Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Why can't I get them to show the VIE option? I can't imagine PIT having a more stringent MPM limits than IAD for EU-US.
UA awards aren't mileage-based; MPM isn't an issue.

I actually figured out yesterday part of what's happening. Are you seeing 200 results when you search XXX-PIT, perchance? The website search function appears to be limited to 200 results, and if the flight you're hoping to find doesn't come up in the first 200, it may not be possible to find.

I haven't figured out exactly what criterion is being used to set the 200-result limit. It does seem to prioritize a smaller number of transfers in most cases, but I don't know how it sets the priority within groupings that require the same number of transfers.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:50 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by jsloan
UA awards aren't mileage-based; MPM isn't an issue.

I actually figured out yesterday part of what's happening. Are you seeing 200 results when you search XXX-PIT, perchance? The website search function appears to be limited to 200 results, and if the flight you're hoping to find doesn't come up in the first 200, it may not be possible to find.

I haven't figured out exactly what criterion is being used to set the 200-result limit. It does seem to prioritize a smaller number of transfers in most cases, but I don't know how it sets the priority within groupings that require the same number of transfers.
Yes the search yielded 200 options (8 pages @ 25 options per page). Ok will try tinkering - maybe setting a departure time or something will help knock out some of the options...

ETA: UA.com is really stubborn - all search options does is eliminate some of the "first 200" options and does not yield new options...
Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Yes the search yielded 200 options (8 pages @ 25 options per page). Ok will try tinkering - maybe setting a departure time or something will help knock out some of the options...

ETA: UA.com is really stubborn - all search options does is eliminate some of the "first 200" options and does not yield new options...
Anything in the "Advanced Search" page should run the filter as part of the query. The web interface to filter results only acts against the 200 and does not re-query the backend.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Anything in the "Advanced Search" page should run the filter as part of the query. The web interface to filter results only acts against the 200 and does not re-query the backend.
Should but doesn't (always). For example, if you select preferred connections or connections to avoid, they're filters that are performed post-search (you can tell, because the search results will tell you that you're seeing X of 200, and you can back them out). Some of the sort options did seem to make a difference, though -- for example, if I searched for shortest duration instead of best matches, I got a different 200 results.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: UA 1K
I’m flying from SCL to IAH on a business class award. I’m trying to add the final segment to Denver.

3 UA agents have now told me that you cannot add a segment to an award ticket anymore if the entire tickets isn’t still available.

Is there a work around to this?

I remember adding segments to award tickets in December.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by boulderflyer21
I’m flying from SCL to IAH on a business class award. I’m trying to add the final segment to Denver.

3 UA agents have now told me that you cannot add a segment to an award ticket anymore if the entire tickets isn’t still available.

Is there a work around to this?

I remember adding segments to award tickets in December.
Typically, no. Agents can only see the same results as you, and piece-by-piece award ticketing doesn't work anymore. That said, I and others have had success asking for a supervisor or similar if the final segment addition seems reasonable (i.e. no 22 hour stopover in IAH). In every case I got it, though, the right inventory was still available across the entire ticket, so your case might be tougher.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:52 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
OK. As far as I understand the new UA award rules, I am allowed a stopover as a excursionist perk (or whatever they call it). But I can't seem to get it to work. Something like KRK-FRA-IAH-ORD with a stop in IAH should work, but when I do a multi-city price it comes back as 12.5K (or 25K for J). Is there something I'm missing? It's not in the region I am starting in, so it should work.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jason8612
Something like KRK-FRA-IAH-ORD with a stop in IAH should work, but when I do a multi-city price it comes back as 12.5K (or 25K for J). Is there something I'm missing? It's not in the region I am starting in, so it should work.
That's a one-way award, and there's no excursionist perk on a one-way. If you were returning to Europe, e.g., KRK-FRA-IAH-ORD-FRA, you could get IAH-ORD for free, with a stop in each city.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's a one-way award, and there's no excursionist perk on a one-way. If you were returning to Europe, e.g., KRK-FRA-IAH-ORD-FRA, you could get IAH-ORD for free, with a stop in each city.
What about under 24hrs? I know before it was never an issue but I'm guessing after the Oct changes that the system won't even allow a conx...
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
What about under 24hrs? I know before it was never an issue but I'm guessing after the Oct changes that the system won't even allow a conx...
If <24 hours, it's a legal routing, the question is whether the computer will return that routing.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:45 pm

If <24 hours, it's a legal routing, the question is whether the computer will return that routing.
It would involve me calling in and hoping the agent will be able to price it. KRK-FRA-IAH does show in J and IAH-ORD the next day is available in J, but putting those together online fails. Its 3 segments, which is no issues for the system to allow.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
putting those together online fails. Its 3 segments, which is no issues for the system to allow.
You can no longer piece together award itineraries. United presents the complete routing and you have to accept it as is. Using multi-city to book prices each segment separately.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:02 pm

It would involve me calling in and hoping the agent will be able to price it. KRK-FRA-IAH does show in J and IAH-ORD the next day is available in J, but putting those together online fails.
Most attempts at that fail. There are occasional successes, typically requiring a supervisor. Yours may be a tough sell, as it's exactly the kind of "extra flight" routing the new system was implemented to combat.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:12 pm

Most attempts at that fail. There are occasional successes, typically requiring a supervisor. Yours may be a tough sell, as it's exactly the kind of "extra flight" routing the new system was implemented to combat.
Which it would pull up KRK-FRA-IAD-ORD or KRK-FRA-VIE-ORD or some other 3 or even 4 connection combination, but something like KRK-FRA-IAH-ORD won't work.
Yup, I will have to call in and see if they could do anything.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:17 pm

Which it would pull up KRK-FRA-IAD-ORD or KRK-FRA-VIE-ORD or some other 3 or even 4 connection combination, but something like KRK-FRA-IAH-ORD won't work.
Yup, I will have to call in and see if they could do anything.
Highest chance of success is probably book KRK-FRA-IAH online and call to add the last segment.

Cancel within 24 hours to avoid charge if it doesn't work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.