Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:57 pm

Hey all... been reading through the thread and haven't come across this issue. Would appreciate any help.

I'm trying to utilize the excursionist perk... ie, a free one-way (0 miles needed).

But, I have booked each of my segments as (2) DIFFERENT itineraries:
1) IAD --> LHR
2) AMS --> IAD

In theory, I should be able to get a 0-miles intra-Europe one-way flight, correct? Say, LHR --> AMS if I wanted.

I have called United multiple times and each time I am transferred endlessly between reservations, Mileage Plus, web support to no avail. No one seems to understand. I am told they cannot add it, that it needs to be done at time of booking, that it can't be done because the itineraries are separate, that itineraries cannot be combined, talk to this other department, etc etc.

Any insight into getting the free one-way added after the others are booked? On combining itineraries? On getting the free one-way with two separate itineraries?

Any insight would be appreciated, many thanks!
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by digitalpop
Any insight into getting the free one-way added after the others are booked? On combining itineraries? On getting the free one-way with two separate itineraries?
The excursionist perk is not valid on a one-way itinerary. The only way that you will be able to make this work is to cancel one of the awards, then change the other award to add that leg onto it; then, you should be able to add the excursionist perk.

If the TATL flights are all UA metal, a competent agent should be able to do that for you. If you have any partner flights in there, that could gum up the works considerably unless there is additional award space open on the flights that you want.

Expect to have to pay two sets of change fees -- one for each existing reservation. If you get lucky, you may be able to convince an agent to waive one of the fees with the logic that you're trying to make one big change. The applicable change fee depends upon time until departure and your status.

Good luck!
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I am told . . . that it needs to be done at time of booking
This is the way the system is set up. There are likely agents with the tools to override that, and add the perk for free to an existing roundtrip itinerary, but . . .

I am told . . . that itineraries cannot be combined
This is 100% correct and probably your biggest issue. The EP can only be booked as part of a single itinerary, and you have two separate itineraries.

Honestly, I wouldn't spend another minute worrying about this. If you want to fly London-Amsterdam (or somewhere else on the continent), just book a one-way ticket on one of the LCCs from one of the alternate London airports (e.g., Stansted). You can't fly nonstop LHR-AMS on any *A carrier, and LHR is a big hassle anyway.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:09 pm

Hey all... been reading through the thread and haven't come across this issue. Would appreciate any help.

I'm trying to utilize the excursionist perk... ie, a free one-way (0 miles needed).

But, I have booked each of my segments as (2) DIFFERENT itineraries:
1) IAD --> LHR
2) AMS --> IAD

In theory, I should be able to get a 0-miles intra-Europe one-way flight, correct? Say, LHR --> AMS if I wanted.

I have called United multiple times and each time I am transferred endlessly between reservations, Mileage Plus, web support to no avail. No one seems to understand. I am told they cannot add it, that it needs to be done at time of booking, that it can't be done because the itineraries are separate, that itineraries cannot be combined, talk to this other department, etc etc.

Any insight would be appreciated, many thanks!
I am pretty sure you're out of luck. The Excursionist Perk is only a perk for round-trip awards. As far as I know there is no way to combine 2 one way awards into a single R/T award. There isn't a great way to resolve this because every method I can think of involves paying a cancellation and change fee, but others may be more enlightened....
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:51 am

Programs: AA PLT
Urgent award reservation help needed

Hi all! I'm not an expert on MileagePlus, and really hope someone here can help me. After 2 months of waiting, an award itinerary I wanted (DUD-CHC-SYD-YVR-ANC on June 25) finally became available three days ago: I received notification from ExpertFlyer that a key flight (DUD-CHC) had opened up. Excitedly, I tried booking, only to receive this error after entering the credit card info:

We’re sorry, but united.com was unable to complete your request. Please try later or contact united.com Support in the U.S. and Canada at 1-800-396-1751; the U.K. at 0800 028 5003; elsewhere use the local phone number.

