Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Grace B
Is it possible to request a waitlist on HKG-SIN for a higher class, or do I have to keep checking and then request a change to the reservation? I am MP platinum.
You can waitlist for O on the UA segment HKG-SIN. If an agent tells you you can't, hang up and call again.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: CO Platinum, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Amex Plat,HHonors Gold, Leader - Leading Hotels of the World
Limited Business Availability on TK?

I'm trying to redeem into business class on TK from IAH in mid summer but I'm not seeing any (standard or saver) nonstop options even on dates when TK is selling discounted J class tickets on their nonstops. Similar limited availability from multiple other TK gateways. Any advice or insight?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 10:55 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by capitalflow
I'm trying to redeem into business class on TK from IAH in mid summer but I'm not seeing any (standard or saver) nonstop options even on dates when TK is selling discounted J class tickets on their nonstops. Similar limited availability from multiple other TK gateways. Any advice or insight?
There are no standard award on partners, thse only exist for UA operated flights.

Partner saver awards depend on the partner releasing space to the other *A partners, airlines prefer to sell seats over making seats available for award space. Looking this late for a peak travel period typically has limited availability as early birds grab the early saver availability - especially true for business class which is high demand for award travellers. More may open up if TK begins to believe they will not be successful sell the seats but that is impossible to predict if and when.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by 764toHI
I'm trying to squeeze a day trip in IST for a Middle East trip and was wondering if it is worth calling in the following one way award itinerary:

DXB-IST (13 hour layover), IST-VIE (overnight, 14 hour layover), VIE-EWR

Saver availability shows up for the segments I want if I search separately for DXB-IST and IST-NYC but UA.com will only show the shorter connections for DXB-NYC.
I have the same problem. I want to fly ADD-BKK-NRT and stop for up to 24 hours in Bangkok. There is saver ability on a flight from ADD-BKK and then 23 hours later from BKK-NRT. But the system won't give me that routing, the longest stop in Bangkok it will give me is about 16 hours and requires flying out of Bangkok at 6 a.m.

Any way around this? Will I have any look booking the 16 hour stop in Bangkok and then calling or going online to "modify" that to keep the same routing but take the later flight out of BKK to NRT which is within 24 hours?
Old Mar 8, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I have the same problem. I want to fly ADD-BKK-NRT and stop for up to 24 hours in Bangkok. There is saver ability on a flight from ADD-BKK and then 23 hours later from BKK-NRT. But the system won't give me that routing, the longest stop in Bangkok it will give me is about 16 hours and requires flying out of Bangkok at 6 a.m.

Any way around this? Will I have any look booking the 16 hour stop in Bangkok and then calling or going online to "modify" that to keep the same routing but take the later flight out of BKK to NRT which is within 24 hours?
How does this even work in the United's system? Is there inventory for every pair of connections? The above situation would suggest there is "saver inventory" for the O/D city pairs and even on the days desired, just not the particular flights (even though the flights themselves have inventory??)
Old Mar 8, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Pass
I'm having an issue with United's reward routing that seems to be pretty common in this thread. I tried talking to an agent but she was entirely unhelpful as was her manager. I feel like I knew more about the reward system than her (although maybe I don't).

Wife and I are going on a honeymoon in Jan and I'm trying to book a reward "one-way" routing on Jan 2nd: CUZ-GPS via LIM-UIO (21 hour layover in UIO). If not using miles, it's the very first ticket for sale. If using miles, every one of those routes booked individually is available using reward miles.

In fact, United has about 8 pages deep of reward availability from CUZ-GPS except the routing I want. It actually has the UIO routing I want but it wants to send me from LIM to BOG first and then BOG to UIO. I don't understand why it would do this when LIM-UIO direct is available.

I am able to separate out the UIO-GPS routing and get the connections I'm looking for, but that would require another 20K in miles.

Is the unfortunate answer here that it's A) not possible or B) I need a higher level agent?

If B - is that just trial and error?

Last edited by elonepb; Mar 8, 2017 at 12:44 pm
Old Mar 8, 2017, 4:10 pm

Hey guys,
I asked this question in another thread but I think this would be a better place for it. Trying to book a trip to India with a stopover in Europe. Routing as below -

Multi-City
SEA-BRS - 70K Business
DUB-DEL - 45K Business
DEL-SEA - 80K Business

Roundtrip -
SEA-DEL - 80K Business
DEL-SEA - 80K Business

Is this multi-city pricing correct? Is my understanding correct that Pre-Oct 2016 changes, we could do the above mentioned multi-city without incurring additional mileage charges and now we cannot?

