soon-to-be-retired GF/Polaris First seats). I liked the new bedding but no offer of mattress pads or PJs.
Just ask!
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Happy to get a Polaris bear a couple of weeks ago.

But after 3411, it may be time to hang it in mock effigy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.