I tried calling the number above, and was told "I'm sorry, sir, that flight (DUD-CHC) is no longer available." I checked with the KVS Tool, and sure enough, it's available. I even called Air New Zealand and confirmed it was available for award booking by partners. I tried calling United again, and even speaking to a supervisor, but no matter what I said, the reply was always "that flight is no longer available".

For the last three days, I've tried booking this itinerary every few hours, and always with the same result (error message at the end of the booking process). This is incredibly frustrating. Please help -- any suggestions would be welcome!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If it's not available it's not available. EF can occasionally show phantom inventory. You will not win an argument with an agent regarding award availability unfortunately.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Book what you can now. Don't wait on account of a short domestic segment.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:02 am

The error message on the UA site is pretty standard. Do anything remotely difficult and you're more likely than not to get that message.

Phone reps saying "that flight no longer available..." makes it sound like the flight no longer exists. I assume they mean award seats are not available.

Others can weigh in with some ideas, but troubleshooting from my side I would look at:

1. Does searching DUD-SYD, forced connection in CHC work for the agent? Sometimes searching Point A to Point B to Point C won't work.
2. Are you able to get the routing on different days? (not that you'd book it, but to confirm availability does in fact show on the UA system)
Old Mar 22, 2017, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by Darien-l
Hi all! I'm not an expert on MileagePlus, and really hope someone here can help me. After 2 months of waiting, an award itinerary I wanted (DUD-CHC-SYD-YVR-ANC on June 25) finally became available three days ago: I received notification from ExpertFlyer that a key flight (DUD-CHC) had opened up. Excitedly, I tried booking, only to receive this error after entering the credit card info:

We’re sorry, but united.com was unable to complete your request. Please try later or contact united.com Support in the U.S. and Canada at 1-800-396-1751; the U.K. at 0800 028 5003; elsewhere use the local phone number.

I tried calling the number above, and was told "I'm sorry, sir, that flight (DUD-CHC) is no longer available." I checked with the KVS Tool, and sure enough, it's available. I even called Air New Zealand and confirmed it was available for award booking by partners. I tried calling United again, and even speaking to a supervisor, but no matter what I said, the reply was always "that flight is no longer available".

For the last three days, I've tried booking this itinerary every few hours, and always with the same result (error message at the end of the booking process). This is incredibly frustrating. Please help -- any suggestions would be welcome!
This is a time where it might be a good idea to use MatthewLAX's guide to beating United's draconian routing rules. You can google it or it is in the Wiki for the consolidated thread on United routing changes in this forum.

Also, I see he chimed in here and a big +1 to what he said. You gotta lock in the CHC - SYD - ANC now.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:18 pm

DEN>NCE in June - Business Saver Scenario

Hi all -

I'm setting up a trip from DEN>NCE on 6/14. As expected at this time of year, Business Saver Awards are slim to none, but I was able to find a good amount from BOS>NCE.

So... I entered a Multi-City search from DEN>BOS as 1st leg on the morning of the 14th arriving at 2pm, then BOS>FRA>NCE as the second leg, leaving at 5pm. For 4 tickets this will run me 480k miles for 1st/Business, versus standard award/Business for 3 one way tickets at 450k. Seems like the value is there, but I do have one question:

If I book this, and Business Saver awards come up later(say, in a few weeks) on Business Class One Ways from DEN all the way to NCE, how is United to deal with on changing the itineraries? Specifically, is it a hassle to get miles back into my account to "re-spend them"? I've read about the standard fees for award ticket changes, and I think it would be worth it to change and only spend 280k miles. I could buy my tickets home with miles rather than with cash that way...

Let me know if this isn't the right place for this kind of post. 1st time, long time

Thanks
Old Mar 22, 2017, 4:27 pm

How much does award space fluctuate? For October NA -> Asia travel, day-bay-day basis? Week-by-week? Looking for some anecdotal evidence, thanks!