Thanks,
Nate
Old Mar 8, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jphripjah

To answer my own question, I called to book this and just asked the agent to give me the routing with the later flight from BKK to HND, with the near 24 hour stopover, even though the system wasn't offering that routing. She did. She sent it to the rate desk and they approved it.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
How does this even work in the United's system? Is there inventory for every pair of connections? The above situation would suggest there is "saver inventory" for the O/D city pairs and even on the days desired, just not the particular flights (even though the flights themselves have inventory??)
Their system supports separate inventory for every pair of arrival and departure cities, yes. That's how married segments work when paying cash for a ticket, and it seems that married segments are coming to award tickets now. However, I also think that there may be limitations on the search used for award flights (e.g., a total query time of 1/2 second or something), and that may lead to some otherwise reasonable flights being suppressed.

Originally Posted by nit407
Hey guys,
I asked this question in another thread but I think this would be a better place for it. Trying to book a trip to India with a stopover in Europe. Routing as below -

Multi-City
SEA-BRS - 70K Business
DUB-DEL - 45K Business
DEL-SEA - 80K Business

Roundtrip -
SEA-DEL - 80K Business
DEL-SEA - 80K Business

Is this multi-city pricing correct? Is my understanding correct that Pre-Oct 2016 changes, we could do the above mentioned multi-city without incurring additional mileage charges and now we cannot?

Thanks,
Nate
Yes, the multi-city pricing is correct, and, yes, this would have priced at 160K total before the Oct 2016 changes. The post-Oct 2016 "excursionist perk" allows for a free one-way flight within a single award region. So, you could throw in a flight entirely within Europe, or within Central Asia -- or, even, if you wanted, AKL-PER, provided that it was before your return from DEL. However, you have no eligible flights on your itinerary.

The new rules have made it nearly impossible to make several perfectly reasonable stopovers without paying through the nose for them, and stopping in Europe on the way to India is one of those. :-(
Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:11 pm

Is the one-way award route from NZ legal?

Hi All
I'd like have a holiday from NZ to China or Japan.
I prefer a route like AKL-SYD-SIN-PVG (AKL-SYD by NZ, SYD-SIN-PVG by SQ)
or AKL-SYD-SIN-NRT(AKL-SYD by NZ, SYD-SIN-NRT by SQ)

Can I redeem award like these routes? Thank you guys .
Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:24 pm

I have a question.
Trying to book FAT to VNO 4 award tickets(one way) and keep getting 'We are unable to process your request' message.
Same happens if I try to book from anywhere in California to anywhere in Baltic states. But I can get plenty of availability like ORD to VNO.
Is it some kind of glitch? Looks like i will have to call but would like to have all my options in front of me instead of listening through 10 of them over the phone.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Pass
Going to repost this differently, to see if anyone can help. I'm trying to fly on Jan 2 from CUZ-GPS. The routing I want (first result in paid booking), all available via individual reward segments is:

7:22am: CUZ-LIM
10:32am: LIM-UIO
10:40am+1 (layover): UIO-GPS

For some reason it won't offer this routing to me in the system and United desk can't help either time I've called.

Why does the system want to route me through Bogota to even get close to this? CUZ-LIM-BOG-UIO [layover]-GPS. Or it is offering CUZ-LIM-GYE-UIO [layover]-GPS.

Am I missing something about the structure?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: CO Platinum, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Amex Plat,HHonors Gold, Leader - Leading Hotels of the World
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There are no standard award on partners, thse only exist for UA operated flights.

Partner saver awards depend on the partner releasing space to the other *A partners, airlines prefer to sell seats over making seats available for award space. Looking this late for a peak travel period typically has limited availability as early birds grab the early saver availability - especially true for business class which is high demand for award travellers. More may open up if TK begins to believe they will not be successful sell the seats but that is impossible to predict if and when.
Thanks WineCountryUA. I'm noticing the same lack of any availability on some LH operated flights, and would have figured that the JV would be treated differently.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by capitalflow
... I'm noticing the same lack of any availability on some LH operated flights, and would have figured that the JV would be treated differently.
Alas they do not.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Their system supports separate inventory for every pair of arrival and departure cities, yes. That's how married segments work when paying cash for a ticket, and it seems that married segments are coming to award tickets now. However, I also think that there may be limitations on the search used for award flights (e.g., a total query time of 1/2 second or something), and that may lead to some otherwise reasonable flights being suppressed.

Yes, the multi-city pricing is correct, and, yes, this would have priced at 160K total before the Oct 2016 changes. The post-Oct 2016 "excursionist perk" allows for a free one-way flight within a single award region. So, you could throw in a flight entirely within Europe, or within Central Asia -- or, even, if you wanted, AKL-PER, provided that it was before your return from DEL. However, you have no eligible flights on your itinerary.

The new rules have made it nearly impossible to make several perfectly reasonable stopovers without paying through the nose for them, and stopping in Europe on the way to India is one of those. :-(
Thank you for clarifying and confirming my understanding. This really helps a lot! I am able to find my flights through United for this itinerary. Now onto looking if I can save some miles through Singapore or Aeroplan!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.