Edit: found a relevant thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...7-forward.html

Last edited by toastedcoconut; Mar 22, 2017 at 4:32 pm Reason: update
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:37 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, Hyatt-Glob, all else dirt level
I think I know the answer to this, but wanted a consensus. I have 4 one ways booked using 10,000 miles each (short hop within the same state). The cost to cancel is $125 per ticket, so it makes more sense just to bail on the flight and the points rather than pay the cancel fee - I think. Sorry United.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by woodburyhome
I think I know the answer to this, but wanted a consensus. I have 4 one ways booked using 10,000 miles each (short hop within the same state). The cost to cancel is $125 per ticket, so it makes more sense just to bail on the flight and the points rather than pay the cancel fee - I think. Sorry United.
Assuming no status and within 60 days of departure, yes. It's borderline whether it's worth $125 to recover 10k miles however, and I think many people here would spend it.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:08 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

I tried calling the number above, and was told "I'm sorry, sir, that flight (DUD-CHC) is no longer available."
Award Availability on 25 Jun appears to be phantom:

[KVS Tool 8.4.3/Diamond - Awards/NH-StarAlliance/JP]
Code:
DUD  Dunedin NZ [NZDN]
CHC  Christchurch Intl NZ [NZCH]
SUN  25 Jun 2017 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Award Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ---------------------
                                                            No Award Availability
I checked with the KVS Tool, and sure enough, it's available.
Please use the [Awards/NH-StarAlliance] Method in the KVS Tool to verify actual NZ Award Availability.

If you are able to depart a day earlier or later, there are Award seats currently available:

Code:
DUD  Dunedin NZ [NZDN]
SAT  24 Jun 2017 | 1 Seat

---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------------
NZ/NM      5740    DUD   06:35     CHC   07:35     AT7      YS+
NZ/NM      5742    DUD   08:15     CHC   09:15     AT7      YS+
NZ/NM      5746    DUD   10:10     CHC   11:10     AT7      YS+
NZ/NM      5750    DUD   13:05     CHC   14:05     AT7      YS+
NZ/NM      5752    DUD   15:05     CHC   16:05     AT7      YS+
NZ/NM      5382    DUD   17:30     CHC   18:30     AT7      YS+
NZ         410     DUD   06:25     WLG   07:35     320      YS+
 -> NZ     335     WLG   08:35     CHC   09:25     320
 -> NZ/NM  5341    WLG   09:05     CHC   10:05     AT7
 -> NZ/NM  5343    WLG   09:35     CHC   10:35     AT7
 -> NZ/NM  5345    WLG   10:35     CHC   11:35     AT7
NZ         682     DUD   10:25     WLG   11:35     320      YS+
 -> NZ/NM  5355    WLG   12:35     CHC   13:35     AT7
 -> NZ/#Z  8303    WLG   08:05     NSN   08:45     DH3
 -> NZ/#Z  8845    NSN   10:05     CHC   10:55     DH3
 -> NZ/#Z  8242    WLG   08:30     PMR   09:05     DH3
 -> NZ/NM  5181    PMR   09:40     CHC   11:00     AT7

Code:
DUD  Dunedin NZ [NZDN]
MON  26 Jun 2017 | 1 Seat

---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------------
NZ/NM      5746    DUD   10:10     CHC   11:10     AT7      YS+
NZ/NM      5750    DUD   13:05     CHC   14:05     AT7      YS+
NZ/NM      5752    DUD   15:05     CHC   16:05     AT7      YS+
NZ/NM      5754    DUD   17:30     CHC   18:30     AT7      YS+
NZ/NM      5758    DUD   19:30     CHC   20:30     AT7      YS+
 -> NZ/NM  5353    WLG   12:05     CHC   13:05     AT7
 -> NZ/NM  5355    WLG   12:35     CHC   13:35     AT7
 -> NZ/NM  5359    WLG   13:35     CHC   14:35     AT7
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by KVS
Award Availability on 25 Jun appears to be phantom:
You're right, it has disappeared from KVS. It's still showing up on united.com, but I understand it's phantom at this point. However, it was most definitely not phantom previously -- it was showing as available on KVS for about three days, during which I tried booking it on united.com about 10 times, always with the same error. Very frustrating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.